Amish White Sandwich Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just wanted to re-up this for those who like to make their own bread and rolls for Thanksgiving..Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and God Bless You and your family..

Hey C, how the heck do you get those rolls to come out so pretty?  Mine look like a Klingon gave it a head butt!  My wife and I were just rolling with laughter in the kitchen when I took them out of the cold oven after letting them rise.  I know they'll taste fine once baked but they won't win any beauty contest!

Man, I'm still laughing!

Last edited:
My wife and the visiting daughter wanted sausage cream gravy and biscuits this morning.  I usually make biscuits and turkey gravy on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving but they wanted sausage gravy.  Unfortunately we got a late start on the morning, everyone was hungry, so I skipped the scratch buttermilk biscuits and just went right to making the sweet cream gravy and crisp frying the mild Italian sausage filling.  We used the Amish rolls in place of the biscuits.  OH......MY.......GOD, we may never use buttermilk biscuits again for this family favorite. 

My wife and the visiting daughter wanted sausage cream gravy and biscuits this morning.  I usually make biscuits and turkey gravy on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving but they wanted sausage gravy.  Unfortunately we got a late start on the morning, everyone was hungry, so I skipped the scratch buttermilk biscuits and just went right to making the sweet cream gravy and crisp frying the mild Italian sausage filling.  We used the Amish rolls in place of the biscuits.  OH......MY.......GOD, we may never use buttermilk biscuits again for this family favorite. 
I bet that was really good...Nice job !

Okay, second attempt at making rolls.  I watch probably 10-15 episodes of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives a week.  I saw on several episodes how folks were forming their rolls by tucking them under so the smooth part is on top.  You just gotta show me once.  Here they are as they are about to go in the oven.  Still gotta work on getting them all the same size but this is WAY better than my Klingon head butt attempt above.  Thank you Triple D! 

Okay, second attempt at making rolls.  I watch probably 10-15 episodes of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives a week.  I saw on several episodes how folks were forming their rolls by tucking them under so the smooth part is on top.  You just gotta show me once.  Here they are as they are about to go in the oven.  Still gotta work on getting them all the same size but this is WAY better than my Klingon head butt attempt above.  Thank you Triple D! 

That looks a lot better.

Well;  I am sure enough late to this party but I did finally arrive. 

Thanks for the recipe Mr. Roller.

I have read through this thread several times and finally dove into the project today.

Baked to an IT of 200*

It went great and I went through close to half a loaf before I could rein myself in.

I look forward to trying a few of the additional versions and uses for the basic recipe.

Last edited:
This Amish bread recipe has started to turn me into a baker, something I had no interest in. Now I've tried my Italian grandmother's bread and homemade pizza on a stone. The bread was cooked a little too long but was (is) delicious. The pizza was better than anything we've purchased lately. My baking skills are still rudimentary but endlessly entertaining to those watching.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky