And the pickling begins "Jalapeno Jelly" and "Sweet Onion Jalapeno Relish"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes might as well have them full as they take up the same amount of space :)

Sorry I should have mentioned for the jelly I pulled the seeds out if the odd 1 or 10 get in there its ok, but I normally always pull the seeds.
And these peppers were the hottest Jalapeno's I have ever chopped .

David
How big were these Jalapenos, David? The peppers from the Mexican markets around here tend to be bigger than the ones in the regular groceries.
Another concern; I looked at a Jalapeno jelly recipe in Ball's "Blue Book" and for a batch about the same size (same amount of sugar, a tad more vinegar, and an estimated
5 half pints result) and they call for 2 pouches of Certo instead of 1. Maybe it's a typo in Ball's book. It wouldn't surprise me....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
A lady from El Paso showed me. If the penos have "veins" on the outside they're going to be hotter....

These ones were normal flesh , smooth and nice green. I have heard of that also before about outside vaining.

How big were these Jalapenos, David? The peppers from the Mexican markets around here tend to be bigger than the ones in the regular groceries.
Another concern; I looked at a Jalapeno jelly recipe in Ball's "Blue Book" and for a batch about the same size (same amount of sugar, a tad more vinegar, and an estimated
5 half pints result) and they call for 2 pouches of Certo instead of 1. Maybe it's a typo in Ball's book. It wouldn't surprise me....

These are 3" - 4" peppers. See picture below
I just use 1 bag of Certo and it firms up just right. Not like solid pudding, but a light spreadable jelly. And mine yielded 7 pints, even though I put some in smaller bottles
because Mona is quite free with passing these on to friends and her family, lol

David
DSC_3003.JPG

Reactions: SmokyMose
These ones were normal flesh , smooth and nice green. I have heard of that also before about outside vaining.

These are 3" - 4" peppers. See picture below
I just use 1 bag of Certo and it firms up just right. Not like solid pudding, but a light spreadable jelly. And mine yielded 7 pints, even though I put some in smaller bottles
because Mona is quite free with passing these on to friends and her family, lol

David
View attachment 510315
Thank you! I think I'm getting a handle on it....
Dan

I looked at a Jalapeno jelly recipe in Ball's "Blue Book" and for a batch about the same size

Hi Smokeymose the recipe I showed and have used for quite sometime ( 2013 ) came from " Favorite Family Recipes 2012 " their web
site in 2011.

And as I told mr_whipple mr_whipple ,
for this batch I used 4 drops of red food color, as without it , it would be
a very light green/grey color. Not as pleasing to me as the red. Plus gives it
that look of the heat to it .

David

Hi Smokeymose the recipe I showed and have used for quite sometime ( 2013 ) came from " Favorite Family Recipes 2012 " their web
site in 2011.

And as I told mr_whipple mr_whipple ,
for this batch I used 4 drops of red food color, as without it , it would be
a very light green/grey color. Not as pleasing to me as the red. Plus gives it
that look of the heat to it .

David
I may do the red as well.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so here it is. You inspired me to do the jelly but I had to do it a bit different. I went fishing with my buddy yesterday and was discussing the jelly cook for today. I was worried the hot wouldn't come thru from the jalapenos with all the sugar so he suggested ghost peppers and gave me a handful off the bush in his yard.... I used three as the recipe suggested. We'll see how that works out. Also no food coloring. The red bell peppers and the ghosts provided all the color necessary.

Used a recipe almost identical to yours ==> https://www.food.com/recipe/ghost-pepper-jelly-438888

20210913_183742fresized.jpg

Here's the finished product fresh out of the water bath. Made 6 full 1/2 pints and the 7th is about 3/4 full.
20210913_183751resized.jpg

Thanks for posting this thread. It was the kick in the pants I needed to get off my butt and finally try making jelly. I'll let ya know how it turns out tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this thread. It was the kick in the pants I needed to get off my butt and finally try making jelly. I'll let ya know how it turns out tomorrow.

Glad I inspired you... :) , how were the ghost peppers to work with. Any problems with the fumes or on hands.

7 jars is about right.

Yes let me know how they are and the heat

David

Well... I was a bit hesitant but gotta jump in to feel the water! Grabbed a knife to test the consistency and it seemed to me exactly what it should be. More of a jam than a jelly but that's OK. It tastes just like pepper jelly if you can believe that. You can taste the bell and the ghost, with the ghost far more pronounced but with a nice balance. It's hot but far from over bearing . Leaves a nice tingle all over without making you regret eating it. I'm calling it success. Gotta thank that lady who posted the recipe. It's spot on.

exactly what it should be. More of a jam than a jelly but that's OK. It tastes just like pepper jelly

Sounds like you have a winner, put that on your list of yearly makes.
( going to see if I can find fresh ghost peppers around here ) or try and grow some next season

David

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky