Another New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chizotz

Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I'm from Columbia, MO, and I'm planning my first smoke this coming weekend. I have some questions, but this may not be the most appropriate place though so I'll look for that next. I bought Jeff's recipes and basics guide. After years of casually thinking of giving smoking meats a try, I'm finally serious about doing it.

I'm 48 years old, married, have a 6-year old son, and by trade I'm a computer software architect/programmer and database engineer. My official title is Systems Administrator, but I do way more than that at work.

At the moment, I just have a CharBroil Patio Bistro electric grill, which I have ordered the smoking rack for. The grill was my wife's choice, but before I invest in a true dedicated smoker I wanted to get my feet wet first and know I want to do it frequently, so this is where I'm starting. If it works out, I'll be looking to get a real smoker before too long.

Hi everybody :)

Ron

Ron
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Howdee Ron and we were all just like you at some point. No direction in our lives till we started smoking, next you'll be drinking ginger beer and shooting pool..... wait wait, that's another speech, wrong smoking. Great place here, the search is bustin at the seams plum full of tried and true information. That's is were we mostly start our research. The Guru's, easily recognizable by their OTBS title (Order of the Thin Blue Smoke), can then help with anything you have a question on or even something you just don't understand. Also there are the plain simple humble hard working.... wait that's another speech also. The regular folks here love helping, we all enjoy seeing your achievements because they may be something that inspires us also. Folks love to discuss smoking, pits, sauces, rubs, etc etc etc.

Not because you are new, but more importantly because you are new, let me suggest you get a notebook, journal, cardex, recipe card holder, or a flash drive, whatever you can keep and not crash or lose. Start a record of all your cooks, what meat, what smoke, what temp, what time, preparations, IT (internal temperature you'll hear that a lot here), what you liked and didn't like. Then you can come here and learn how to change it  so its something you like more. Or even worse, what if you happened upon that perfect smoke and didn't write it down and forgot what you did? Whats the old saying about if you don't know where you've been how do you know how to get where you are going? Use it like a sniper's kill book, something in case you have something else besides the smokes to remember some day. My first day here a wise Guru suggested this same thing to me.

Glad you found us, sit down, relax and enjoy the fun. Remember smoking is about fun, no stress.

As usually I am babbling right along. Listen, enjoy the smoke and its a pleasure meeting yas and welcome to my addiction.

But I already like ginger beer and shooting pool... oh... yes, I see (like Schultz, I see nothing! I hear nothing! Noth-ing!). But, although I have not indulged for 20+ years, that is actually very correct smoking :)

I think your advice is very good about writing everything down and keeping a log. Thank you. I will do that.

Of course, given my history, I'm sure to get confused at some point. "IT" means "internal temperature" now. Oh-kaay. Normally it means the folks that won't let me download executable files from the net (those IT folks are so scared about such things... I say, man up and just do it, and be confident you can fix it afterward).

:)

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show the other SMF members where you are located?  Never know....might meet a few neighbors!

You should sign up for Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, and it's great!  This is chock full of great information....no matter what your experience level might be!

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per Jeff in Rule #11. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Hello Ron, and welcome aboard!  Glad you joined us.  This is a great place to share ideas on our favorite pastimes...smoking and grilling great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Any time you need help, just ask and you'll get plenty!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky