Another load of andouille with small changes.. with Q-View. Money shot finally.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
10 pounds this time.

Pretty much the same recipe. Used larger pepper, chunks and ground.

Half the meat coarse ground and the other half cut into 1/4 inch chunks.

Spent an inordinate amount of time removing the connective tissue.

Learned a few things with the stuffing process too. Getting easier.

Goes into the smoker tomorrow afternoon.

0ffa3728_001.jpg

Have a great day!!

Craig

Its looking good !  Looking forward to the finished Views.  If possible could you show a picture of a finished sausage sliced?  I'd like to see how the combination of 1/4 inch chunks and coarse ground meat look like.  I like the idea of small chunks of meat in  sausage.  Take Care....
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Its looking good !  Looking forward to the finished Views.  If possible could you show a picture of a finished sausage sliced?  I'd like to see how the combination of 1/4 inch chunks and coarse ground meat look like.  I like the idea of small chunks of meat in  sausage.  Take Care....
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I will post sliced pics. There are a few here from the last load.

I like it that way too..all kinds of chewy and nice.

Looks Great Craig, I'll be looking forward to the smoked and sliced views

The wife just asked me tonight if i could make some andouille. I'll be waiting to see the finished product. In the mean time i guess i should start searching some threads for a place to start!!  Did you use your own recipe?

I have a lot of this in the freezer from a friend down in cajun country.  I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate it into an appetizer for a super bowl party.  I'm making ABTs already...any suggestions on what to do with the andouille?

The wife just asked me tonight if i could make some andouille. I'll be waiting to see the finished product. In the mean time i guess i should start searching some threads for a place to start!!  Did you use your own recipe?
I will post pictures this evening.

Here are 2 threads to get you started.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/101651/new-batch-of-andouille  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/100440/first-time-stuffer-andouille  

Have a great day!
I have a lot of this in the freezer from a friend down in cajun country.  I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate it into an appetizer for a super bowl party.  I'm making ABTs already...any suggestions on what to do with the andouille?
I have put slices in ABTs. We eat it sliced here. She likes it warmed. Also have browned up for breakfast.

Red beans and rice or jambalaya.. Poboys..dang..now I will be having some for breakfast.

Have a great day!!

looks good - 

what did you learn about the stuffing process?
Use lots of water to keep them moving on the tray.

Very slippery.

Will order the casings already tubed next time too.

They will be in the smoker a few more hours.

Craig

Looking good sausage there, Craig!

You're really getting this sausage thing down pat!

Can't wait to see those finished sausages & slices---MMMMmmmmm........

Bear

Looking good sausage there, Craig!

You're really getting this sausage thing down pat!

Can't wait to see those finished sausages & slices---MMMMmmmmm........

Bear
Thanks Bear..I am learning a lot. The andouille is working good for me. Some of the other sausage I made I wasn't thrilled with.

Tho most everybody else loved them. It's gonna take a long time to get good at this.

Luckily I have lots of time to spend on it.

Have a great day!!!

Craig

Still waiting on the money pics!

Did you use any paprika or cayenne in the sausage,  doesn't look red from here.

Al

BTW it doesn't take long to learn how to make sausage.  Once you master a couple tricks on mixing, stuffing and the proper way to smoke you can make just about any type of fresh smoked sausage you desire.   Don't be afraid to experiment with different seasonings.   The Marianski book has a list of spices commonly used in sausage making with recommend amounts to use.  As long as you use the proper amount of cures and follow the cureing times you can do what ever you like.

Still waiting on the money pics!

Did you use any paprika or cayenne in the sausage,  doesn't look red from here.

Al

BTW it doesn't take long to learn how to make sausage.  Once you master a couple tricks on mixing, stuffing and the proper way to smoke you can make just about any type of fresh smoked sausage you desire.   Don't be afraid to experiment with different seasonings.   The Marianski book has a list of spices commonly used in sausage making with recommend amounts to use.  As long as you use the proper amount of cures and follow the cureing times you can do what ever you like.
OK OK OK  It took a long tome to cook for some reason. Probably cause it was cold here for us.

Yes I used the called for amount of cayenne and paprika. I have the Marianski book.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I am having a good time learning this.

This batch turned out very tasty. I don't particularly like the large pepper chunks, but the Woman swooned over it.

The casing is a little stiff. Usually softens up some after being packaged.

Craig

723279b0_003.jpg

Real Nice !

Now somebody else will have to take charge of the TV remote!

One of these in the left hand & a cold brew in the right hand !

Bear

Thanks Bear!!

Have a great day!

Craig

You can order, from Syracuse Casings in NY, casings that are on plastic flat tubes that you slip over the stuffing horn and pull out the plastic so you load the casing in its entirety all at once onto the horn.  You soak them first like any casing.

cb046ddb_004-171.jpg

The address to their site is:

http://www.makincasing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EM419&Category_Code=2
thanks for the reply.

what do you mean by "casings already tubed"?

can't wait to see the finished product!

looks good - 

what did you learn about the stuffing process?
Use lots of water to keep them moving on the tray.

Very slippery.

Will order the casings already tubed next time too.

They will be in the smoker a few more hours.

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky