Absorption of Nitrites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skandic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Hi,

I am a newcomer to nitrites but I do understand that they are dangerous if used carelessly. I am a hands on kind of guy, i like to rub in spices into my meat with my bare hands instead of using gloves. I was rubbing pork belly the other day to make my first bacon and after I was done I washed my hands and wondered if any nitrites were absorbed through my skin. The amount I was using was very small, but it still makes me wonder and I am sure there are members out in the SMF community that do the same with larger quantities. There is nothing on the manufacturers directions to use personal protective equipment when using nitrites and I do not recall seeing anything about it.

I apologize if this was discussed or debated before but I think it is a valid concern.

In Solidarity,

Skandic

Well if you look at the amount of time needed to cure a hunk of meat, I'd say your fine. Especially since you will be consuming the product containing the cure. I used to do the food prep bare hands, but I have found I prefer to use nitrale gloves. Cheap by the box at Harbor freight. I use them when I build wood boats and I am dealing with epoxy. Put them on wash like you normally would before food prep and go.

If he more concerned about not getting all the cure in the meat than in my hands.

I use my bare hands and I cure alot.

No worries from me.

Okay,

Thanks for your responses, points well taken brothers/sisters. For my personal piece of mind, i will probably wear nitrile gloves when dealing with nitrites - i need my fingers to do my job.

In Solidarity,

Skandic

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky