Amish Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
See woodcutters thread and I want to try bologna. Its nepas recipe.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155695/amish-bologna-and-kabanosy-snack-sticks

After my last fail I took the advise and ground my own meat.

.99 cent picnics.

Double ground the pork and venison through a 1/4 in plate then 1/8 plate.

Pork

Venison.

No pics of the seasoning or stuffing. Sorry hard to do it myself and take pics.

Mixed and in the fridge overnight.

Stuffed in rings? Kinda.

Took 10 hours to reach 158. Thought that took too long. Oh well. Used pitmasters blend from Todd for 4 hours.

All done finally.

Water bath to cool down.

Out of the bath.

Into the fridge for a bloom but I had to do a taste test.

All though it took along time to reach IT it was still very moist. Had a good flavor. Might add to the spice mix next time to get something more out of it.

No wrinking of the casings this time. I will for sure grind my own meat from now on.

More pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nice Amish bologna Adam............
drool.gif
  The sausage gods are on your side.....
icon14.gif

Joe

I strive to smoke sausage like you did these because I have goods results. It might taste a little stronger tomorrow. It looks very good from here.

I strive to smoke sausage like you did these because I have goods results. It might taste a little stronger tomorrow. It looks very good from here.
I agree. Let it sit in the refrig for a bit and the flavors will become more pronounced.

Great job Adam. Welcome to the dark side. 
Beer.gif

Thanks Todd.  I will give another taste test tonight. 
icon14.gif

CF, Nice job on the sausage !
points.gif
Thanks CM

I agree. Let it sit in the refrig for a bit and the flavors will become more pronounced.

Great job Adam. Welcome to the dark side. 
Beer.gif
Thanks Sam. 

Last edited:
I tried more tonight.

I just feel it needs something else, don't get me wrong its very good. I will keep making it just like this but do some experiments with it too.

This turned out really good. The Mrs and I got to taste a sample. We finished it all quickly. Great smooth texture. The casings kinda got really moist and melted right into the bologna flavor and texture. I'm guessing the water bath does that? Hit some larger garlic pockets in some areas. Nothing that I'd complain about at all. Big Thumbs up for this. Thumbs Up

It looks pretty darn good to me, Adam. I think you are just getting to be so good you are picky. Just saying.

Disco

This turned out really good. The Mrs and I got to taste a sample. We finished it all quickly. Great smooth texture. The casings kinda got really moist and melted right into the bologna flavor and texture. I'm guessing the water bath does that? Hit some larger garlic pockets in some areas. Nothing that I'd complain about at all. Big Thumbs up for this. Thumbs Up

Thanks Mark.

I need to get the garlic minced better and the casing did turn out great.

It looks pretty darn good to me, Adam. I think you are just getting to be so good you are picky. Just saying.

Disco

Thanks Disco, I just wish I am really that good. This is a great and easy recipe to make .

Last edited:
Man, they had to be awesome & taste wayyy goood.... If ya don't agree, send em to me ! :biggrin: LOL !

Looks great Adam. Glad grinding your own worked out for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky