Alternative to A-MAZE-N Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
buck1.jpg
The Henry is hard chromed in and out and a water proof coated hardwood stock. A total worry free rifle. I had a very pretty and ornate Weatherby. I was totally paranoid in rain or heavy brush that it would get scratched or rust. The Freezer is just about empty here too...JJ

I got my Marlin for Christmas, I'll never forget... I was in seventh grade, very proud that my parents trusted me with such a tool, unsupervised. I guess I had proven myself, having been given a .22 the Christmas before, and shot woodchucks unsupervised (after proper safety training) with my dad's .30-06 since about 4th grade...

Anyway, I used to get upset with any nick or scratch on my rifles..

Now I look at each scratch and nick and it reminds me of an adventure.

Here is the result of my latest adventure.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I had bought a bag of B&B Apple before I read that they were not 100% Applewood. I smoked my 1st batch of bacon with it and ther taste was more like Oak than Apple. I have scored a huge bag of 100% Pecan shavings and although I haven't smoked anything with them yet I have been testing them. So far so good. I packed the AMNPS oval tube really tight and got about 4-5 hours smoke, the tray I loaded up and packed it the best I could I lit one side and as it burned the other rows began to burn too. Got about an hour out of that.
DSCN3407.JPG
DSCN3408.JPG

Good score! Where did you source the free pecan shavings from?
I found them on Craigslist. The guy is doing some work on a huge slice of a very old pecan turning it into a table top. These are shavings from the router. 55 gallon bag was $20.00. He told me when he was through with the pecan project he will turning some mesquite slabs into fireplace mantles and will have big bags of that too.

I found them on Craigslist. The guy is doing some work on a huge slice of a very old pecan turning it into a table top. These are shavings from the router. 55 gallon bag was $20.00. He told me when he was through with the pecan project he will turning some mesquite slabs into fireplace mantles and will have big bags of that too.
Awesome find!

Note to self: do not burn shavings in fire pit and sell on Craigslist! :emoji_wink:
I have been trying various methods of burning them. Tube, tray, etc. they burn good give off good smoke and will last a while if I pack the tube really tight with them. and they were cheap.

Hello everyone,

I have an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker...Does anyone have any advice on any other brand(s) they may have used - good, bad , or indifferent? I'm smoking a lot more these days, and my better half, though she enjoys all my creations, keeps an eye on the bank account!!:emoji_cop:

You might want to read the reviews on https://perfectsmoked.com/best-smoking-pellets/ which ranks their picks for the 9 Best Smoking Pellets brands. I have tried other pellets but still like the A-MAZE-N brand overall. As an aide, for all my guy things (smokers, pellets, guns and ammo, cigars, wine and beer, etc.) I have my own checking (bank) account. :emoji_airplane:

Best

I can get silly Drunk on Banker's Club Gin...But...I'd really prefer to treat myself to Tangueray. After all I'm worth it.
Mixed pellets make good smoked Meat. But Todd's 100% Flavor Wood pellets have always made Great Smoked Meat.
I don't mess with a good thing to save a buck. I'm not rich but it's Hellman's Mayo, Heinz Ketchup and Todd's Pellets...JJ

AMAZN pellets are the best... I've been using them for 7 years...
Calculate your cost.... I always buy $50 worth of stuff from Todd so shipping is free... I also wait for a 20% off sale....

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 2LB

Standard BBQ Pellet Flavors:

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend
MSRP: $7.99

Our Price: $6.99

Sale Price: $5.99 X 10 = $59.99

You save $2.00!
Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 20LB

Standard BBQ Pellet Flavors:

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend
MSRP: $44.99

Our Price: $39.99

Sale Price: $24.99

You save $20.00!
Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

59.99-24.99 = $35 savings
Plus, if you order more stuff to get to $50, you ship for free...
Sooo, 40#'s for $50.... $1.25 per pound...... vs... 2#'s for $6 + shipping....

generally my smokes will last about 4 hours... That's ~ 1/2 of the AMNPS... So to smoke a load of meat it cost about $0.60.... I generally smoke 2 butts or a large turkey.. they weigh about 20#'s each...
Breaking that down further, that's about $0.03-0.05 per pound for a quality smoking product....

That is a no brainer...
This post addresses my question. which of the pellets out there are suitable for generating smoke rather than being a fuel supply. I also am interested in the ability to do long cold smoke for salumi making. Anyway where do I get this 20# sale deal.

Reactions: daveomak
This post addresses my question. which of the pellets out there are suitable for generating smoke rather than being a fuel supply. I also am interested in the ability to do long cold smoke for salumi making. Anyway where do I get this 20# sale deal.

I mostly do long cold smokes... <70F and then for warm smokes, ~110-130F.... And I use Todd's pellet tray.... The BEST cold smoking I've done is converting his pellets to dust... burns much cooler, about 25F cooler and burns much slower so the smoke is a fine smoke....

4 oz. of pellet dust in Todd's pellet tray... The AMNPS.... The AMNPS holds about 16 oz. of pellets..
5-6 hours of burn time on the dust... and about 10 hours of burn on the pellets....

.. Pellet Dust 3.JPG

Pellet dust fresh out of the oven.....

003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
I prefer Dave's homemade dust from pellets for all my cold smoking. It gives a very thin light blue smoke which is perfect for cold smoking Salamis. I actually have some goose and pork jalapeno and cheese snack sticks hanging in the smokehouse to ferment while I roll cold smoke to them.... rolling along @ 86*F; perfect optimum fermentation temp. for the culture I am using. I will hang them in my drying chamber when fermentation is complete and dry them to 40~45% weight loss. Should take 7~10 days...

I mostly do long cold smokes... <70F and then for warm smokes, ~110-130F.... And I use Todd's pellet tray.... The BEST cold smoking I've done is converting his pellets to dust... burns much cooler, about 25F cooler and burns much slower so the smoke is a fine smoke....

4 oz. of pellet dust in Todd's pellet tray... The AMNPS.... The AMNPS holds about 16 oz. of pellets..
5-6 hours of burn time on the dust... and about 10 hours of burn on the pellets....

..View attachment 455073

Pellet dust fresh out of the oven.....

View attachment 455074

The last time we "talked it was about winter greenhouse. Thanks for the tech.

I prefer Dave's homemade dust from pellets for all my cold smoking. It gives a very thin light blue smoke which is perfect for cold smoking Salamis. I actually have some goose and pork jalapeno and cheese snack sticks hanging in the smokehouse to ferment while I roll cold smoke to them.... rolling along @ 86*F; perfect optimum fermentation temp. for the culture I am using. I will hang them in my drying chamber when fermentation is complete and dry them to 40~45% weight loss. Should take 7~10 days...
Smoked redfish? I am from the PNW. And the only redfish I know are a landlocked salmon in The Kootnae In B.C. Sounds yummy though.

sWho is todd. If we are talking amazn pellets. How do I order them. I am not able to access their website. I ordered the 5x8 maze on amazon and ran an a test today as it came loaded with pellets. It took 3 tries o get it burning properly, I ran it for 5 hours and it burned 1 row. I have it in a exterior burn chamber piped into my DIY Smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky