Another Sourdough Kettle Success

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
With my sister down for a few days i took some time off with sausage and bread. She left yesterday morning so last night i started another sourdough.

My starter was ready to go. did a full rise to the lid and fell back some.
bfst.JPG

50g starter added to 350g filtered water. Mix good then add 500g unbleached red mill artisan bread flour and 14g sea salt.
bfst1.JPG

Mix by hand just until the water is all mixed in.
bfst2.JPG

Cover for an hour.
bfst3.JPG

Did my first stretch and fold 25 times just rotating the bowl. Continue with the stretch and fold in 4 steps within 2 hours covering after each.
After the final (#4) stretch and fold cover and leave on counter to BF=Bulk Ferment
bfst4.JPG

This morning after overnight BF.
bfst5.JPG

Now turn it into the banneton. I still need to work on this part, put back in fridge covered while the kettle is heating.
I did sprinkle some corn meal on the top which when turned into cast will be the bottom.
bfst6.JPG

Got good temp now ready for the cast iron.
bfst8.JPG

More corn meal and a parchment. 20 mins with handle towards me, then flip around for another 20 mins.
bfst7.JPG

40 mins and uncover. Instant read says 199* Need IT of 210-211
bfst9.JPG

Flip around to brown up the bread.
bfst10.JPG

Got IT at 211* now let cool for 4 hours.
bfst11.JPG

Looks great Rick! I guess different recipes call for different times & temps. Judy only takes her sourdough bread to 190-200.
Al

That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! Didn't know the process was that involved.

Ryan

You are on a roll. That starter is on steroids! That is same recipe and process for cooler weather I use. Now that it is warming up won't be able to do the overnight. Will go to 100 grams starter and bulk in fridge overnight.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky