AMNPS in a large smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have a pretty large smoker and would like to try to get some other wood flavors in my meat than what are available in my area. It is pretty difficult to find peach and pecan wood around here. I am wondering if using an AMNPS would generate enough smoke in my smoker to really impart those flavors in the meat.

I typically have a good supply of Hickory and Apple and once in a while Cherry wood to burn. I am trying to come across a good amount of Oak to use as my heat source and then augment with Pecan, Peach, Cherry, etc...

I tried to upload a picture of my smoker, but it keeps giving me an error on every picture I try to upload.

Thoughts?

By the way, our first competition is coming up in just over a week!

Oak is easy to find in Minnesota

Pecan is a little tough to find

Peach is really tough to find

Southern MN is full of cherry

If you have a larger smoker (as I do), you can always light both ends of the AMNPS for twice the smoking power. Of course, it'll only last half as long, but that's still a good 5+ hours on a double burn.

Last edited:
Another question I had related to this... Where would I place the AMNPS in my smoker. There is NO way it could go in my firebox, as it gets WAY too hot in there and the pellets would burn up in a minute. I've tried putting wood chunks as far away from the fire inside the firebox as possible and they still ignite within minutes. I was thinking maybe I could put this on one end under the meat rack where no meat would be dripping on it, far side from the exhaust stack. I'm just not sure if there is enough oxygen in the chamber to allow this thing to burn/smolder.

Imho.....I really don't see a use for the pellet smoker in your smoker unless you want to cold smoke only

Nice smoker by the way.......Thumbs Up

Joe

Last edited:
I would try to put it right at the intake of the firebox.  You may need to make a duct for the unit to sit in to direct the smoke in & shield it from the wind & rain.  Someone was going to use a mailbox for this.  Someone with a vertical propane smoker had luck with this method.

Don

Does anyone think that this will put some flavor into the meat from the AMNPS? I plan to use oak for the heat source, which will impart some flavor, but I'm wanting to try out pecan and peach for flavors. I just have issues trying to get ahold of some of the better liked flavored woods like pecan and peach around here.

With such a nice smoker it is such a shame to resort to those pellet devices :) 

If you really want peach, you can order online from Mixon's website, it is pricey though.  about 40 bucks for 10 or 20 lbs.  

You man want to call the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

Nice Smoker Cybergoon!  Not trying to take business from Todd!  You might consider checking with your local "Firewood" or "BBQ wood" guys.  Sometimes they have a stock of other assorted woods that they have access to as well.  The ones close to me here in Texas have a bigger assortment than I ever thought they would have.  And a lot less expensive than the websites and they don't charge a ton of $ for shipping. 

My brother in law uses Traeger pellets in his AMNPS and found them in a "feed store" close to his house.  I know they ship those off the internet too.

Also, some of the sporting goods stores have BBQ section that have bags (about 50 pounds) of different woods.  Our local company is Academ*y sports and outdoors. But, I think someone like Cabe*la's and/or Gande*r Mountai*n might have similar.

Don't know for sure, but worth a thought.

Either way good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky