And so it begins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Planted my tomato seed today, Big Beef and Cherokee Purple, my two mainstays.

20240218_140101.jpg

Won't be starting mine for a few weeks yet. We can hit the freezing mark into May.

April 7 is the date of our average last freeze. But on rare occasions we can get a freeze in May. It won't be hard a freeze, barely below 30.

And I cover with 5 gallon buckets. If the plants are too big, I've got some row cover but that's a lot of work.

Every year, I plan on going in the ground in the last week of March, depending upon the 7 day weather forecast.

Thats a tomater right there sir.
Yessir! I actually happened upon the variety by accident at one of those parking lot plant sales many years ago. They didn't have much I was familiar with so I was like what the heck, I'll give them a try.

I have not seen any of them for sale as live plants since so I have to start my own if I want to grow them.

I haven't started my own the last few years, but when I do, I usually start a few of a beefsteak variety called, "Super Steak".

One slice more than covers a slice of bread.

View attachment 689094

That's what Big Beef can produce. Its a hybrid of Big Boy and Beefsteak. I've grown it at least 10 years now. I've tried other varieties, but this one fits the bill.

These are rare, only a few get this big, but I get good slicers, in the middle pic, that's a dinner plate, not a saucer

Giant Tomato.jpg
Tomato Dinner Plate.JPG

20230715_125209.jpg

What I posted is about average for a super, you pretty much get all about that size. Nice slicers just like most beefsteaks.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
I got some giant tomatoes one year from Beefmaster. I had to buy plants at a nursery and they did not have Big Beef, so I bought Beefmaster and got these.

I went back the next year to buy some more, but their grower in Kansas had quit this variety. Ya might know it. I tried some from seed, but was not the same.

20210712_132515.jpg
20210713_130423.jpg

I still have quite a ways to go before I start anything. Our last frost date is usually May long weekend which is the 20th or so.

My dad has a greenhouse and always grows beefsteak and better boy tomatoes along with cucumbers. Given that softball sized specimen you're showing Doug, I'm going to see if I can find some seed locally and try my hand at them.

Reactions: JLeonard
I get several seed catalogs. I don't know how they got my name and address, but I've only found Big Beef from one good source, that's Johnny's Select Seeds in NY. I've bought from them for years and have always been happy with the germination rate, the plants, and the production. I only buy one pack of 40 seeds every year, and pay more in shipping than the seeds, but its worth it.

Nothing better than a homegrown tomato! My Mom and Dad grew up in Missouri and they said the best 'maters were grown in midwestern soil (had something to do with the lime content in the soil). I'm in Florida and have never had luck growing tomatoes (bugs, weather too hot, etc..) so I rely on local farmers markets to supply my fix

Reactions: JLeonard and nlife
Nothing better than a homegrown tomato! My Mom and Dad grew up in Missouri and they said the best 'maters were grown in midwestern soil (had something to do with the lime content in the soil). I'm in Florida and have never had luck growing tomatoes (bugs, weather too hot, etc..) so I rely on local farmers markets to supply my fix
Tomatoes actually came from South America, where they are native. They are also a perennial in temperate climates. Here in the states, we grow them as an annual though. No reason you can't grow them in Florida.

I get several seed catalogs. I don't know how they got my name and address, but I've only found Big Beef from one good source, that's Johnny's Select Seeds in NY. I've bought from them for years and have always been happy with the germination rate, the plants, and the production. I only buy one pack of 40 seeds every year, and pay more in shipping than the seeds, but its worth it.

I looked around here in town and only found the regular offerings - beefsteak, early girl, san marzano and a handfull of cherry tomato types. Did a search online and found that Veseys in PEI will ship without a large $ minimum order. I'll look around in the next town over when I go to pick up my son from his grandparents place.

Like you, the shipping will be more than the actual seeds themselves. C'est la vie

Planted my tomato seed today, Big Beef and Cherokee Purple, my two mainstays.
I've got a Big Beef in a 5 gallon bucket. First time trying in a bucket and first with a Big Beef.
After reading up on that variety, I'm going to plant some in my garden this summer. Hopefully, I can find some nursery stock back north. I got my plant at Walmart down here.

Reactions: JLeonard
To avoid hijacking this thread about bucket grown tomatoes, read my thread

Reactions: JLeonard and nlife
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky