Ahhhhhh Crap!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris Engelhardt

Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
Started electric smoker at 11 pm last night with 11 pound pork shoulder. Went to bed around 1:45 and all was fine. Woke up this am and the power was killed. No idea but the circuit tripped. Woke up to smoker at 140 degrees. Shoulder was at 142. Any issue with continuing? Suggestions?

Chris

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
Sorry the pork was at 162 degrees and the box at 140 when the issue found. Hopefully all good.

Keep going! I'm sure you have by now though. I take my pork shoulders to a minimum of 195, but I have taken them up to 200-205 before. I've always had great results either way, for some reason though, I always like to take my pork shoulders a little higher if I have the time.

Keep going! I'm sure you have by now though. I take my pork shoulders to a minimum of 195, but I have taken them up to 200-205 before. I've always had great results either way, for some reason though, I always like to take my pork shoulders a little higher if I have the time.
I'll probably go a little higher since it shut down. Just to be safe.

Welcome to the sight Chris. Use the probe method to tell if the butt is done not by temperature. Take a toothpick or something similar and insert it into various areas of the butt. If it goes in with no resistance (like pushing it in to warm butter) it is done. It may even finish a little higher than 205.

Reactions: anstissk
Take it to 205, wrap it in foil, and let it rest in a cooler with old towels for at least a couple hours. You wont be disappointed!

As everyone said above, it will be fine.

If you aren't using a thermo/probe set up to monitor the smoker's temp during an overnight smoke, then you should consider doing so for future overnighters.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky