Alternative to A-MAZE-N Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old smokey nj

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Medford Lakes, NJ
Hello everyone,

I have an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, and need to get more pellets. There are other brands on Amazon that have excellent ratings, no binders, fillers, etc., and are considerably cheaper. Some are 1/4 the price of A-MAZE-N brand!!!

Does anyone have any advice on any other brand(s) they may have used - good, bad , or indifferent? I'm smoking a lot more these days, and my better half, though she enjoys all my creations, keeps an eye on the bank account!!:emoji_cop:

My grandfather had a saying: "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Most reports about other pellets is that they produce inferior-tasting smoke. Many of the cheap pellets are for pellet smokers, where the main reason for the pellets is to produce the heat, not produce pleasant tasting smoke.

The AMNPS uses such a small number of pellets per smoke -- certainly compared to a pellet smoker like a Traeger -- that I really don't think the difference in price will amount to a hill of beans.

Finally, search this forum and you'll find a HUGE number of threads about pellets, including reports on what binders are used, smoke taste, "smokeability" (do they go out?), etc.

AMAZN pellets are the best... I've been using them for 7 years...
Calculate your cost.... I always buy $50 worth of stuff from Todd so shipping is free... I also wait for a 20% off sale....

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 2LB

Standard BBQ Pellet Flavors:

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend
MSRP: $7.99

Our Price: $6.99

Sale Price: $5.99 X 10 = $59.99

You save $2.00!

Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 20LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
MSRP: $44.99

Our Price: $39.99

Sale Price: $24.99

You save $20.00!

59.99-24.99 = $35 savings
Plus, if you order more stuff to get to $50, you ship for free...
Sooo, 40#'s for $50.... $1.25 per pound...... vs... 2#'s for $6 + shipping....

generally my smokes will last about 4 hours... That's ~ 1/2 of the AMNPS... So to smoke a load of meat it cost about $0.60.... I generally smoke 2 butts or a large turkey.. they weigh about 20#'s each...
Breaking that down further, that's about $0.03-0.05 per pound for a quality smoking product....

That is a no brainer...

Virtually all BBQ pellets are made from 100% hardwood with no binders. The term 'no fillers' that some brands have on the bag can cause confusion. Although they all are made from hardwood, some pellets use a small amount (30% for example) of the flavor wood listed on the bag, while the balance is made up of a neutral wood like oak or alder. So 'no filler' does not necessarily mean 100% flavor wood.

But some brands like Lumberjack, Cookin Pellets, Smoke Ring and others, sell 100% flavor wood pellets. These are every bit as good as Todds and can be much less expensive if you willing to buy in larger quantities. The reason Todds can be more expensive is that he is selling small quantities primarily to folks that use small amounts in tubes and trays.

Virtually all BBQ pellets are made from 100% hardwood with no binders. The term 'no fillers' that some brands have on the bag can cause confusion. Although they all are made from hardwood, some pellets use a small amount (30% for example) of the flavor wood listed on the bag, while the balance is made up of a neutral wood like oak or alder. So 'no filler' does not necessarily mean 100% flavor wood.

But some brands like Lumberjack, Cookin Pellets, Smoke Ring and others, sell 100% flavor wood pellets. These are every bit as good as Todds and can be much less expensive if you willing to buy in larger quantities. The reason Todds can be more expensive is that he is selling small quantities primarily to folks that use small amounts in tubes and trays.
I agree. many quality choices are available at a fraction of the price.

Hello everyone,

I have an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, and need to get more pellets. There are other brands on Amazon that have excellent ratings, no binders, fillers, etc., and are considerably cheaper. Some are 1/4 the price of A-MAZE-N brand!!!

Does anyone have any advice on any other brand(s) they may have used - good, bad , or indifferent? I'm smoking a lot more these days, and my better half, though she enjoys all my creations, keeps an eye on the bank account!!:emoji_cop:

B&B pellets are awesome. available at Walmart in 20lb bags for a fraction of the cost....
Don't be afraid to try them.

BBQ Grillers Gold are so an excellent choice.

Last pellets I bought came from Owens BBQ . Not sure where Marty gets his pellets ( I have an idea ) but far better than any others I have bought from local retail . Next order will be from Todd .

Reactions: daveomak
I buy my dust and pellets from Todd. Since I only use them for cheese and salmon one order lasts a year or two. It's easier for me to store the smaller bags and I like using proven quality product.

Chris

Well I appreciate all the feedback, and I certainly like to support our own. I will be buying in bulk, so Todd's may be a good option (thanks Dave!). I may check out Bill's option and try a side by side comparison.

And thanks to everyone for getting back to me - that's why I love this forum!!!

+1; Very well said. I thought the talk of his customer service was overstated. Last order I threw a suggestion in the comments line and like an hour later I got an email from Todd...

+1; Very well said. I thought the talk of his customer service was overstated. Last order I threw a suggestion in the comments line and like an hour later I got an email from Todd...

Overstated! Lol...The SMF crew is very friendly, but Nobody, Ever, hesitates to call another out on Bull S#!T. If Todd or any other Sponsor does not treat us Right...EVERYONE will hear about it in Minutes!
To many here, Todd is a Friend, Colleague and the Number One Sponsor. If anything Todd handles is not Right, He will make it right in short order...JJ

Reactions: nerdbq and zwiller
AMAZN pellets are the best... I've been using them for 7 years...
Calculate your cost.... I always buy $50 worth of stuff from Todd so shipping is free... I also wait for a 20% off sale....

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 2LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
MSRP: $7.99

Our Price: $6.99

Sale Price: $5.99 X 10 = $59.99

You save $2.00!

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 20LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
MSRP: $44.99

Our Price: $39.99

Sale Price: $24.99

You save $20.00!

59.99-24.99 = $35 savings
Plus, if you order more stuff to get to $50, you ship for free...
Sooo, 40#'s for $50.... $1.25 per pound...... vs... 2#'s for $6 + shipping....

generally my smokes will last about 4 hours... That's ~ 1/2 of the AMNPS... So to smoke a load of meat it cost about $0.60.... I generally smoke 2 butts or a large turkey.. they weigh about 20#'s each...
Breaking that down further, that's about $0.03-0.05 per pound for a quality smoking product....

That is a no brainer...

^^^^Dave pretty much covered it right here^^^^

Bear

OK... I found my last order... Here's what it cost me to order 45# of Todd's pellets...
Pretty much in line, if not less expensive than others have noted... with a 20% discount coupon he usually runs several times per year....

.... $1.25 per pound delivered to my door.... about $0.31 per 4 hour smoke...

Check your costs to compare.....

AMAZN pellet order.png

Reactions: Bearcarver
BBQ Grillers Gold are so an excellent choice.

I'm pretty certain that both Grillers Gold and B&B are not 100% flavor wood - they are made from mostly oak or alder with a smaller percentage of the wood listed on the bag. That's OK for pellet grill, but I would stick with 100% flavor wood pellets for tube or maze smoker. The difference in cost per smoke between any pellet is negligible if you're just using a tube of AMNPS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky