Another load of andouille with small changes.. with Q-View. Money shot finally.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking sausage. I could go for some of that right now

Hey Craig I was just looking at you sliced pic again and noticed it looks very lean, do you know the meat to fat ratio. You didn't mention anything about it being dry or crumbly so it much have been enough. I was just wondering, I did a batch last week that was to fatty, but that's another story.

Hey Craig I was just looking at you sliced pic again and noticed it looks very lean, do you know the meat to fat ratio. You didn't mention anything about it being dry or crumbly so it much have been enough. I was just wondering, I did a batch last week that was to fatty, but that's another story.
Hi Dan!! I used butts that had plenty of fat. I did not ratio it.

It is quite juicy. The Woman loves it.

I looked at the pics again and can see a fair amount of fat.

I am starting another batch today without the chunks of pepper, just ground.

I like the idea if his and hers sausage.

Have a great day.

Craig

This is next on my list of things to do. I wonder if a guy can use a food processor to cut the half that needs to be in 1/4" chunks? Anybody ever try this? I am thinking if the meat is frozen partially and you just pulse it to the consistency you want it may work.

This is next on my list of things to do. I wonder if a guy can use a food processor to cut the half that needs to be in 1/4" chunks? Anybody ever try this? I am thinking if the meat is frozen partially and you just pulse it to the consistency you want it may work.
I don't have a processor. It doen't take long with a sharp knife to chunk it.

I also get a lot of the junk out when I do this.

Keeps the grinder blade from getting full of connective tissue.

Craig

Coffee Junkie

I would think a food processor will give you some stringy pieces.  It takes a bit of knife work but not much considering you are only chunking 1/4 of the pork.

Fpnmf

Looks good Craig,  next batch you make add some hot smoked paprika if you haven't already.  I did that a couple of weekends ago and it was some of the best andouille I ever made.

Good going my friend,  soon you'll be know as the Andouille Man of Hot Atlanta

Al

Hey pm me what FPNMF means,  I can only guess the acronym but it is an interesting group of letters.  I promise I won't tell the mods
icon_rolleyes.gif

>>>>>  It takes a bit of knife work but not much considering you are only chunking 1/4 of the pork.  

I usually do 1/2 of it.. I thought the same about a processor.

I got the hot paprika the last visit to the farmers market.

The handle has been mine for a long time. I spent 9 years in a motorcycle club.

It is a funny story I am saving for the Gathering.

Tho the next time I am feeeling energetic I will PM it to you.

Have a great day!!

The Andouille Man Of Atlanta

hahahahaha

Last edited:
Hotlanta is what I should of said.

Ok, first clue is it has something to do with a motorcycle club or riding. 

I posted this same question on your other post..... so bear with me for repeating.

I have done a couple of batches of andouille and it has turned out very good. Basically the same recipe you used with a few tweeks as I have gone along. I have 10# in the fridge with the seasoning on it. Will grind, stuff and smoke tomorrow.

Question: have you ever added soy protein? If so how much? any input from you guys would be appreciated.

BillyBob

San Antonio

My recipe.

Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork  (I used around 4 lbs the first time and it was very spicy but it mellowed after smoking)

2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
2 Tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp (40 grams?) Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
2 g Mace
2 g Cloves
1 g Allspice
3 g Dry Mustard

Mix the following in the water and add to meat mixture
1 tsp Pink Salt (Instacure #1)
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Combine spices and “grindable” chunks of meat. Refrigerate for 1-2 days.
Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with water-wine-pink salt solution

Smoke with Pecan and/or Oak (total smoke time around 5 hours)

I smoked this at 135º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 175 º F for another 2 1/2 hours, Internal temp of sausage should be at least 150 degrees. Cool in ice bath, then hang until dry for about an hour. Refrigerate overnight then vacpac.

Thanks Billy Bob. I have found so many recipes on the web it would take me a year to try them all. I have been looking for one that someone thought was really good, so I will try this one next time. I was raised in Louisiana and have been eating Jacobs Andouille for about thirty years and have yet to find one that is that good. Looking forward to trying yours.

Thanks Billy Bob. I have found so many recipes on the web it would take me a year to try them all. I have been looking for one that someone thought was really good, so I will try this one next time. I was raised in Louisiana and have been eating Jacobs Andouille for about thirty years and have yet to find one that is that good. Looking forward to trying yours.
I started here

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

and used some ideas from Ruhlmann's book Charcuterie. Then tweeked it a little. It came out very spicey when I did the test fry the first time but it mellowed a bunch after smoke.

I like a bit spicey because I use it for gumbo etc. Used up my last link this winter on some gumbo. My neighbor is originally from NO and I give him some sausage and he hands back some Jambalaya over the fence. His grandmother's recipe.

Got everything ground (3/8") and cut up (small pieces). Ground 5 lbs and cut up 5 lbs. What a pain that is but it will be worth it. Realized this morning I was out of hog casings and had to go to Bass Pro Shops to get some. These are not my favorite but beggers can't be choosers. Now it is too late to start the smoke. Always tomorrow. Pictures of the grind are on my blog also.

f1a6ae22_PICT0072.jpg

I have looked st a few andouille recipes  (prolly 30).

The one we are using fron nola cuisine is just what I wanted. With a few tweaks of course.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Thanks Billy BOb. I tried the one from NOLA cuisine. I did not use the powdered milk. It came out pretty good. I test fried some to compare it to some of Jacobs(I still have some Jacobs) it was pretty close. Maybe next time I will try it again with the powdered milk.

Thanks Billy BOb. I tried the one from NOLA cuisine. I did not use the powdered milk. It came out pretty good. I test fried some to compare it to some of Jacobs(I still have some Jacobs) it was pretty close. Maybe next time I will try it again with the powdered milk.
I tried some soy protein in half of my batch this time. (better that the milk supposedly) The links with the soy seemed to be "plumper", less shrinkage. I used 1/3 c for the 5 lbs. Did 5 lbs without.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky