A5 Wagyu boneless Ribeye - tips on cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Was gifted this beautiful piece of meat.

I am not planning on smoking and requesting any cooking tips. I am leaning towards seasoning with just salt 2 hours before cooking. Making the cast iron extremely hot, using a little beef fat to greese the pan. Slicing thin and the Pan frying with testing various times per side

Would anyone approach any differently? Any suggestions on how thin to slice here? Was thinking 8-10mm (slicer cannot go thinner then 0.5mm

It's 17 oz in the package so hoping we get two servings for dinner and have a little steal + eggs new year's day.

Any side suggestions

Attachments

• 0967BD2A-E147-40CA-828E-F57AF8C611AD.jpeg
    0967BD2A-E147-40CA-828E-F57AF8C611AD.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 053EAC4D-A907-4B1D-9BD3-014EC78636C6.jpeg
    053EAC4D-A907-4B1D-9BD3-014EC78636C6.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 33
I don't know about smoking, but take a look at Teppanyaki on Youtube to see how the Japanese grill it.
Definitely do not put it over open flame.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I’m not quite sure what you want to do by slicing it.... I would keep it whole. If you’re set on the cast iron have butter garlic and thyme ready, toss in the pan after the flip and start basting to desired internal temp -10deg F so it comes to temp during rest.

Don't slice it until it's cooked.

This is how I do ribeye in a cast iron skillet. Times are extremely approximate, because every piece of meat is different.

Salt a few hours before you cook it. Give it enough time to draw moisture out and then let it suck the moisture back in. The steak should have a dry look to it. If it's on the counter the whole time, it might lake longer than what some might consider safe. Use your own discretion.

Put your best cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat everything to 500.

Coat the steak in the thinnest possible amount of olive oil that you can manage. Take the skillet from the oven and put it on a burner on high.

Drop the steak on the skillet. It's going to smoke. A lot. Flip it when the first side is golden brown. Nothing should black. Maybe 2-3 minutes.

Once it's flipped, put the skillet back into the preheated oven for 3-5 minutes. While it's in the oven, smash, but don't chop a clove of garlic.

Pull the skillet and steak and throw in a tablespoon of butter and the crushed garlic. Just baste, flip, and rest.

Reactions: bauchjw
Don't slice it until it's cooked.

This is how I do ribeye in a cast iron skillet. Times are extremely approximate, because every piece of meat is different.

Salt a few hours before you cook it. Give it enough time to draw moisture out and then let it suck the moisture back in. The steak should have a dry look to it. If it's on the counter the whole time, it might lake longer than what some might consider safe. Use your own discretion.

Put your best cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat everything to 500.

Coat the steak in the thinnest possible amount of olive oil that you can manage. Take the skillet from the oven and put it on a burner on high.

Drop the steak on the skillet. It's going to smoke. A lot. Flip it when the first side is golden brown. Nothing should black. Maybe 2-3 minutes.

Once it's flipped, put the skillet back into the preheated oven for 3-5 minutes. While it's in the oven, smash, but don't chop a clove of garlic.

Pull the skillet and steak and throw in a tablespoon of butter and the crushed garlic. Just baste, flip, and rest.
Did/do you work in a steak house?

I am leaning towards cutting the ribeye into thirds

1. cut into thin slices. I will freeze for 20-30 mins to firm up and then run thru meat slicer (7mm target) See 4:30 mark: . Will pan fry to try various levels of doneness. May break out a torch if we like the rarer side

2. cut into 1x1x3 strips:

3. leave the third whole. I will have this one for breakfast the next day either cooked as a regular steak or whatever the fav from the night before was.

Going to go cast iron for heat retention. I am not adding any oil as the fat should render instantly to prevent any sticking.

The slices will be served on rice with a su vide egg yolk to dip into. Mini salad between rounds of meat and the strips will have shrooms with

Reactions: jcam222
Sous Vide, then sear with a torch. Save the rendered fat from the SV bag and put it in a pan on low to cook out the water/moisture, for an hour. And you'll have the best tallow in the world for sautéing shrooms, veggies, tatoes or pan frying meat.

Reactions: crippledcracker
The A5 lived up to the hype. Was very beefy in flavor, cut with a butter knife and a nice experience for a new years eve/day inside.

Tips for others:
  1. I love my beef rare. You need to cook this more to get all the fat to render. however, there is a fine line where you can see the meat just shrink as all the fat liquified.
  2. It came to 16.39 ounces out of the package which turned into three feedings for two people. I think I would be ill if we made it into two feedings
  3. For the cost, you may be better off getting a strip as I have a decent amount of fat. Yes, the fat is f'ing delicious with whatever is cooked in it. But if I was buying, I may get a strip to focus on the meat with less fat cap. I froze a few chunks of fat for future veggie dishes
  4. We could not get enough of the sous vide egg yolks to dip in. The other sides such as onions didnt enhance the meal at all. The rice was nice if you wanted a break from the beef. Ensure the steak is the focal point of your meal.
  5. We preferred eating strips over the cubes. both could get a good crust. We did not cook any like a regular streak.
  6. Meat slicer was not needed. honestly if kept outside of the fridge, the meat started to come apart. I would recommend going straight from fridge to cooking with no rest period pre cook.
This is the only photo I have precooked of 5oz, onions, fat cap and the sous vide eggs. I'll see if we have others.

IMG_9608.jpg

Dang, that looks like the most delicious kind of intense! A 1%er meal for a new year! Thank you for sharing, that will be a very special meal to remember.
Happy New Year!

Reactions: phatbac
The A5 lived up to the hype. Was very beefy in flavor, cut with a butter knife and a nice experience for a new years eve/day inside.

Tips for others:
  1. I love my beef rare. You need to cook this more to get all the fat to render. however, there is a fine line where you can see the meat just shrink as all the fat liquified.
  2. It came to 16.39 ounces out of the package which turned into three feedings for two people. I think I would be ill if we made it into two feedings
  3. For the cost, you may be better off getting a strip as I have a decent amount of fat. Yes, the fat is f'ing delicious with whatever is cooked in it. But if I was buying, I may get a strip to focus on the meat with less fat cap. I froze a few chunks of fat for future veggie dishes
  4. We could not get enough of the sous vide egg yolks to dip in. The other sides such as onions didnt enhance the meal at all. The rice was nice if you wanted a break from the beef. Ensure the steak is the focal point of your meal.
  5. We preferred eating strips over the cubes. both could get a good crust. We did not cook any like a regular streak.
  6. Meat slicer was not needed. honestly if kept outside of the fridge, the meat started to come apart. I would recommend going straight from fridge to cooking with no rest period pre cook.
This is the only photo I have precooked of 5oz, onions, fat cap and the sous vide eggs. I'll see if we have others.

View attachment 520916
I think you nailed it. From everything I’ve read I think this was the optimum way to enjoy this A5 beef.

I think 17oz will be enough for 3 servings. Any more than that and I could see someone not even being able to get out of their chair before crapping their pants. Awesome piece of meat!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky