ABT's anyone ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

02ebz06

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 1, 2012
Rio Rancho, NM
Get 'em fresh from the Costco freezer.

Frozen ABT's 2024-01-02.jpg

I've tried them, the chilies are a lot softer than I like, but they aren't bad.
They are so easy to make fresh, and living in Mexico north/ Cali. peppers are super cheap at the Mexican markets that have taken over my town.

A few times a year I will par bake some thick cut bacon, buy a bag of Jap's and baby Pablano's, blanch them quickly in salted boiling H2o. Then I let them cool while I shred up some cheese to mix into the cream cheese, then make up a few trays to vacuum seal and freeze.

They go quick this time of year while duck hunting or watching football.
I have to admit, I don't always smoke'um, yeah, you read that correctly. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: crazymoon
So, how much do they cost and how hot are they?
I like my home made version but they take so much time and effort to make and are gone in minutes, I may have to drift on over there..

Interesting... wonder how much they cost. The local Kroger has them everyday fresh made but too rich for my blood. $4-5/lb if I recall. Hafta check the price next time I swing thru.

Heresy I tell you! 😁

Factory made and frozen can never be close to homemade, which, I'm sure never includes 'ingredients' whose names we can't pronounce.

Reactions: pc farmer
I don't recall the price, I was just astonished that they were even sold.
And when I went to the grocery store next day, they had fresh ones in the meat case.
Jalapenos were whole, stuffed, and wrapped.

FYI - I didn't buy any, so have no idea what they are like.
Would rather make my own.

Last edited:
Our grocery stores have fresh ABT's for $9.99 a pound if I remember correctly. I get them on occasion but homemade using Jeff's recipe are much tastier.

Reactions: Colin1230
Wow, with that much sodium they must taste great! But definitely a hard pass. The wife and I are on blood pressure meds. Thanks for checking that out N Nefarious .

Reactions: Nefarious
With the influx of so many Latinos this may be the norm in our future. . .Maybe not so much of a bad thing I hope.
With a good medical university near by, we have nothing but new noodle shops, Pho places and Asian markets moving in...I can think of worse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky