Another dish from the old country - Christmas leftovers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
This is not really a nose-to-tail dish, but I thought it would fit under the "frugal" umbrella.

When I was a kid I would spend Christmas every year at my grandma's. Country traditions, simple dishes, awesome people. One thing us young'uns were doing was going door-to-door singing carols, much like kids do for Halloween these days but with a lot more than "trick or treat": I would have at least 10 carols memorized.
People would give you home baked buns, one at each house. Girls would get fancy/craftsy buns. After a whole evening of caroling we would come home with a huge sack full of buns. What do you do with so much bread? No one was low carber back then, but it still was a lot more than a family would care to have. Most of it would feed pigs.

However grandma, to make use of some buns, would cook this dish 2-3 days in the row that we loved.

These are the buns (store bought in my case)-stale, a little hard, left them uncovered for a day (on purpose).

Halfed

Cooked in boiling water
Meanwhile the Christmas dinner potted pork leftovers are re-heated

Cooked buns (still holding together) topped with potted pork, fresh cheese and a few TBS of grease from the frying pan

Oh, boy, what an awesome meal.

Last edited:
D@mn right. It seems I only remember the dishes/products that were meant to make use of low value parts or to preserve higher value cuts.

I don't have too many memories of chops , roasts. Maybe because the cheap stuff tastes better. Don't tell the butcher.

Same Christmas day breakfast this year
20171225_114252-1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky