ABT's Ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I want to do some ABT's this weekend but want something different. Usually do cream cheese and sausage or shrimp wrapped in bacon. I drawing a blank.

Chop up some dates add some of your favorite shredded cheese and a little cream cheese to hold it all together. Definitely wrap in bacon.
or
Chopped steak with fajita seasoning, cheese and bacon wrap.
Or
Taco seasoned beef with rice and wrapped in bacon

Chile Relleno-ish with chorizo
Italian Sausage and some kinda tomato-y red sauce, some rice is good too
Fruit. I like berries (particularly strawberrys) or pineapple. Never tried apples but figure those would be delicious too
Mashed potatoes/loaded or twice baked potato filling

I like chorizo and Mexican cheese blend the best. Many good ideas above. I like the cream cheese fillings but I dont love them. regular shredded cheese is preferred.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Seen this in the deli. Got to looking and there are all kinds of things to use.

Attachments

• 20210515_074901.jpg
    20210515_074901.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
I always thought traditional ABT's had a little smokey sausage stuffed inside. I use the whole jalapeno keeping the stem on and using it for the toothpick. I prebake the peppers to soften slightly, slit and remove
most seeds and membrane. Stuff with choice of cheese ( i like to used my smoked cheese grated) and little smokey sausage. Wrap with thin bacon using the stem to attach bacon at the begining of the wrap and to finish securing. That way each pepper gets a whole slice of bacon! and dont forget your favorite rub on the bacon.

The options are endless, we just use what we like the best & put it in there. I have probably tried 20 different combos. But the one we keep going back to is Hot Italian sausage (ground without the casing mixed with Cabot Seriously sharp cheddar. I mix them up in the Cuisinart & just take a sliver from the jalapeños, just enough to get in there & get most of the seeds & membrane out , then stuff it to the top with the filling & wrap it in bacon. I don’t worry about the IT because I cook the HIT before hand, so when the bacon is done I pull them off. They go quick!
Al

Couldn’t find if I wrote this down anywhere. Basically used canned shredded chicken, cream cheese , shredded cheddar and Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix to taste. Boated then in Jalapeños and wrapped each in full slice of bacon. Really tasty. I did them in this thread but didn’t track ratios. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/babyback-bonanza.307820/
I so bad about not writing things down, The last cauliflower mash I did was so good but don't remember how I did it.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky