Affordable Cooking Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I am new to the smoking business and just purchased a pit boss pellet smoker.  Has anyone tried the pit boss brand pellets.  I bought a bag this weekend and used them all day on various meats.  They sell them at my local Menards.  $23 for a 40 pound bag.  They seemed to do just fine.  Low ash, great flavor.  I used competition blend.  No issues.  I thought the price was reasonable.  Cheaper then charcoal for the amount used.  
Hi Shane!  First off, looks like this is your first post here...so welcome aboard!  Congrats on that new Pit Boss...hope you have fun learning everything you can do with it!

To answer your question, I've never tried the Pit Boss pellets, but it sounds like you've been satisfied with how their flavor and performance.  $23 per 40# is a pretty good price, so as long as you're happy, that's all that matters IMO.

Have fun, and happy smoking!

Red

I tried the bbq delight hickory pellets.  I found they created a lot of ash, there was to much saw dust at the bottom of the bag and there were pieces of blue rubber that were in 2 of the 20# bags that I opened.  Some of the rubber was really small but some of it was 1/4 inch in size.  I really don't like being forced to sift my pellets for trash.

I tried treager, they kicked off a lot of ash with not much flavor.

I just ordered some of the 100% hickory from cookingpellets dot com....  I hope to have better results.
How did the hickory pellets  form cooking pellets work out for you?

How did the hickory pellets  form cooking pellets work out for you?
Hey cosmo...

I know you asked this question of someone else, but I'll give you my opinion if it helps.  CookinPellets 100% hickory are my favorite pellets.  They are the only pellets I've tried in my pellet cooker where I can taste a noticeable difference in smoke flavor.  To be fair, I've not used Lumberjack pellets because they're hard to get in my neck of the woods...but I've read others say the same about them as well.  Because of space limitations, I don't buy in bulk.  So what I like to do is wait for Amazon to have a good price, and then buy a few bags of CP 100% hickory at a time with their free shipping.

I'm not sure where Todd (T Johnson) at A-Maze-N Products gets his pellets...but they are good too if you're looking for fuel for a smoker tube or maze.  He's also a good source of pellet information...kinda the resident expert around here.  He has answered questions for me about pellets more than once.

Red

Reactions: cosmo4u
​That price seems really good. I found Campfire Chief at Gander Mountain for 9,99 for a 20 lbs bag, Apple was all they had.

ssteinf

Reactions: joe fenn
Traeger Hickory is cheap via Costco but it and their blends don't have enough flavor.

I like Lumber Jack and I just found a great deal on Louisiana at Amazon.

Loving the Mesquite and Oak for my big brisket cooks and Apple for most everything else (chicken, salmon and pork) 

Louisiana Grills 55410 Tennessee Whiskey Barrel Oak, 40-Pound

Louisiana Grills 55408 Texas Mesquite Pellets, 40-Pound

Louisiana Grills 55403 New England Apple Pellets, 40-Pound

I use .80c per lb as a price target  > $1.00 is too much.

"Well now that I have Amazon Prime what is the best brand of pellet on the market? I see that I can get BBQers Delight and Lumber Jack with the free shipping. Are there any others I should try?"
I just bought a ton (200 lbs ) of the Lousiana at a great price with free shipping. 

Last edited:
Ken Caryl area of  Littleton Colorado.  Do you have a better source? 

I see you are in Jupiter FL. We also have a Sanibel place. 

And in case you are thinking of stopping by......

41nX10ZdveL.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys! Do you notice a significant difference in the quality and performance of different brands of cooking pellets? The premium brands can be pretty expensive, especially if you have to order and pay shipping costs. There apparently aren't a lot of retail dealers in my area who sell pellets of any kind. But I found some real affordable pellets at Academy (thanks, veryolddog). They're B&B Brand, and Academy carries 3 flavors - Hickory, Mesquite and Apple. 20 lb. bags for $9.99. Can anyone weigh in on the quality of these pellets compared to the more expensive brands? I haven't burned enough pellets through my new pellet pit yet to be a very good judge.

What do y'all think?

Red
I'm new here so forgive me if it has already been addressed on this thread. B&B pellets are oak blends. The primary wood used is oak mixed with flavoring wood. They are not 100% apple wood, mesquite, or hickory. I have used them and they work, but I can taste the oak-which is fine for some meats like brisket or chickens. If you like oak blends, they are a cheap way to go.

It is my understanding that  B&B pellets are rebranded bags of BBQr's Delight product, which many people consider to be a very good brand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky