AMNS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevink

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Waxahachie, TX
Hi friends,

Santa brought me an AMNS for christmas.  I am planning an inaugural run with a 1.8 lb sockeye fillet using the maple dust.

How much dust do I use?  Do i need to prime this thing before I smoke with it?

Thanks, and any further advice on how to use this thingy will be sincerely appreciated!

-Kevin

You need to clean it in accordance with the instructions - then how long do you want to smoke the salmon? One leg is usually good in my smoker for about 2 hours so you can use that as a guide

thanks, Scar.  By leg do you mean one of those little rows in the amns?  I will probably cook for 2 hours approx.

Exactly. When I got my first AMNS I stuck it in my gas grill and cranked it up and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I have not seen a set of instructions in a long time but I think you could also run it thru the dishwasher at one time.

Hey Kevin,

Scar is right, burn the oils off first.

Each row will burn for approximately 1 1/2 - 2 hours, depending if you have a 6x6 or 6x8.  The AMNS starts producing smoke slowly, and produces a little more smoke as it gets going.  Fill up 2 rows and start it up.  This should get you enough smoke time, and depending on how much smoke you want, you may want to light the other end.  2 hours is a pretty short run for smoking, so I personally would light both ends.

What smoker do you use it in?

Any questions, you can PM, email or call me at (952)412-0484

Todd

All good info above:

I seasoned my first one in my gas grill, on high for 15 minutes.

Did my second one in the Dishwasher.

Just make sure it's completely dry whenever you load it, because the water will stay in the perforations for awhile.

Then the dust will absorb that water & cause problems getting it going.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky