AIP/Paleo curing bacon and ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2016
Central Pennsylvania
My wife has developed extreme food allergies and has to follow a strick AIP/paleo diet. I have cured bacon and ham for her in the past and have had some success.
I use celery powder instead of #1 because that is what she wants. I know #1 should be ok but I also like making things she will eat and enjoy.
Friday night we cooked some vegetable to make stock for the ham. Veggies included carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, onions and bay leaf. Stock was used in 10% injection in ham with cure, sea salt, apple butter and honey

Veggie stock
A0A49172-C0E5-4DBE-9AAB-657806D1DF9C.jpeg

77502D70-7B8F-4168-9137-B62153F622FC.jpeg

One belly was 11lbs and the other was 10lbs.
I cut them in halves so they would fit into ziplock bag easier.

2EC7848F-A954-4159-B2D6-DF1CE624D134.jpeg

Mixed up apple butter, sea salt and celery powder and rubbed it into the bellies then into ziplocks and into the refrigerator.

Looking to smoke them on the 27th

I used unsweetened apple butter instead of sugar. Last time I did this I used coconut sugar and my wife thought that might have caused her some sickness

Last edited:
So you injected everything into the meat? applebutter and all?

So you injected everything into the meat? applebutter and all?
Into the hams I did inject everything.

My 10% injection was 1 cup apple butter 1/4 cup honey and the balance was vegetable stock plus sea salt and cure. Injected just like you did yours I think.

Into the hams I did inject everything.

My 10% injection was 1 cup apple butter 1/4 cup honey and the balance was vegetable stock plus sea salt and cure. Injected just like you did yours I think.

I did the same this year and last year.

Today is smoking day. I am using the burner I made this week to get the fire started. Using hickory and apple.

49E8E63A-A214-4CEC-AA3E-22CED1BF4A4E.jpeg

A man with a plan, and the plan is coming together. Looks really good so far. I'm all in.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky