Age test!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
yep, also the wall mounted holders for them put by stoves/ovens....
matchbox-holder.jpg

This was in on the wall by the stove in an old rattle-trap house we rented when we were first married over 40 years ago...it was caked in stove grease and took me a couple of days to get it "clean", so when we moved, it moved with me.

Yes, I stole it :emoji_scream: and it has hung in every kitchen I've had since.

Ohio blue tips were the matches I remember as a kid. We also made the bolt and washers combo for putting wads of cap gun strips in. Pow!!

View attachment 649830

This was in on the wall by the stove in an old rattle-trap house we rented when we were first married over 40 years ago...it was caked in stove grease and took me a couple of days to get it "clean", so when we moved, it moved with me.

very nice looking one!! you had to do all the work of cleaning it up so you're just "borrowing" it for a while....

I will look for these next time I am at Kroger's, haven't seen any in years, got broke of cigarette loads, uncle put a whole fire cracker in my smokes 1 day, stuck it in my mouth fired the lighter up and seen a fire run down the side, tried to grab and got 2 fingers on it when it went off, twas ugly lips nose everything hurt and couldn't hear squat for a few minutes, I can laugh now but never loaded another 1 since lol

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
On sunny days I used to lay a bunch of them down side by side and light one with my magnifying glass and watch them catch going on down the line. Good times.....

View attachment 649830

It lives in my garage now but was in grandma's kitchen as long as I can remember.
My uncle made it in high school wood shop.
I can still see grandpa lighting his pipe with a match from it....
holder.jpg

Had a buddy in high school that used to carry loose ones in his front pocket. One night he was digging something out of his pocket and managed to light them off. Nasty burns on his fingers, hand, and inner thigh! I don't believe he carried them there after that.

When I was a kid, my next door neighbor who was a few years older than me, got ahold of a lot of them somehow. He cut the heads off and filled a tennis ball with them, then set it off in his backyard. When that went off, I think every dad came running out of their houses like it was the second Blitz. Pretty sure he was grounded for months after that.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Since we're talking about things we did when we were younger. Does anyone remember tennis ball cannons? When you take four beer cans. Remove the top and bottom off of three of the cans. Tape them together end to end. Punch a hole in the bottom of the fourth can and squirt some lighter fluid in it. Pop a tennis ball down the tube give it a couple of shakes and light a match near the hole. The tennis ball would shoot out of the cans. Fun times.

Chris

Since we're talking about things we did when we were younger. Does anyone remember tennis ball cannons? When you take four beer cans. Remove the top and bottom off of three of the cans. Tape them together end to end. Punch a hole in the bottom of the fourth can and squirt some lighter fluid in it. Pop a tennis ball down the tube give it a couple of shakes and light a match near the hole. The tennis ball would shoot out of the cans. Fun times.

Chris
Missed out on that one...you have any tennis balls?

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
Not since my father passed away, but now I may go out and buy a can. I can shoot them at my grandson.

Chris
No grandkids yet but bet my 6 month old puppy would probably love playing fetch!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky