All American Backyard BBQ: Dino Ribs W/ Sides

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All you need is simple sides when the protein looks that good.
I couldn't agree more Jim. Sure, it's nice to do a bit more upscale meal once in a while but I'm just a country boy from humble roots. Food like this most of the time is just fine.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Robert there are several shots of the ribs that are magazine worthy.
I hardly think so but thank you for the kind words. Still nothing compared to the presentations you put together.
Great job and happy birthday
Tuesday (today) is actually my birthday but thank you.

Robert

Some gorgeous lookin' dino's there Robert, nice work! What are you going to do after a meal like that Birthday Boy, doesn't get any better than those ribs
Very much appreciate the kind words my friend but this dinner was actually 2 days before my birthday, which is today. I do have something fun in mind for dinner this evening :emoji_wink:

Robert

Robert , That's a perfect plate . Pellet grills are fantastic when you're busy with other things .
Thanks so much Rich. The Rec Tec certainly has it's place in the arsenal. The set it and forget it aspect is great for times like this.

Robert

Awesome thread Robert! You always have a great recap on the day, along with your incredible cooks, that I appreciate!
The sentiments are appreciated Jed. The way I learned when I started here in the forum was by way of the dialog people would include in their threads. I've just tried to carry on the way I was taught.
Awesome, beautiful, and fun cook!
2 out of 3 ain't bad :emoji_laughing: I'd not really call it "fun" but more a matter of necessity.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Well worth it after a hard days work, and being able to sit on the patio in February must feel good.
Thank you Joe!! Weird though. The Sunday this meal was cooked and the Sunday a week before the weather was gorgeous. The days in between, not so much :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Your ribs look fantastic as usual Robert!
Sounds like you and Tracy earned a good meal!
Glad to hear the cleanup process is going well too!
Thank you Al. It was a hard earned meal, that's for sure. Yep, we got a good jump on things but still a long way to go. We'll get there though.

Robert

The mark of a true multitasker: knowing which tool to use (and how) for the situation at hand.
How true Matt, but it also helps if you have the necessary equipment :emoji_wink: I'm blessed to have a pretty nice setup on the patio with quite a few options.
Excellent looking dinner Robert, all in the middle of a massive cleanup project. I don't know how you do it, but my hat is off to ya!
Truth be told, it is just pure determination. We've always been self-sufficient and don't pay people to do the stuff we are capable of doing ourselves, regardless of how big the task may be. Saving money where we can by doing it ourselves is part of Tracy's retirement plan for us. Believe me, we aren't enjoying this task but we will enjoy that early retirement :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice ribs Robert! Hope your clean up goes well.
Appreciate it Ryan. When we got deeper into it and realized the enormity of what we had ahead of us, I ordered a chipper attachment that hooks up to the PTO shaft on the tractor. That wasn't cheap but WAY less expensive than paying somebody to haul all this stuff out of here.

Robert

Wow...what a weekend. By sunup on Saturday I had the loader bucket connected on the big tractor, the utility cart hooked to Tracy's tractor, both of them filled with fuel, and all 4 chainsaws as well as the 12' pole saw filled with gas and oil. Let the massive clean-up project commence!! We worked non-stop till about 3:00 when we pretty much fell over. Still a LONG way to go but made good progress. Had take-out pizza for dinner and within about an hour both of us wondered if we had drank the Kool Aid at Jonestown, Guyana :emoji_laughing: Not fun. Yesterday we got a bit later start and while Tracy was at church, I somewhat defrosted a rack of beef chuck short (Dino) ribs, seasoned them up, and got them on the Rec Tec.

The 4-bone rack of ribs, weight was 5 pounds 4 ounces. These things are gonna be monsters.
View attachment 657129

Seasoned up with my beef rub.
View attachment 657130

Wow...I'm liking the look of these things. Just beautiful.
View attachment 657131

Got some fog rolling through the canyon at the back of the property. I'm waiting for Ichabod Crane to come riding up the hill :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 657132
View attachment 657133

Ribs onto the Rec Tec with the set point at 275. I'd have preferred to do them on the cabinet smoker but with all the work cutting fallen trees, I knew I wouldn't be able to tend to it so took the easy way out.
View attachment 657134

About 3 hours in. Starting to get some pull-back but this is one ugly pic!!
View attachment 657135

A couple ears of corn with the butter and SPOG treatment, then wrapped in foil.
View attachment 657136

Ribs at 6 hours. Time to put the corn on. Ribs are actually starting like they are supposed to look :emoji_wink: Getting close to being done so turned the smoker down to 240.
View attachment 657137

I'm thinking these are gonna be pretty good.
View attachment 657138

Did the Frankenstein job on a can of original Busch's baked beans.
View attachment 657139

Ribs done and into the house at 8 hours.
View attachment 657140

Sliced. Moist, meaty, tender, and soft as velvet.
View attachment 657141

Plated up and out to the patio for dinner. A very simple plate but also a very good plate.
View attachment 657142

Wow...look how moist these things are.
View attachment 657143

Nothing special about this....except that we didn't get food poisoning from it :emoji_astonished: Temp was in the mid 70's....go figure. We're eating outside after spending 2 days cleaning up from the huge ice storm. Define irony? I honestly believe the weather is bipolar. These ribs are just totally off the charts. No baste, no mop, and no sauce. Just seasoning, heat, and smoke for the perfect rib. My only issue is that they are so rich it's hard to eat more than one of them....but at over a pound each, one should be plenty. They just taste SOOO good, you wanna keep eating. Not a very pretty presentation but not all of them need to look like 5-star dining. More often than not, good backyard BBQ is exactly what the doctor ordered. After two brutal days of work cleaning up from the ice storm, this was in fact what the doctor ordered. Hats off once again to the Rec Tec also. I don't use it often for a cook like this but it sure was great to have and turned out some fantastic ribs.
I have a feeling that there will always be one of these in the arsenal for situations like this.

Well y'all take care and I'll see everybody soon. Just got a crisis call from the office and I need to write a couple reports for our lead engineer...oh joy.

Robert
Fantastic!

Wow...what a weekend. By sunup on Saturday I had the loader bucket connected on the big tractor, the utility cart hooked to Tracy's tractor, both of them filled with fuel, and all 4 chainsaws as well as the 12' pole saw filled with gas and oil. Let the massive clean-up project commence!! We worked non-stop till about 3:00 when we pretty much fell over. Still a LONG way to go but made good progress. Had take-out pizza for dinner and within about an hour both of us wondered if we had drank the Kool Aid at Jonestown, Guyana :emoji_laughing: Not fun. Yesterday we got a bit later start and while Tracy was at church, I somewhat defrosted a rack of beef chuck short (Dino) ribs, seasoned them up, and got them on the Rec Tec.

The 4-bone rack of ribs, weight was 5 pounds 4 ounces. These things are gonna be monsters.
View attachment 657129

Seasoned up with my beef rub.
View attachment 657130

Wow...I'm liking the look of these things. Just beautiful.
View attachment 657131

Got some fog rolling through the canyon at the back of the property. I'm waiting for Ichabod Crane to come riding up the hill :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 657132
View attachment 657133

Ribs onto the Rec Tec with the set point at 275. I'd have preferred to do them on the cabinet smoker but with all the work cutting fallen trees, I knew I wouldn't be able to tend to it so took the easy way out.
View attachment 657134

About 3 hours in. Starting to get some pull-back but this is one ugly pic!!
View attachment 657135

A couple ears of corn with the butter and SPOG treatment, then wrapped in foil.
View attachment 657136

Ribs at 6 hours. Time to put the corn on. Ribs are actually starting like they are supposed to look :emoji_wink: Getting close to being done so turned the smoker down to 240.
View attachment 657137

I'm thinking these are gonna be pretty good.
View attachment 657138

Did the Frankenstein job on a can of original Busch's baked beans.
View attachment 657139

Ribs done and into the house at 8 hours.
View attachment 657140

Sliced. Moist, meaty, tender, and soft as velvet.
View attachment 657141

Plated up and out to the patio for dinner. A very simple plate but also a very good plate.
View attachment 657142

Wow...look how moist these things are.
View attachment 657143

Nothing special about this....except that we didn't get food poisoning from it :emoji_astonished: Temp was in the mid 70's....go figure. We're eating outside after spending 2 days cleaning up from the huge ice storm. Define irony? I honestly believe the weather is bipolar. These ribs are just totally off the charts. No baste, no mop, and no sauce. Just seasoning, heat, and smoke for the perfect rib. My only issue is that they are so rich it's hard to eat more than one of them....but at over a pound each, one should be plenty. They just taste SOOO good, you wanna keep eating. Not a very pretty presentation but not all of them need to look like 5-star dining. More often than not, good backyard BBQ is exactly what the doctor ordered. After two brutal days of work cleaning up from the ice storm, this was in fact what the doctor ordered. Hats off once again to the Rec Tec also. I don't use it often for a cook like this but it sure was great to have and turned out some fantastic ribs.
I have a feeling that there will always be one of these in the arsenal for situations like this.

Well y'all take care and I'll see everybody soon. Just got a crisis call from the office and I need to write a couple reports for our lead engineer...oh joy.

Robert
Looks great buddy, can't wait to do mine!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky