Another stuffed eggplant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Many thanks to MJB05615 MJB05615 for the post, it got me inspired to do my take on this. No disrespect to his original recipe and techniques, I just can't help myself tweaking new (or old) recipes even my own.

Found some Sicilian eggplants, not sure they are the same as he found but they were round.
1.jpg

split them in half, also evened out the bottom so they sit flat and not tilted to one side.
2.jpg

Used a melon baller to scoop out the flesh
3.jpg

Put the innards into a colander and salted them to remove some of the liquid (probably did not do this long enough).
4.jpg

Mixed ground beef, some hot Italian sausage, crushed garlic, black pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, 2 eggs and small can of tomato sauce.
5a.jpg

cooking it up
6.jpg
started to boil the shells while I went onto sautéing the eggplant innards mixed with onions.
4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

Shells done, might have over cooked a bit was fine.
10.jpg

Added to the meat mixture - fresh grated pecorino romano cheese, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese..yes we like cheese.
9.jpg

mixed in the cooked eggplant
11.jpg

Sauced the bottom of the tray, stuffed the eggplant with the mix, topped with more grated pecorino
13.jpg

Topped with even more mozzarella, yes we are in NY so we like cheese...did I say that before?
12.jpg

All baked off with a little broil at the end for color on the top.
14.jpg
Plated, I will be doing this again, low carb and very tasty. I might try and bake the shells next time instead of boiling...possibilities are endless. Much appreciation to Mike for posting this up. Did not think I needed a side but could always add some if wanted.
15.jpg

Very nice!! I will have to try this. Bookmarked as a reminder. I don’t do a lot of eggplant this is something I think my wife and I would really like.

Reactions: clifish
Looks great Cliff. I'm gonna try some of your add ons, they sound good. Great job and nice photo work.

Very nice!! I will have to try this. Bookmarked as a reminder. I don’t do a lot of eggplant this is something I think my wife and I would really like.
Thanks, I think you will like it. I don't make eggplant often enough.
Looks great Cliff. I'm gonna try some of your add ons, they sound good. Great job and nice photo work.
Thank you for the start on this! I like the added sausage, the cheese especially the ricotta added great creaminess to the finished cook.
Very cool using MJB05615 MJB05615 As an inspiration. You guys both crushed it. I’ve never done stuffed eggplant. Definitely bookmarked for later! Awesome job!
Thanks, you will love it

Looks great clifish!! I need to do more with eggplant... I like it but never think about it.. Tried some in the garden a few years ago but didnt have much luck with them.

Looks great clifish!! I need to do more with eggplant... I like it but never think about it.. Tried some in the garden a few years ago but didnt have much luck with them.
Thanks, I have had bad luck growing them as well. Now that the deer are starting to come in the backyard I think I am going heavy on growing ghost and reaper peppers to really get back at them:emoji_astonished:

• Haha
Reactions: Sowsage
Thanks, I have had bad luck growing them as well. Now that the deer are starting to come in the backyard I think I am going heavy on growing ghost and reaper peppers to really get back at them:emoji_astonished:
I'd love to watch deer eat a couple reapers!! I bet their tongues would be slapping their eyebrows😂😂😂

That really looks good, will have to give it a try!
We do something similar with poblanos, but love eggplant & have bookmarked this for future use!
Thanks for posting it!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky