Another MES 40 Gen 2 Victim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well after replacing the controller, ran a test @ 260. Was showing a good 5 degrees higher than my digitals showed. So bumped it to 265 on the high overun. Was getting temps from 253 - 270 on the runs. MES temps were showing 260 - 268 Not great with digitals but I can deal with that for now. Unable to use remote with the new, Oh well. Maybe PID next spring, will see. Thanks all...

As long as you can adjust your MES controls to get actual temps to at least 260° to 275° you're good.
I think they allow 15° off.

I can't use my Bluetooth, just because I don't own anything I can run it though, so I just use the controls on the console.

Also mine sometimes cycles in about a 20° range (Windy), but my Kitchen oven cycles more than 25°range.

Bear

Yep, will just bump 5 degrees up of target temp. Remote was just a convenience thing, can live without. Gotta get some meat ready...

Well new controller on MES is not doing me justice. I think PID is in order. In this configuration temp set @275, highest reading was 210. When moved bottom rack to the top when IT showed 160 ( ahead of others ) the temps climbed to 239 maxed out. Gonna make for some rubber skin at those low temps, will have to hit the broiler to crispen.

Attachments

• 20181028_132526.jpg
    20181028_132526.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 42
Well new controller on MES is not doing me justice. I think PID is in order. In this configuration temp set @275, highest reading was 210. When moved bottom rack to the top when IT showed 160 ( ahead of others ) the temps climbed to 239 maxed out. Gonna make for some rubber skin at those low temps, will have to hit the broiler to crispen.

When your MES control is set at 275°, what therm is reading210°, and where was that probe at the time?

Then when you moved the bottom rack to the top, what Therm climbed to 239° and where was that probe then?

Bear

On that middle rack in tinfoil right where oven thermo is. Left it there when raised rack

Right now everything IT above 165 so removed except for middle pan. Temp still maxed 244

On that middle rack in tinfoil right where oven thermo is. Left it there when raised rack

Couple more questions:
#1 You have a Therm sensor wrapped in foil?? Why?
#2 Is your Heating element covered in foil at all?

It's too tight under the Heating element for the bottom drip pan. I would remove the bottom drip pan completely.
Then you can cover the actual floor with foil, without covering any of the heating element.
Where is your water pan? I leave mine in at all times---Empty.

I'd like to know---If you set your heat at 275°, without any meat in it, what Maverick temp do you get with the Maverick Sensor on the second rack, without touching any metal, and not wrapped in foil.
How long did it take to shut off & at what Temp, on the MES, did it shut off at.
And what temp did the Maverick read at the same time.

Bear

I had it stuck thru the ball of tinfoil to keep it elevated off the rack. I took slanted drip shield and water pan out to allow more airflow for pellet tray (which would not stay lit) had to use tube.
Everything else was open as in pic. Bottom pan only has a 1/2" lip around it and sits flat, so should be insignificant. Probe at time of smoke was from Maverick thru vent hole. 20181029_085154.jpg Raining now, plan on doing some more testing soon. Will report back

I had it stuck thru the ball of tinfoil to keep it elevated off the rack. I took slanted drip shield and water pan out to allow more airflow for pellet tray (which would not stay lit) had to use tube.
Everything else was open as in pic. Bottom pan only has a 1/2" lip around it and sits flat, so should be insignificant. Probe at time of smoke was from Maverick thru vent hole.View attachment 379307 Raining now, plan on doing some more testing soon. Will report back

I forgot you had the dreaded Gen #2.
The reason I removed that bottom drip pan is without it, the foil can lay tight on the bottom floor, and not have to be curled around the heating element, but if you say it's insignificant, don't bother.
It's also easier to lay foil on a flat floor.

Check temps, like I said above, without any food in, and set at 275°.
Let me know what your tests show.

Bear

Finally able to do some more heat tests and here is what I came up with. The MES looks like it is doing what it's suppose to when it is empty. Loaded temp just had be completely baffled yesterday. Not sure if had the pans in and a PID closer to cook zone if things would be more accurate. Don't like to do low temp cooks for certain foods.
20181029_173411.jpg

Finally able to do some more heat tests and here is what I came up with. The MES looks like it is doing what it's suppose to when it is empty. Loaded temp just had be completely baffled yesterday. Not sure if had the pans in and a PID closer to cook zone if things would be more accurate. Don't like to do low temp cooks for certain foods.
View attachment 379338
Yes! If MB had their temp sensor tethered like the meat probe, then they wouldn't have these temp problems. On FB someone drilled a 3/16" or so hole in a cork (not all the way through) and put it on the Mes sensor to insulate it and increase the temp to 275. Something to try if your running tests.

View attachment 379338

Yup---Without any meat in, it looks pretty good.
I don't know what the problem is when you have meat in it, but it wouldn't be the fault of the Smoker.
Having cold meat in a smoker can slow it up in rising, but should not stop it from getting to the set point.

Bear

I will try a couple more smokes the way it is "without" foil pan and see what happens. Maybe pans block that much heat from rising ???
Got the bottom opened up to see what it looks like as far as wires. May need the professionals assistance if change is made. As stated before, I really lack when it comes to something like this. I did wire my shop completely myself on a new build, but different ballgame here.

I will try a couple more smokes the way it is "without" foil pan and see what happens. Maybe pans block that much heat from rising ???
Got the bottom opened up to see what it looks like as far as wires. May need the professionals assistance if change is made. As stated before, I really lack when it comes to something like this. I did wire my shop completely myself on a new build, but different ballgame here.

You're ahead of me then---I don't touch Electric at all !!!

Looking at your picture in post #24, I don't see a problem with where those pans are.
However I still would pull that Bottom tray out & lay a sheet of foil flat on the floor instead.
I just don't like the way the foil seems to wrap around the heating element area, all bunched up.
Maybe it just looks that way.

Bear

Yes, the picture makes it look like that. No foil on any element hardware. Thanks...
This looks confusing as heck also , yikes !

Attachments

• 20181030_153927.jpg
    20181030_153927.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 31
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky