Another off the list " Dutch Apple Pie Jam "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
" Dutch Apple Pie Jam " Found this recipe back in 1995 and try to make it every year.

My apples are ready now to come off the trees , so before Mona makes all her pies . I grab
enough to make my jam. I found the recipe in 1995 in our newspaper. On the weekends there
was always a food section. Just a couple years ago I found it also by Kraft, both are real close , and of coarse I messed with it a bit.
5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

Peeled and cored the apples , chopped very small, same as the raisins ,
I used
4 1/2 cups of finished chopped apples
1/2 cup fine chopped raisins
and I used Lime juice instead of Lemon, just my taste
the rest is the same as in the Kraft one.
Makes about 7 3/4 = 250 mil bottles
Water bath for 10 minutes

1.JPG 2.JPG

Cooling on rack and waiting for the pop, also found some more cherries
not mine this time, so made a batch. Which only makes 4 = 250 mil

DSC_3024.JPG 4.JPG

So this morning toast for breakfast and the 3/4 bottle was in fridge all night, so a little pie on my toast

8.JPG

Came out good this year again, spreadable and very tasty, holds on the knife good.

Thanks for making it this far, Grapes should be ready soon for the Concord Grape Jam

David

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 20
WOW!! David, that looks outstanding. I for some reason had apple butter on the brain but wasn't even close. Is this shelf stable or does it need to be kept in the fridge? I see the water bath but don't know if that equals "canning" using a pressure cooker. Im in for this one big time and see some holiday presents for folks forthcoming.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Hi Robert , thanks for the like and the comment,
Most all of my jams and jellies I do the water bath, and that makes them shelf stable for about a year ( it never lasts that long around here )

We do a lot of Christmas gift Baskets with a lot of my preserves in them. I have been doing a lot of smaller jars ,( 125 mil ) for the gifts.

When I do my pickles I do the 500 mil and than some 250 mil for the gifts at Christmas ( because if you like pickles , like I do , 250 mil is only about 2 -3 dinner plating of pickles for me ha ha .)

This is a great jam , I love it warmed up and poured over my Vanilla ice cream also, might even thicken it more for in a pork loin roll up, my mind is working, I need some of your Margaritas

Give it a whirl :emoji_cloud_tornado: Robert, you will be happy,

PS: any apple is good but I find Cortland is a better flavor for me. I have never used Granny Smith only because I don't grow it here

David

Wow, David, you're keeping me hopping!
I just did (6) half pints of Jalapeno jelly yesterday thanks to you and now you have me thinking about buying some apples LOL!
Jelly.jpg

Last year I gave neighbors Christmas gifts of home made fudge. It looks like it might be jelly and jam this year :-)
Keep 'em coming!
Dan

Wow, David, you're keeping me hopping!
I just did (6) half pints of Jalapeno jelly yesterday thanks to you and now you have me thinking about buying some apples LOL!
View attachment 510838

Last year I gave neighbors Christmas gifts of home made fudge. It looks like it might be jelly and jam this year :-)
Keep 'em coming!
Dan

Thanks Dan for the like and the comment

Your jelly looks great, glad you made it . Hummmmmmmm I like fudge, lol
For the apples depending on the size you probably only need 6 -8 med ones and it make s 7+ 250 mil bottles

My pickles will be next than my grape jam when they are ready in a few weeks

David

Thanks Dan for the like and the comment

Your jelly looks great, glad you made it . Hummmmmmmm I like fudge, lol
For the apples depending on the size you probably only need 6 -8 med ones and it make s 7+ 250 mil bottles

My pickles will be next than my grape jam when they are ready in a few weeks

David
Thank you for the estimate. I'll get 10 or 11 to be sure....

Empanadas!!!

Thanks Smokinedge for the like and the comment

Had to look up Empanadas, look like what we call turnovers here .
My dad used to make fantastic Date ones. I have tried to make them like his. Could never get the flavor just right. Maybe it was more of a Dad made it thing.

David

Keep 'em coming

Dan It might be late in the season but if you can find some Cherries and Rhubarb, you should try the jam I made in July I think. We (Mona) ate it all
so I made another batch same time as the Dutch Apple Pie Jam

David

Boy howdy does that ever look and sound great, Like! I'll fire up my All American 21 for some apricot jam this winter, gonna try a few jars of this too, thanks David. RAY

Boy howdy does that ever look and sound great, Like! I'll fire up my All American 21 for some apricot jam this winter, gonna try a few jars of this too, thanks David. RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment,

I have had Apricot jam but never made it , my tree produced 4 Apricots last year and none this year . That's a hard way to make anything from.

All American 21 ??

Yes its an old recipe but good flavor, give it a whirl :emoji_cloud_tornado:

David

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky