And the pickling begins "Jalapeno Jelly" and "Sweet Onion Jalapeno Relish"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
So as we all know it is that time of year , to put up what we gather from our gardens, markets and grocery store.
Tonight I started with my jalapeno's and made my "Jalapeno Jelly" and "Sweet Onion Jalapeno Relish"

First the Jalapeno Jelly,
Has nice bite and sweet , great for lots of things, crackers, cheese plates, as a glaze etc
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

4.JPG
5.JPG

I have been using this sense 2013 or so. I just chop by hand as that's what I do for diced items. And the peppers I diced real small as for Jelly you don't want big chunks....so I was told. lol

Now for the Sweet Onion Jalapeno Relish, I also chop by hand ( more on that at the end ) but larger pieces as that is what i like on my dogs or burgers bigger pieces, like say fried onions .
Sorry I only took pictures of the finished product for this part as just diced onions and jalapenos
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

I make these almost every year. I enjoy them a lot and others do also . So this year I made 250ml bottles and 125ml bottles incase there are some folks that want some . And we also put them in Christmas baskets with about 6 -8 other pickled items

Thanks for staying to the end

Oh yes about me chopping by hand. I cut up and dice up a lot of Jalapenos over the years . So this time was no different until I was
done making the first batch of Jelly. And while doing the dishes and waiting for the water bath to be done. I notice my hand was
really starting to tingle than really start to burn. So I thought maybe I just burnt my hand a little washing the edges of the bottles
putting on the caps and rings.
NO I decided to take a bite of one of the peppers , holy fruitcake, hottest jalapenos I've ever had. This will be a good batch Put on gloves to chop up the next batch. ha ha
hand is still burning

David

I've had mile and SCREAMING hot Jalapenos... I don't understand or get what's happening.... I like the mild so I can taste them....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I've had mile and SCREAMING hot Jalapenos... I don't understand or get what's happening.... I like the mild so I can taste them....

Thanks for the like and the comment Dave
Yes I'm with you Dave I actually like the flavor of the Jalapeno peppers . So once these are set I will
try them tomorrow and I hope they are not too hot as I really like the flavor of both of these preserves
And I want to taste them ,not just burn my mouth off

David

Looks good! Should be making some myself in the near future. Now, my Carolina Reaper plant.... kinda scared of that one...

Thanks WaterRat for the comment,

I have been making some preserves during the summer , but now is the busy time for the next couple weeks
Let us know what you will make with your reaper peppers...sounds HOT

David

Looks good!
I haven't made jelly yet but the jalapeno one looks like a good place to start.
Thanks for posting the recipes!

Thanks smokeymose for the like and the comment

Give it a whirl :emoji_cloud_tornado: , its not really that hard and the water bath is an easy step , and than it is shelf safe for quite awhile ( 8 months - a year ) if it lasts that long.
I like the specks of peppers in it

David
DSC_2996.JPG

Thanks smokeymose for the like and the comment

Give it a whirl :emoji_cloud_tornado: , its not really that hard and the water bath is an easy step , and than it is shelf safe for quite awhile ( 8 months - a year ) if it lasts that long.
I like the specks of peppers in it

David
View attachment 510193
Planning on it! I have quite a few pint jars left since the garden didn't do very well and I may as well store them with something in them.
I think I'll lose the seeds, though. We don't get along with hot like we used to....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Planning on it! I have quite a few pint jars left since the garden didn't do very well and I may as well store them with something in them.
I think I'll lose the seeds, though. We don't get along with hot like we used to....

Yes might as well have them full as they take up the same amount of space :)

Sorry I should have mentioned for the jelly I pulled the seeds out if the odd 1 or 10 get in there its ok, but I normally always pull the seeds.
And these peppers were the hottest Jalapeno's I have ever chopped .

David

I like the hot so seeds are in for now, but just out of curiosity did you use any red food coloring?

Hi Mr_whipple Thanks for the comment

This batch as I said for some reason is good and hot even without the seeds.
Yes for this batch I used 4 drops of red food color, as without it , it would be
a very light green/grey color. Not as pleasing to me as the red. Plus gives it
that look of the heat to it .
In my relish I used a couple drops of green.

David

Last edited:
Gave them both a dat to build some flavor and to see if hotter than I really like

The Jelly set nice and the flavor is perfect, and only a touch hotter than normal
And the relish is the same great flavor and like the jelly hotter this time but will be great on burgers and dogs etc

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky