An Ode Attempt to Spicy Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Thank you to tx smoker tx smoker and yankee2bbq yankee2bbq for the inspiration and recipes. I love lasagna, but have never cooked one and never would have thought to smoke one! Also, when I’ve made “red sauce” for spaghetti over the years it’s usually been store bought, that I may enhance a bit depending on laziness factor, and done almost immediately prior to dumping in meat then onto the pasta. I never thought to simmer and rest a day out. So, I smashed their two recipes together for my families Sunday meal. I used all of Roberts recipe, but substituted the regular sugar with Justin’s brown sugar and used Justin’s measurements as a guide to make a larger batch.

Roberts heat (red pepper & Cayenne) and coffee intrigued me as well as Justin’s beef broth used in the red sauce! Also, as recommended, I used 6 fresh tomatoes, stewed in the sauce to remove skin, cored and crushed instead of canned diced tomatoes, spicy sausage for the meat, and diced up a medium onion that I initially heated with EVOO and garlic into the sauce pot prior to the remaining red sauce ingredients.

Red sauce made a day prior (Saturday), simmered for 6 hours, then rested overnight. The flavor was awesome.
6F93E297-1E49-4BE0-82BF-003C415D24F5.jpeg

Sunday started heating the sauce again then cooked the spicy sausage, but added a bit more garlic and diced onion into the cooking sausage. Drained and mixed the meat with the sauce to barely simmer for a few hours.
756B7B9A-789A-4476-99E6-CA879D031456.jpeg

72364A4B-5F5C-4B93-A595-4CE9FB26DA75.jpeg

I decided to go with Roberts choice to pre boil the noodles al dente since I’d be using his same smoking technique and my wife wanted brown rice noodles that I am even less familiar with than regular pasta.

Used aluminum pans because I get yelled at if her casserole dishes are used on the smoker. Light coat of EVOO, followed by a smear of the sauce. Then layered as Robert directed with pasta, ricotta, fresh grated mozz, fresh grated Parmesan, meat sauce, pasta, etc. I ran out of room before ingredients so I made another pan, but included slices of ham as a layer (My wife looked concerned by the ham addition, but was happy with the results).
BE62D90F-8646-4AAB-8A64-97D69308F7DF.jpeg

F1CD5705-EEFB-45F5-A2CF-84B18CCA85DC.jpeg

F2C4E803-BD20-4481-8CBF-3501F5B7598A.jpeg
9C928E58-EB10-4F06-BF77-6A53E33A597E.jpeg

Onto the Pellet cooker at 350 with apple, 50 degrees and rainy, glass or two of wine, out at about 45 minutes.
4D320781-4E01-47CC-A1D1-448CE85999C1.jpeg

DFCED617-616B-470E-969F-AC83A86AA0CF.jpeg

A3D766CD-E556-4A1E-9877-B6B334147A58.jpeg

F827801C-08B5-4A4F-91EE-6D6CF1525716.jpeg

These tasted amazing! Had to cut off hardened pasta edge though! I am not refined enough to know what elements made a difference, but the sauce and final conglomeration was incredible. I’ll steal some flavor words from Google; The spiciness, earthy, salty umami flavors rolled around in the cheesy mix perfectly with just a bit of sweetness. I forgot some fresh herbs at the end, but will correct next time, but Wow. We tore through the pans and I had to hide a bit for lunch today.
0F688BDE-E1BD-4287-AECE-2E27E73BDA38.jpeg

DA5DCFF6-A213-4DDE-BFC5-29DA8273FFFF.jpeg

I’ll say that the ham as a layer to the lasagna was a big surprise hit. When I was a kid a local Italian/pizza place in CF Iowa would do Ham Manicotti, so the flavor brought back some little league memories. If you haven’t tried it, please give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.

Again, big thank you to Robert for starting the thread and providing the recipe/kick start and to Justin for adding on his family recipe for me to play with!

Attachments

• 656A4E89-0303-4E3C-A192-290F664B2481.jpeg
    656A4E89-0303-4E3C-A192-290F664B2481.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 8
  • DEC30277-CA02-42FF-9198-ABF0E283B4F5.jpeg
    DEC30277-CA02-42FF-9198-ABF0E283B4F5.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 8
Thats whats so great about this forum. Folks will put a cook on here and then you can tweak it to your own liking. Your lasagna looks excellent. Got me wanting some now!
Jim

Jed that looks delicious! Taking ideas and putting your own twist on them is the great thing on this forum. I've only tried lasagna with ricotta cheese once, I didn't care for it as much as with cottage cheese... funny thing is I can't stand cottage cheese except for in lasagna. Never would've thought about the ham addition... dang Iowans!

Ryan

Very nice, sir!
If I suggested smoking our lasagna the Mrs would give me the "eye roll" like she did when I suggested cottage cheese instead of ricotta.
That hard edge is pretty much normal but will soften up a bit when you nuke the leftovers.....

Reactions: bauchjw
Thats whats so great about this forum. Folks will put a cook on here and then you can tweak it to your own liking. Your lasagna looks excellent. Got me wanting some now!
Jim
Thank you Jim! I agree 100%, the sharing is a huge source of great info and inspiration with some very generous people!

Great looking lasagna! I could go for an end piece right about now.
Thank you Sir! You’re welcome anytime!

Looks great !
Thank you!

Jed that looks delicious! Taking ideas and putting your own twist on them is the great thing on this forum. I've only tried lasagna with ricotta cheese once, I didn't care for it as much as with cottage cheese... funny thing is I can't stand cottage cheese except for in lasagna. Never would've thought about the ham addition... dang Iowans!
Ryan
Thank you Ryan! My wife normally does it with cottage cheese, I figured I’d give this a try, we both do like the cottage cheese better! Yes, the ham thing is strange, but tasted great, IMO! Iowa, home of Taco Pizza lovers and Ham Manicotti!

Very nice, sir!
If I suggested smoking our lasagna the Mrs would give me the "eye roll" like she did when I suggested cottage cheese instead of ricotta.
That hard edge is pretty much normal but will soften up a bit when you nuke the leftovers.....
Very appreciated! yes, I get the eye roll a lot!

bauchjw bauchjw — That lasagna you made sounds and looks amazing! Thank you for the kind words. And I am very grateful for this forum. Makes me happy I can share with others!
Very appreciated Justin, im very grateful for this forum as well to be able to learn so much! I’m not sure if it looked amazing, but it sure tasted great!

Reactions: negolien
Took a couple shared ideas and put your own delicious spin on it! Love it. It looks absolutely delicious
Thank you! It was a lot of fun and, as always, the great info and people here make it a lot easier!

Awesome looking lasagna!
Nicely done!
Al
Thank you Al! We were really happy with the results for a first attempt !

Wow Jed, what can I say? I'll start by saying that I'm honored that you found the thread I did viable enough to attempt. Combining that with Justin's was genius, plain and simple. What you turned out is nothing short of spectacular, and I love the addition of the ham. Guess what I'm gonna do next time :emoji_wink:

No question that a long simmer and an overnight rest make a big difference in refining the flavors of the sauce. Sadly I rarely think far enough ahead to do it. Most times it's an immediate fly by the seat of my pants dinner throwing together a sauce. This time by running out of sausage it got me thinking ahead.

Had to cut off hardened pasta edge though!

I actually kinda like the crunchy edges but Tracy, not so much. If you notice, when I did mine I kept the noodles away from the edges of the pan as opposed to having them right up against it. Started doing this a few years back and it seems to have eliminated the crunchy edges. I don't know how but it seems to work. Maybe just the additional space creates enough of a heat buffer to avoid the crunch. It also helps if you don't stack the noodles above the top of the pan.

Awesome job sir!!
Robert

• Love
Very nice Jed, we love Lasagna and yours are top notch. I would have no problem getting my elbows up to find a spot at your table. lol

When I used to cook many years ago, we did cottage cheese on the 2nd layer of noodles and sauce. I eat it but not a big fan of Cottage or Ricotta in my lasagna

But here at home we make Lasagna at least once a month ( have not smoked it yet ) we use mozza in the middle and on the top and most times ground beef.

David

Yup lasagna is da Bomb!!! I find anything I can do in my slow cooker or oven I can do on the Masterbuilt so I have been Frankensteining a lot of stuff. I also love taking members recpies and adding my own spin it's what it's all about :<). Such a helpful non-judgmental group we got here makes me all warm and fuzzy.. or is that the Candian Whiskey hahahah.
garfield and lasgana.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky