Another Round Of Sirloin Tip Roast Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
As promised, no cell phone pix this time. Picked up 3 sirloin tip roasts all around 10 lbs each and let the good times roll.

My muffin-top Tractor Supply bucket worked well for this.

e3d0f0b9_DSC_0001.jpg

Getting the coriander/black pepper/garlic rub on.

965a0548_DSC_0004.jpg

8 hours of smoke and 1 day of resting in the fridge later:

4ea7241d_DSC_0007.jpg

69ac2b35_DSC_0012.jpg

07a5c9d9_DSC_0015.jpg

wow, that looks fantastic great Job.

I like using sirloin Tips for Corned beef and Pastrami

allot leaner and less waste.

how long did you cure them?

wow, that looks fantastic great Job.

I like using sirloin Tips for Corned beef and Pastrami

allot leaner and less waste.

how long did you cure them?

I agree 100%. They were in the brine for 10 days after pumping them with 10% (closer to probably 8 or 9% after it finished leaking back out) of their weight.

I have always used brisket, but I have to try sirloin tip.

It looks delicious!

I have as well but then I started comparing the cost of using brisket vs sirloin tip roast and after trimming brisket was much more expensive. And then there is the time savings of not having to trim a bunch of packer briskets.
smile.gif

That looks great solar. A lot of time the sir tips go on sale for 3 bucks a pound or so. I can see how it ultimately would be more cost effective than a brisket at 2.18 a pound. May I ask what you paid for your meat?

Case price was $2.78/lbs.

Excellent!  I have been wanting to try pastrami with a silver side roast, as I understand the aussies do for corned beef. 

When you count in the waste from the brisket and the leaner quality of the round or sirloin tip, I don't think cost would be a major factor.

Good luck and good smoking.

Looks good. I think you should bring some down next spring for the gathering so I can try it before I fall asleep!
biggrin.gif

So, I'm assuming (and I know how dangerous that is) that you "hot smoked" to a "cooked" temp? I guess what I'm asking is details about cook temp and final target internal temp.

I cook a lot of que and am getting used to a kinder/gentler way of cooking!!

Looks fantastic, by the way. I see where the economy of a leaner cut of meat could pay off.

So, I'm assuming (and I know how dangerous that is) that you "hot smoked" to a "cooked" temp? I guess what I'm asking is details about cook temp and final target internal temp.

I cook a lot of que and am getting used to a kinder/gentler way of cooking!!

Looks fantastic, by the way. I see where the economy of a leaner cut of meat could pay off.

Your assumptions are exactly right. I smoked it over oak @ 235* until the internal temp hit 160*. They were then foiled so they could rest for a couple hours and then stuck in the fridge overnight before slicing. The meat is very tender and I don't feel it needs to be steamed before serving.

Your assumptions are exactly right. I smoked it over oak @ 235* until the internal temp hit 160*. They were then foiled so they could rest for a couple hours and then stuck in the fridge overnight before slicing. The meat is very tender and I don't feel it needs to be steamed before serving.
Kewl! Thanks for the clarification. 
biggrin.gif

Where can I find the first steps or the beginning of the pastrami journey, the local market I usually by meat from has them for 2.49 pound.

icon_cool.gif

Great job there Joel. I really like the sirloin tips for many things so I guess it would be fine for some corned beef but I don't know about the pastrami the fat just gives it that flavor that really makes it for me. Then your not me or do you even look like me. Great Job anyway.

Where can I find the first steps or the beginning of the pastrami journey, the local market I usually by meat from has them for 2.49 pound.

It is fairly simple. I use a bastardized version of Ruhlman and Polcyn's pastrami recipe from their book Charcuterie. Because of the size of the sirloin tip roasts I inject them with 10% of the meat's weight in brine (which includes cure #1). I put them in a 5 gal bucket lined with a 20 gal ziploc bag along with the rest of the brine. You will need to make at least 2 gallons of brine to submerge 3 roasts but a gallon is more than adequate for a single roast. I then place them in one of my garage fridges for 2 weeks. The curing process is done long before that 2 weeks is up but the flavor I get from letting it soak in the brine that long is more than worth it.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky