A tri tip smokes in PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Xray I will give you two thumbs up from the left coast. I love my meat on the rare side so that looks perfect to me. Iver never actually seared one from the smoker before. Do you just prefer a bit of crust on your beef? I guess I don't think of tri tip like steak or burgers which of course I would sear as it cooks. I doubt that you will be able to make that much better but if you do like it a bit more done then once you are just about to 140 would be the time to pull it. It would be just a bit less pink but still really juicy and delicious. Man I love this forum.

George

Xray I will give you two thumbs up from the left coast. I love my meat on the rare side so that looks perfect to me. Iver never actually seared one from the smoker before. Do you just prefer a bit of crust on your beef? I guess I don't think of tri tip like steak or burgers which of course I would sear as it cooks. I doubt that you will be able to make that much better but if you do like it a bit more done then once you are just about to 140 would be the time to pull it. It would be just a bit less pink but still really juicy and delicious. Man I love this forum.

George

Thanks for the thumbs up George. I always liked a nice crust on my steak. Our brains love salt and crunch.

As for taste? I think I just like to make it look pretty. Steaks coming out of a SV bag look a little gross to me.

As for the tri tip. It didn’t spend much time in the smoker so I figured I’d give it a nice sear. If it smoked for longer or if the pit temp was higher, I might have made the decision to keep it that way.

Here’s what it looked like right out of the smoker before searing.
5EB9EC14-6EC2-478E-8255-F153F6C207C4.jpeg

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky