ABT’S , I’ve never seen them done this way before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
So the neighbors were coming over for Memorial Day & requested ABT’S. So I wanted to try something new that just came to me while I was walking early in the morning. I started by carving out a piece so the jap looked like a canoe. The reason I did it this way was because the japs were too big to stand up in my holder, & every time I make a boat & wrap it in bacon, a lot of the cheese leaks out. So hence a new approach!
IMG_1560.jpeg

Next it got filled with a combo of hot Italian sausage & Cabot seriously sharp cheddar.
IMG_1561.jpeg

Now the cool part, the top goes back on.
IMG_1563.jpeg

Next the bacon wrap.
IMG_1564.jpeg

I also did a pork roast & some beans.
IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

Into the RT on extreme smoke.
IMG_1568.jpeg

The ABT’S are done, but the roast needs a bit more time.
IMG_1570.jpeg

So we just started snacking on the ABT’S.
IMG_1571.jpeg

Notice the dog, he is a 150# Great Dane and he is definitely eyeing that ABT!
IMG_1572.jpeg

I accomplished what I set out to do, and that was to keep the filling in the ABT’S & it worked.
IMG_1574.jpeg

The pork was tender & juicy, I let it get away from me, & took the IT to 150, but it was still oozing juice.
IMG_1575.jpeg

The beans weren’t too shabby either. All in all we had a great Memorial Day.
Good food, good friends & plenty of adult beverages!
Thanks for stopping by folks!!
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpeg
    IMG_1562.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 12
Thats a great approach on ABTs. I'm gonna have to give it a try. And I'd be right next to the Dane eyeing that last one.

Jim

Reactions: SmokinAl
Love those things. They look great. I was going to do armadillo eggs until I realized how much sausage it was going to take to wrap those big jalapenos. Might do yours.

Great looking meal Al! Love the way you did your abt's! Good thing the Dane didn't start drooling over that last one!

Ryan

Absolutely genius Al!! What a great way to do the ABT's. It all looks great but those babies stole the show from my perspective. Needless to say, I'll be ripping this off from you :emoji_laughing: Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Looks excellent Al. Cool way of doing ABT's
Thank you Sir, love to try new ideas!
Al
Thats a great approach on ABTs. I'm gonna have to give it a try. And I'd be right next to the Dane eyeing that last one.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I wish I could have took a photo of him with his chin resting on the table looking at that ABT!
Al
Great meal, and great idea on the ABT's.
Will have to try that.
Thank you Sir!
Al
That is the same way I do ABTs except I dont put the top back on. I like it a lot better than keeping them whole with the top cut off. It is faster and also easier to add fun surprises inside like a shrimp or piece of sausage.
I totally agree, when they are big like these I always did the boat, but lost a lot of cheese while cooking. So hence putting the top back on!
Al
Some good looking food Al, the way you did those abts is pretty cool! They look a lot nicer too.
Thank you my friend!
Al
Glad to see the Bug-A-Salt on the table protecting that fine looking meal!
Thanks Eddie, wouldn’t smoke without it!
Al
I’m a boater but very cool idea! May have to try it sometime. All the food looks awesome Al!
Thanks J, you can really overstuff them with the top back on it all stays inside
Love those things. They look great. I was going to do armadillo eggs until I realized how much sausage it was going to take to wrap those big jalapenos. Might do yours.
Thanks Brian, I think you will like them if you give it a try!
Al
Great looking meal Al! Love the way you did your abt's! Good thing the Dane didn't start drooling over that last one!

Ryan
Ha Ha, thanks Ryan. I already wiped the drool off the table before I took the photo! He is a big boy!
Al
Absolutely genius Al!! What a great way to do the ABT's. It all looks great but those babies stole the show from my perspective. Needless to say, I'll be ripping this off from you :emoji_laughing: Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Thanks Robert, I’m sure you will do something spectacular with them!
Al

Reactions: jcam222
Love it Al! I like your thinking and now I'm craving a morning plate of them. That pork looks pretty good to..... not your average pork and beans from a can!

Al, Nice looking ABT's and pork, looks like you and your guests ate well !
Thanks CM, we did eat well & had a great time!
Al
Everything looks great Al
The colour on the pork roast is fantastic , I could gobble that right up and chase it with a couple of your ABT's

David
Thanks David, it went pretty fast, there weren’t to many leftovers!
Al
Looks good Al. And that is a genius idea to keep everything together. Thanks!
Thank you, it’s funny how these ideas just pop into your head!
Al
So doing this AL, sounds like a great weekend!
Thanks Cliff, hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Al
Looks and sounds like a good time. I like your approach on the ABT's.
Thank you Sir!!
Al
Love it Al! I like your thinking and now I'm craving a morning plate of them. That pork looks pretty good too..... not your average pork and beans from a can!
Thanks civil,
Yes the pork & beans came out really good too, I should have taken more photo’s, but was concentrating on the ABT’S, and wasn’t thinking too clearly by the time the roast was done! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky