Any Cooking Show?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only ones I watch are on YouTube!!

Can't beat YouTube when you want to see a few examples of how to do something Specific.

Bear

Yep, YouTube only for me, but even there you have to be careful. There are some guys and gals who imply "I'm an expert" until they open their mouths. One guy claimed that 250F was different in one type of smoker than another. He wasn't referring to probe placement, thermometer type, or airflow, he meant the ACTUAL temperature. I guess he lives in a different world of physics than the rest of us.

I used to watch the BBQ competitions until I started seeing things that helped me realize how scripted the outcomes were for entertainment purposes. As I watched the shows, my wife in the other room would hear me scream "Oh, that's BS" at the TV when a pro-Q'er or chef made some mistake a novice wouldn't make.

The final straw in my competition-show watching was when I learned that 3-6 hours of shooting often takes up to 16 hours a day. Some competition and reality show contestants have to be interviewed by psychologists as they progress through the selection process. It is entertainment, after all, and the producers want maximum engagement of the audience.

We now only watch one baking competition show and make a game out of picking out the scripted "mistakes," continuity errors, and winners for the day. We know it's generally fake, but what the heck. Ah, the life of a retiree.

There are a few on that walk through basic recipes and process like The Pioneer Woman. Giada and others have them too. I’m probably in the minority but I enjoy some of the competitions as well as Guys Diner Drive ins and Dives. Most the shows I just use for ideas but you can glean a lot of technique and process from them too. Heck I have a notepad nearby that I jot down the ideas on. Relative to serious lessons in techniques and cooking styles I have considered signing up for Masterclasses. I could use it for both sales training for my real job and for cooking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
I just use for ideas but you can glean a lot of technique and process
Same here . Get a lot of good ideas from Triple D .

considered signing up for Masterclasses.
The Carpenters sent me to sensitivity training . Not sure they got what they paid for .
Jeff , I see what you're saying , but you're pretty good as is .

Yep, YouTube only for me, but even there you have to be careful. There are some guys and gals who imply "I'm an expert" until they open their mouths. One guy claimed that 250F was different in one type of smoker than another. He wasn't referring to probe placement, thermometer type, or airflow, he meant the ACTUAL temperature. I guess he lives in a different world of physics than the rest of us.

I used to watch the BBQ competitions until I started seeing things that helped me realize how scripted the outcomes were for entertainment purposes. As I watched the shows, my wife in the other room would hear me scream "Oh, that's BS" at the TV when a pro-Q'er or chef made some mistake a novice wouldn't make.

The final straw in my competition-show watching was when I learned that 3-6 hours of shooting often takes up to 16 hours a day. Some competition and reality show contestants have to be interviewed by psychologists as they progress through the selection process. It is entertainment, after all, and the producers want maximum engagement of the audience.

We now only watch one baking competition show and make a game out of picking out the scripted "mistakes," continuity errors, and winners for the day. We know it's generally fake, but what the heck. Ah, the life of a retiree.

The way I do it:
When I want to try something new---New Cooker---A cut of meat for the first time.
I'll Do a search on YouTube, then I'll watch the closest 4, 5, 6 or so videos, taking notes on Temps, Times, and all other things important. Then I'll throw the 2 that are most different away, and average out the other 3. That's where I'll start on my first try. Make changes after that---Many times changes aren't needed.

Also after you use YouTube awhile, you get to know who on there does things the way it works best for you, such as The "Sous Vide Everything" guys.

Bear

I used to watch triple D, until he started bringing his son on the show.

Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
There are a few on that walk through basic recipes and process like The Pioneer Woman. Giada and others have them too. I’m probably in the minority but I enjoy some of the competitions as well as Guys Diner Drive ins and Dives. Most the shows I just use for ideas but you can glean a lot of technique and process from them too. Heck I have a notepad nearby that I jot down the ideas on. Relative to serious lessons in techniques and cooking styles I have considered signing up for Masterclasses. I could use it for both sales training for my real job and for cooking.
And I enjoy seeing ideas they come up with on Carnival Eats. Maybe because I've had deep fried butter at the fair ? And yes...
It was amazing lol

Reactions: jcam222
I wish the food network would bring Alton back. I'm sick of seeing Guy Fieri 24/7. Chris
Triple D was entertaining for a bit but seeing the same old thing got old fast. When the nepotism started and Fieri began dragging his love-rat on the show with him that was it for me. I haven't watched any of the stupid crap that he hosts these days, maybe he's still trying to cram his kid down our throats, I wouldn't know. RAY

My favorite YouTube channels are:

Sip and Feast - all about making New York Italian food

Food Wishes - educational and amusing

And my latest discovery - Helen Rennie

I still enjoy Fieri but only Triple D show. That show is just a wealth of ideas for cooking. All the other competition crap I don’t watch. I don’t mind Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay either. Again just great shows to pick up techniques and ideas.

I am so tired of these cooking competitions! I really miss shows that actually cooked and taught. I think Rick Bayless was the last good show I seen. Are they any real cooking shows on anymore? I about to just go back and watch old ones on Youtube.
I miss Julia and Jacques Pépin.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I started out watching The Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr when I was a kid. I think that started me on my cooking hobby. (That, and the fact that my mother was not a great cook.)
Then it was the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith, until he was sued for molestation by 7 of his former, young, male apprentices. Oops.
I also loved the Great Chefs series on PBS.

These days though, it's just too easy to look up whatever I want to cook on YouTube. There's always several different versions to choose from.

I still enjoy Fieri but only Triple D show. That show is just a wealth of ideas for cooking.

I learned fairly recently that recipes featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives are available on The Food Network website. At least 1750 of them are, at the present time.

Recipes featured on Triple D

That's pretty cool, as I've seen quite a few on the show that I'd like to replicate. And some of these are on a scale appropriate for home use.

Then there are the others that start with 75 lbs of flour or 120 chicken thighs or some such, those will require a bit of scaling down...

Reactions: bauchjw and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky