Andouille and Smoked Cajun Sausage ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have been doing these sausages and andouille forever it seems like. Will be a lot of BS in this documentary so get you a drink, loosen your belt. and pull up that big comfy chair your bride hates.

Lets start with casing. I use natural pork, They must be washed and checked for holes and all the twists removed. Then into the water at least over night sometimes two nights. These are the 46MM+ for the andouille. Just imagine smaller the same way for the sausage. 

When you place 'em into the bowl of water to put in the reefer, make sure you know where the end is. Note I just set them on the bowl just like a line handler does for boats, they will bugger less that way.

Put it in the reefer at least over night two nights is better. Its the difference when using sheep casing between an easy tube load and a pain in the butt!

So now we debone and chop up the meat. This is all pork butt, 4 butts.I try to remove all the obvious bad fat and silver skin, No I don't spend an hour worrying about it but I find that the bad fat is usually an easy trim.

Spices are in large batches, and then divided into bags for 10# each Using a good scale.

Scale

Bags Of seasonings Well labelled

Next break out the grinder and give it some lubrication and a clean up. Note those two little drops squeezed out the cover by the screws. Thats silicone and I up that on there then tightened it up to dry. It eliminates and sound noise from the grinder.

We, I used to hand cut andouille, now I grinder like a big ol'titty baby! But you need a large 3/4" plate or you can use the duck foot (the loading plate). Check the wear washer for good/proper lubrication.

I also have a bunch of plate sizes and I use one knife for one plate so it seats in to that one. Saves blades that way too. remember all plate for a #12 or any other size, even from 100 years ago will still fit. 

That is one butt, then I add my seasoning minus the cure and specials. We all have special spice we think make ours better, right?

It is andouille, so its gotta be BIG chunks. Add the spices, and lets grind that puppy up!

And after into the project reefer for the night so the spices can make all happy with the meat. 

I know I am low on beer, but there is pleant of Capt Morgans and Jack and fruit juices in the house.

Start again tomorrow!

Good Morning! So lets start with loading the tube, When its been properly rinsed and hydrated laoding the tube is normally a piece a cake. I will leave that there and just say it fooled me! 

Then break out that ground pork with the spices all married into it and then mix your cure with a small amout of H2O. This makes the sausage stuffing easier and allows for better distribution and absorption of the cure. NOW is when you add your secret ingredients!!!!

Remember this is andouille ground meat!

I used between 1/4 and 1/2 Cup of water because I use an LEM stuffer. <Chuckles>

Connect the loaded tube and then fill the chamber. I personally like my 5# stuffer. Sure 10# would be easier but I normally want to change something within a 5# Stuffing. Plus it makes twisting easier, and it just fits my smoker better.

I love those suction cups, so much better than the "C" clamps I did use.

4 full chambers of andouille meat makes..........

That much andouille. Andouille is made in LARGE short links. Maybe because they didn't want to confuse it with the sausage which doesn't have cure. I don't know maybe because the old story about red beans & rice w/ andioulle on wash day being true. But I make mine the old way, No not with a cow's large intestine, but short and fat anyway. Andouille is a seasoning meat. Like pickled pork, smoked hocks, smoked backbone, etc... its not a stand alone sausage or wasn't. Today commercially they now sell andouille sausage, why? because they only need one size casing, plate, and tube. Its cheaper to make.  But its all about what you want to do with it. Andouille and sausage do NOT taste the same, ask anyone who's ever had 'em.

Next...... We grind the sausage meat with a smaller plate and add the seasoning just as we did with the andouille, just a different spice.

And its beer thirty again. We stuffed 20, and ground 20 today.

In for the ride.

I think I drank more reading this than you have in that fridge.

Good morning again! Thank Gwad for Coffee!

Out comes the sausage meat and we add a small amount of cure just to be safe with out secret ingredient that just adds that special twang to my sausage that no one can identify but everyone loves.

And freeze your hands mixing it in. I get one thing a year, was gonna be a slicer for the last two years and got something else instead. Now it looks like a new smoker this year so no slicer this year which so the mixer is aty least 2 years out....LOL

BTW remember about the casing ends in the bowl of water? The top is the long one!

Load the casing.........I did two casing cause i like to be prepared! Glad I did too!

One of the casing would have broke me of making sausage had it showed up a few years back when I first started trying to make all this goodness. Two days in the water and it was almost impossible to load the tube and I broke it 2 or 3 times trying to pull it off while stuffing. I was fit to be tied! But I made sausage.

OK, 20# of Cajun soon to be smoked sausage!. 

And into the reefer it goes. The andouille has been in the reefer two days and the sausage one day, it allows the meat/cure to bloom.

Coffee!! Coffee! COFFEE!!  The smoker won't heat! But I still have an aux. smoker full of pecan shells and a big oval tube full of pellets. Lets get to work!

I load up the box with andouille! Its all cold and clamy, but it could have cured a few more days if I wanted. But people with that damn'd radar know I qam making sausage and andouille I must hurry and get to the freezer!

Better picture better picture better picture!

That's better! Remember these are going to be doubled smoked even if they have no heat!

First day andouille and first day sausage.............

Both got about 4/5 hours of smoke today. Back in the reefer over night. Ribeye steaks and cold beer for supper! 

A lot of special sweetened coffee! 

Andouille headed for the cold smoker! With smoke and no heat. Pop laughed at me and asked why I was cold smoking. he said I had lost sight of the problem. I just needed some heat. <add here a heal of the hand to the forehead smack> 

Damn I am as smart as an aggie engine-ear!!

Andouille hung and making happy noises 

Then it took some color and that aroma..... OMG I may not wash my hands again this week!  

Now someone wanted to play where's Waldo? They added a piece of store bough andouille, can you spot it? The casting isn't even edible ...yuckie!

I didn't forget the sausages.......

Started

Finished

All in the reefer for the night. They need to air out and mello. Then I'll package 'em.

See yas tomorrow evening! BTW Out of the blue, the plumber called to check if I needed anything and so did the electrican. Odd. Its like a indian smoke signal has gone out thru the neighborhood. LOL  Gotta get 'em in the freezer quick but they gotta mellow!

Foam , A great post as always and some excellent looking sausage . You are the andouille king ! points

Gosh Kevin that's some great looking sausage.

I need to make some Andouille, I'm down to my last 4 links.

This was a fantastic thread as always!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Point!

Al

Looks Great Foam,  You could probably overnight me some.  Great step by Step and pics

Mmmm  I could go for some now !!  
icon14.gif

drool.gif

points1.png

Gary

Kevin, absolutely delicious looking Andouille and smoked sausage!      You are going to have some fine red beans and gumbo with that.

I wanted to do start to finish with them, this will be short and sweet to finish it up, (while I have another cup of coffee!).

They have been breathing for since yesterday and I need my reefers back tomorrow so I went ahead and packaged the up.

I broke out the the Pro. I have had it a year and I wonder how I ever got along without it. Of course "Ziploc" had to lay off and close the bag making factory.

Sure makes the sausages retain their freshness longer, I assume cause the stuff flys out the door! I swear even the yard guy showed up today wondering what that good smell was...>LOL Its cryo-pac'd damnit!

I packaged 42 bags of andouille with and average weight of 1 pound per bag!

Ya know I almost forgot to show you the actually andouille and sausages.

Notes, I should have added a bit more cure to the andouille AND I was out of papricka (whoever heard of such a thang?)

Than strange sausage casing I fought with actually carried over into the sausage. Its tuff as shoe leather. New note to self if its the pits in the begining, don't screw with it. Just clean and load another.

Thanks it. the pans are all clean and I am having a cup of coffee and smelling my hands till the aroma wears off.

PS Now I have to clean out the freezer and find room for it....LOL

Last edited:

Foam , A great post as always and some excellent looking sausage . You are the andouille king ! points
Thanks I apprecaite the compliment. Even bad homemade beats good store bought.!

Gosh Kevin that's some great looking sausage.

I need to make some Andouille, I'm down to my last 4 links.

This was a fantastic thread as always!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Point!

Al
Thank You Al. I am thinking seafood gumbo Friday!

Looks Great Foam,  You could probably overnight me some.  Great step by Step and pics

Mmmm  I could go for some now !!  
icon14.gif

drool.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thank you Gary, but there should be some pretty good andouille near you. You close enough to coonazz country.

Kevin that looks great I have never had Andouille 

Richie

icon14.gif
Thank you Richie

Richie Andouille in a pot full of water would be good enough to eat! But add in other flavors for it to compliment, that is where it really shines!

I sure would like some of that about now! Looks like you once again nailed the Cajun spirit!
Thanks CB

I am thinking maybe a sausage poboy for supper while watching the Baseball game. Thats a good Idea, easy and fast, and a good way to check out that sausage. Now I see why you get the big bucks!

Kevin, absolutely delicious looking Andouille and smoked sausage!      You are going to have some fine red beans and gumbo with that.
Thank ye Thank ye Thank ye!

You know if its still there in Spring, you should check out a butcher shop called Veron's Its as close to mine as is possible. All their stuff is good, but those stuffed pork chops are to die for! It is NOT like that stuff by the same name in the grocery store, I swear! Try it, if ya don't like it send me the bill. 

http://www.veronsmeatmarket.com/sausages.htm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky