Amish White Sandwich Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Roller, morning....  Is the whey that is left, real buttermilk ???   Buttermilk biscuits are in order... or some kind of cheese with the whey....  
Dave the Milk that is left is the best Milk that I have ever drank. It has small pieces of the Butter in it. I get it real cold and drink away. It is so good..

I've tried a few different bread recipes, and this IS really good bread. I love the chewy crumb, and the short rise times. Amish people are awesome! Speaking of Amish, anybody watching that Amish Mafia tv show? I don't watch a lot of tv, but I'm hooked on that show.

Here's my pics :)

A sliced view with an open faced sandwich. Egg and chicken salad I made with left over chicken I grilled (not smoked) earlier in the week.

Thank you for the recipe smfers!! :)

Oh, I forgot to add an important FYI.

I used regular flour and didn't use vital wheat gluten. I've never used that stuff before, I'm gonna try it next time, this recipe is worth it.

Anyways, if you look close you'll see my bread is dense. From what I've learned here I believe that's because I used normal flour.

Your bread looks great! It is usually a somewhat dense loaf compared to commercial bread, but will probably rise a little higher with bread flour and wheat gluten. One thing, it will be a little chewier. I happen to like that, which is why I use the wheat gluten. It's sort of like the consistency of Challah bread. It also makes incredible french toast and bread pudding.

And, it makes a real nice cinnamon roll.

Here's what I made this morning with the other half of the dough.

pre-bake pic:

post-bake pic:

pre-in my belly pic!:

My favorite SIL and her family came in town last night, this was our breakfast. I got compliments!
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: palladini
Hey there CandyC! Cin rolls look great! I wanna try his recipe too. Have all the stuff....just need the time!:biggrin:

Last edited:
...we interupt this thread for useless information...

candycoated:  I am so frustrated that I can't stop watching that silly show!!

...we now return you to your normally schedulled topic...

Since I couldn't smoke my pork butt today, I decided to make some bread. I went ahead and made both loaves since I've been in classes and we've been having a lot of sandwiches lately.

Didn't get any pics of the initial ingredients, but I used the basic recipe plus 2TB of wheat gluten.

Here it is about halfway through the kneading process.

After the 1st rise. It more than doubled as I ran to the store and it took longer than I'd planned.

In the loaf pans awaiting the 2nd rise.

Looks done, but not quite there,

That's more like it. I was shooting for 200˚, but went just a little over.

Didn't brush with butter as I  kinda like the rustic look. The crust softened almost immediately anyway.

All sliced up and ready to bag.

This turned out the best yet. I've been baking it for 33-34 minutes and had never checked the temp. To get to 200˚ it took almost 40 minutes, resulting in a little lighter texture. Almost identical in flavor and texture to Arnold's country white.

Beautiful bread Mdboatbum, looks delicious, and your photography skills are excellent.

I really like your new instant read thermo pin too. Where'd you get yours?

Now it's my turn!

Got in the kitchen and made myself a sammich... after I PMd Chef JimmyJ and asked him a few questions, which he graciously answered in detail. I couldn't have done it without him!

Recipe based off OP Amish white sandwich bread:
  • 2 c warm water
  • 1/3 c heaping packed light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 TBS instant yeast
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c EVOO
  • 6 c AP flour
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 4 TBS vital wheat gluten
  • 4oz creole mustard + 1.5tsp horseradish
  • 1/2lb cheese
  • 1/2lb meat
Rolled half the dough out to about 14"x18", topped with mustard, and provolone cheese. Left a clean border so I could press the seems together.

I bought this mat for making pie crusts. It is great for keeping the dough stretched out, stopping it from shrinking.

Topped with meat, and started to roll it up:

Ran out of RB, so I used a couple pieces of turkey.

All rolled up in a log, seams and ends pinched:

Close up of my seams:

It's not easy!

Parchment paper on top of my baking sheet, log folded in half to fit, 5 slits cut. Placed it on top of a heating pad on med heat (an idea I got from the poster Linguica)

loosely draped with press-n-seal to rise. I hate traditional cling wrap!

After last rise, pre-bake:

I temped my gas powered oven with my digital thermometer, it runs 10* hot. So I baked this sandwich at 265*. After first 15 mins I rotated the loaf because it was browning quicker on the back side. Then I baked it another 10 minutes. After that I tented with foil and baked another 10 minutes. This is what it looked like right out of the oven:

Decided I didn't like that dry look, so I melted some margarine and basted the outside:

After I let it cool for 30 mins I cut into it!

This is the center cut open:

One end cut:

The other end, and plated:

I couldn't eat that whole piece, I tried but failed.

The sandwich tasted fabulous! Slightly doughy, not too bad though.

Next time I think I'll leave a larger border on the side that will be the center of the roll, and not roll it so tightly.

Maybe a few extra TBS of flour next time I make dough for this kind of sandwich. (?)

Tomorrow I'll use the other half of the dough, and I'll be using Bacon, Swiss, and Turkey- in that order, no condiments.

Last edited:
So I've tried this recipe a couple of times...I'm not using Bread Flour as I just bought a 10lb bag of AP. I'm having trouble with a dry dough...I sprinkler water as it mixes to allow the mixer to do it's thing?

I cannot get a rise out of the dough? Is it the flour? If it is, easy fix. Each time I followed the recipe to a T except I add the Vital Wheat Gluten. The taste is amazing and the the dough makes the world's best cinnamon rolls!!! The loafs themselves aren't bad, and the do have a good texture?!

Thanks for posting!

Brett

So I've tried this recipe a couple of times...I'm not using Bread Flour as I just bought a 10lb bag of AP. I'm having trouble with a dry dough...I sprinkler water as it mixes to allow the mixer to do it's thing?

I cannot get a rise out of the dough? Is it the flour? If it is, easy fix. Each time I followed the recipe to a T except I add the Vital Wheat Gluten. The taste is amazing and the the dough makes the world's best cinnamon rolls!!! The loafs themselves aren't bad, and the do have a good texture?!

Thanks for posting!

Brett

It sounds like you're just adding too much flour. Try aerating your flour before you scoop it. A cup of flour can weigh anywhere from just under 4 oz. to upwards of 7oz, all depending on how packed down it is. If you have a scale, try for about 30oz of flour. If not, like I said, aerate the flour by sifting or shaking the canister. Then LIGHTLY scoop and scrape the top of your cup level. Chances are, you'll have a too wet dough. This is fine, actually preferable. Then just add flour a tablespoon at a time until it JUST pulls away from the bowl of the mixer. You want your dough to stick to your hands, your board, the bowl or what have you, but easily pull away. Think of the adhesive level of a Post-It[emoji]174[/emoji] note.

A dough that's too dense will have a hard time rising, and it's hard to get the gluten levels to where you need them. Another thing to remember, when you form your loaves, you want an unbroken "skin" on the outside of the loaf. If you have folds or tears in the outer skin, the gas will escape and it won't rise. One final thought, make sure to proof your yeast in tepid (100˚-110˚) water for about 10 minutes.Use bottled water if your tap water smells like chlorine. In the summer time here in DC, it actually smells like pool water. I also stir in a couple tablespoons of the sugar just to give it a kick start. If the water is too hot, it'll kill your yeast. Too cold, and your yeast just keeps on sleeping.

That's all I can think of. Keep trying, it'll happen!! This recipe is really, really good and rises almost too much sometimes.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in previous recipes (sorry, its hard to remember to tell every detail :/) When I add vital wheat gluten, I remove the same amount of AP flour.

Don't give up goingcamping. When I first started making my own breads a few years ago, I messed up a lot. And looking back, bad recipes prolly didn't help. This recipe is good IMO.

I have pictures of my second Stromboli (I learned that's the name of this sandwich I'm making).

It turned out much better, not doughy at all.

I used precooked bacon, swiss cheese, and turkey. No mustard or any sauce. Left a bigger boarder 2" on the side that would be the center. Didn't turn or tent when the loaf was in the oven.

Right out of the oven:

Basted with melted margarine:

Center cut:

One end cut:

The other end cut:

BTW, I'm practicing cooking for a family get together. About 2 dozen people for 4-5 nights. I may be a little too ambitious with my ideas, hehe.

try for about 30oz of flour.
Thanks for the reply's guys!

I'll give your suggestion a try...In some ways that was a thought too me? I used a thermometer to check temp, that was between 108-112degs before my yeast went in.

I know the yeast is good, I checked the date and just bought it (I know, that doesn't mean crap?)

Next time I'll post pics!

Ciao,

~Brett

Another twist on this amazing recipe. Sourdough

I mentioned it in another thread, but thought I'd post here. If you like sourdough flavor, but don't want to raise and maintain a starter, there is a way to get that flavor in your bread anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's called a "sponge". Basically, just take 2 cups of your flour, and 2 cups of water. (In a perfect world you'd use an equal weight of water and flour so you'd have an exact 100% hydration dough, but it doesn't have to be exact, so 2 cups of each works fine and is easier to keep track of for this recipe.) Add the full measure of yeast that the recipe calls for and mix up. Use a bowl that's a bit larger than necessary, as the sponge won't really "rise", but it will bubble up and expand a bit. You'll have a very gloppy mixture a little thicker than pancake batter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave it on the counter in a warm kitchen for 24 hours. The next day you'll notice that it's all bubbly, and may have a bit of liquid floating on top. This is called "hooch" and is just a byproduct of the fermentation process, but I wouldn't drink it. At this point you should also notice a distinct sour aroma. This is good. Now you can just add the other 4 cups of flour, the 2/3 of a cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of oil and the salt and wheat gluten if you use it. Then mix, knead, rise, punch, form, rise and bake as you normally would. The flavor is subtle, but there is definitely a sourdough "twang" in the finished product. The texture is exactly the same. I was a little afraid it would toughen the crust, but it didn't change a thing.

By the way, I'm thinking if you left it for 48 or even 72 hours, the flavor would be much more prevalent.

You guys and gals are doing great things with this recipe and Mel you are killing me with those CR`s..I have gotta do that...

Well i decided to make this bread. I doubled it and was amazed how fast it raised, so i have 2 loaves and a pan of rolls for my chicken an Gnocchi soup ( chicken an dumplings minus the dumplings) I will let ya know how it turns out. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky