Another Batch of Beef Ribs with Xtra Meat on Dem Bones!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Another Batch of Beef Ribs with Xtra Meat on Dem Bones!

These Beef Ribs are for sure my favorite Ribs!!
I have always hated the way they remove nearly every little scrap of meat from the Beef Ribs before they sell them to us.

So This Is What I Do:

When I removed the bones from all of my Prime Ribs, I left some Extra meat on the bone side of the cut, so I could have some Awesome Meaty Ribs. I’ve been doing that with all of my Prime Rib Roasts for Years.
I vacuum packed them in individual groups of 2 or 3 Ribs, and kept them together in my meat freezer, so they’re easy to find.

This time I had 5 sets of 2 Rib sections in the Freezer.
These 5 sections weighed in at 6.3 pounds total. That’s better than 1.25 pounds for each 2 bone Rib Section!!

Day #1 (Prepping Ribs):
Remove from Vacuum packs, Rinse, Pat Dry, apply Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce.
Then coat with Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
Put all the pieces in a big bowl, put it in the fridge over night. (Uncovered)

Day #2 (Smoking Day):
8:30AM——————-Preheat MES 40 to 230°. Also Fill Almost 2 Rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:30AM——————-Put full rack of Ribs on Position #2 of my 6 position MES, and my AMNPS on Bottom Rack, on Right.
10:00AM——————Sterilize Meat probe & insert in Thickest Rib section in center of Rack.
10:30AM——————135° IT.
11:00AM——————151° IT.
11:30AM——————160° IT.
12:00AM——————162° IT.
12:30PM——————165° IT.—This is where I usually Pan & Foil & add a Nice Juice Mix, but I skipped that this time.
1:00 PM——————-169° IT.
2:00 PM——————-183° IT——Bump heat up to 240°.
3:00 PM——————-192° IT.
3:30 PM——————-198° IT.
3:50 PM——————Shut
MES 40 down, and remove Ribs from Smoker, and take to kitchen.
4:00 PM——————Separate Ribs individually, plate, take pics, add sides, take pics, Sit down & Eat.

Just for the heck of it, I checked the IT when I got them inside. They were all between 198° and 205°. None of them were “Fall-off-the-bone”.

These Ribs were Tender, just like the Prime Ribs they came from, however the outsides were Hard & Tough, so I will never make these again without covering them in foil in a pan @ 165°, like I always have done before.
I only tried it this way because so many others do them “Naked”.
Never Again.

The adding of the extra of Meat makes these Ribs Totally Awesome!!

Hope You All Enjoy My Pictures.

Thanks for looking,

Bear

Five Pairs of Beef Dinos with Extra Meat:
IMG_3938.jpg

All coated with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce. (Formerly Worcestershire "Thick")
IMG_3939.jpg

Spread out in this bowl for overnight in Fridge:
IMG_3940.jpg

Nearly 2 rows of Hickory lit on one end & smoking nicely:
IMG_3942.jpg

Seasoned & ready for Smoker:
IMG_3944.jpg

Nearly Done:
IMG_3945.jpg

My set-up, with cover above AMNPS:
IMG_3946.jpg

Same Bowl (Washed) to bring Ribs from Smoker to Kitchen:
IMG_3947.jpg

Ribs individually separated:
IMG_3948.jpg

Close-up of Right Plate:
IMG_3949.jpg

This picture is from an "Old" Smoke I did that was foiled at 165°, just to show the difference:
IMG_0030.jpg

Close-up of Left Plate:
IMG_3950.jpg

Bear's First Helping:
IMG_3951.jpg

Very nice John!
Danged fine as usual.
Your hand carved beef back ribs are just incredibly meaty and beautiful.
Ribeye on a stick!
Like!

And those, ladies and gentlemen, are what 'Beef, Back Ribs' should look like!
Not them over trimmed Shiners the stores sell for all too often ridiculous prices, i.e. over $3/lb.

Last edited:
:emoji_money_mouth: Those ribs are money! Like!!

Yeah, all these beef rib posts lately...you guys sure know the way to my stomach...and my wallet, lol

John, I wonder what the major difference is between the back ribs/prime rib and short ribs/brisket that the back ribs form such a thicker, tougher bark?
Same goes for prime rib roasts, I have seldom liked the outside of a prime rib roast, always tough.

But take a ribeye steak cut from the prime rib roast, sear and char the hell out of the outside and it's just fine.

John, I wonder what the major difference is between the back ribs/prime rib and short ribs/brisket that the back ribs form such a thicker, tougher bark?
Same goes for prime rib roasts, I have seldom liked the outside of a prime rib roast, always tough.

But take a ribeye steak cut from the prime rib roast, sear and char the hell out of the outside and it's just fine.

I can't really compare various Beef Ribs, because the only Beef Ribs I ever smoked are from my Prime Ribs.
And I have never had any Prime Ribs that were tough on the outside, but my Prime Ribs never see a Temp over 240° (usually 220°). I always have nice Bark, but never Hard or Tough.
These Ribs were the first ones I ever did that were hard on the surface, but they are also the last, because I'll never do Beef Ribs again without foiling at 165°.

Bear

Brother I was getting a little worried bout ya.Glad to see you aren't just eating sandwiches JK Nice job as always LIKES
Richie

That's some mighty fine looking ribs, Love Beef Ribs The only way you can get meat on them around here is to do what you did.
Nice job my friend

Gary

BEAR!!! You're killin' me man. You gotta stop this nonsense. I simply cannot keep up with you :emoji_wink: Mayhap I just need to go ahead and retire full time so I can do nothing but cook all day. I just wonder how 2 of us are ever gonna eat all the food I wanna make that's seen in this forum. Big LIKE!!

Seriously sir, those look great and I truly appreciate your candidness about the mistake on this one (not foiling) so the rest of us can avoid that pitfall. Joe said it though: all these beef rib posts....I plan to make a stop at the butcher's tomorrow and I don't care if I have to buy a whole bone-in prime rib, I'm having some of those ribs this weekend. No doubt I can find a use for that prime rib at some point.

Got my weekend planned,
Robert

bear those ribs look awesome, got to stop looking at your post though, I already have a list of things I want to try as soon as I some time.

Very nice John!
Danged fine as usual.
Your hand carved beef back ribs are just incredibly meaty and beautiful.
Ribeye on a stick!
Like!

And those, ladies and gentlemen, are what 'Beef, Back Ribs' should look like!
Not them over trimmed Shiners the stores sell for all too often ridiculous prices, i.e. over $3/lb.

Thank You John!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Best ribs for sure! Braising/foiling beef sure seems to be the way to go. Nice job!

Thank You Much!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I think we need to make September into Beef Ribs month! They have all looked great and yours do as well. I enjoyed the post and the pic's! Like!

Very tasty looking Bear! I wish BABL liked smoked food! Mrs. Bear must be something special. Nice that you only need a fillet knife to separate those ribs and they still a tug on the bone. Sound perfect.
Don

Dem bones look scrumpdillyicious to me. I feel kinda left out with all the beef ribs being cooked around here.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky