a pizza I made last Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I do a batch of pizzas every Sunday, this was the last one. 16" NY style, 5.5 minutes in a Halo Versa 16. Battistoni cup and char pepperoni. LMPS Mozz (all I had left) & bootleg American "Parmesan" I usually use Grana Padano, but am out of that too and this is all I had. Was thin and light.

It came out tasty, the crust was crispy and had a nice chew. Needed more Pepperoni, but this was all I had left that's not in the freezer #1STWORLDPROBLEMS

16pizza.jpg

Killer looking pie!!!
I use to make sourdough pizza two nights a week then I went on a low carb kick. I lost 75 lbs, then decided low carb wasn't healthy for me. I started eating real food again about 7 months ago. Sure I put a few pounds back on 15 lbs to be exact, but I feel much better eating real food again.
I need to get my sourdough starter rolling again, I have it in the freezer. I want to start making pizza once a week.

Your pizza looks prefect to me, I can't stand over topped American style pies after making my own .

The doneness of your pie is just how I like them.

Great job, I bet it was killer.

What brand of pepperoni do you use?

Dan.

Reactions: Bigheaded
Good lookin' pizza!!!
Halo is a nice oven.
I have the Pizza Party Emozione.
Used to use Ezzo Pepperoni until I started making my own.

I do a batch of pizzas every Sunday, this was the last one. 16" NY style, 5.5 minutes in a Halo Versa 16. Battistoni cup and char pepperoni. LMPS Mozz (all I had left) & bootleg American "Parmesan" I usually use Grana Padano, but am out of that too and this is all I had. Was thin and light.

It came out tasty, the crust was crispy and had a nice chew. Needed more Pepperoni, but this was all I had left that's not in the freezer #1STWORLDPROBLEMS

View attachment 679416
love pepperoni cups. all looks great

Killer looking pie!!!
I use to make sourdough pizza two nights a week then I went on a low carb kick. I lost 75 lbs, then decided low carb wasn't healthy for me. I started eating real food again about 7 months ago. Sure I put a few pounds back on 15 lbs to be exact, but I feel much better eating real food again.
I need to get my sourdough starter rolling again, I have it in the freezer. I want to start making pizza once a week.

Your pizza looks prefect to me, I can't stand over topped American style pies after making my own .

The doneness of your pie is just how I like them.

Great job, I bet it was killer.

What brand of pepperoni do you use?

Dan.

Battistoni spicy cup and char, not what I'd call spicy but it definitely has some spice and a kick that a lot of pepperoni's I've tried don't.

Reactions: forktender
Looks fantastic!! I love my cheese brownies like that. The cupped pepperoni remind me of the little pizza house in our hometown growing up.

Looks fantastic!! I love my cheese brownies like that. The cupped pepperoni remind me of the little pizza house in our hometown growing up.

Thanks, the only reason the cheese browned like that was because I ran out of the whole milk I normally use so I used some part skim mozz. I like how it looks better too, but I think the whole milk tastes better. I know visually a lot of people wouldn't it just off thinking it's burnt when they saw it.

Reactions: jcam222
Nice looking Pie! What brand oven do you have? I have had an Ooni for a few years. I have the cooking down well, but I struggle with the dough and crust, but I keep getting better.

Jason

View attachment 679416
Being from lower NY (IE former Brooklynite pizza parlor owner in every other shopping center) I was going to ask what you thought what a NY style pizza is? BUT looking at your pic YOU NAILED IT!!!! Great job!

Nice looking Pie! What brand oven do you have? I have had an Ooni for a few years. I have the cooking down well, but I struggle with the dough and crust, but I keep getting better.

Jason

Halo Versa 16, I've had 2 Ooni's and a Gozney Roccbox. I've tried about everything for making dough. I do my dough by hand now and it comes out great. Do you have a scale? Without a scale I don't think you'll ever get it down. I have a KitchenAid one that has a .01g scale too so I can be accurate for my yeast. What style of pizza do you make? And what struggles do you have with the dough and crust? My dough making techniques still seem kinda iffy at times, but I make 6-10 pizzas a week now and *knock on wood* don't remember the last time I had to toss one. I have my process down to where I don't even use an IR gun or check the bottom when it comes out. The Versa with the rotating pizza stone is really awesome.

Being from lower NY (IE former Brooklynite pizza parlor owner in every other shopping center) I was going to ask what you thought what a NY style pizza is? BUT looking at your pic YOU NAILED IT!!!! Great job!

Wow thank you, that means a lot. I think, at least to me that pizza still had a bit too much cornicione. The closest thing I've had to NY pizza is a place in San Diego called Bronx Pizza, everyone working there is from from NY. Their slices have barely any outer crust. My city doesn't really have any good pizza spots, so the people I'm selling pizzas to think I'm some sort of pizza genius. 1 of my regulars is a guy who was born in NY but moved here when he was like 14, he's 55'ish now. He claims it's not as good as the pizza he ate back home 40 years ago but it's the best he's had out here.

I've never been to NY but I do a ton of research on the pizzerias out there and will try any copycat sauce or dough recipe I come across. I just started using Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes with basil, and those are really good. I definitely need to take a trip, I want to try a bunch of NY pizza spots, and I'm dying to try a Jersey Tomato Pie. I like NY style a lot more than a traditional Neapolitian. I'll eat one, but if I had my choice NY is super good. I'm sure you've had some great Silician pizza in NY, another style that's really good.

Here's a pic when I was trying to make NY slices, I don't have an oven anywhere close to big enough to do a 20" pizza to cut into big slices, so I just made single big slices. These IMHO came out really good. The outer crust was smaller and had almost no poof to it. I think that's close to how a NY slice should look. That's a 14" pizza box for reference.

slice.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: clifish
18" is the norm by me, The NJ tomatoes are as close to San Marzano as you will find. There is something about the water here that makes good dough and especially bagels. I love a good thick Sicilian pie called a "square" in Brooklyn. Now mind you I am 45 minutes away from NYC on Long Island but there is a "transplant" pizza joint in almost every shopping centers.

I would eat pizza all the time if not for the damn diabetes. I need to try and make my own dough again, have the scale and the kitchen aide. My biggest problem with the dough (even bought right from the pizzeria) is I never get a good stretch. It keeps pulling back.

Below is a pie I got locally that is almost a cross between a regular and a Sicilian, man was that good. Yes that is pineapple on the left half...lol
deep dish.JPG

Halo Versa 16, I've had 2 Ooni's and a Gozney Roccbox. I've tried about everything for making dough. I do my dough by hand now and it comes out great. Do you have a scale? Without a scale I don't think you'll ever get it down. I have a KitchenAid one that has a .01g scale too so I can be accurate for my yeast. What style of pizza do you make? And what struggles do you have with the dough and crust? My dough making techniques still seem kinda iffy at times, but I make 6-10 pizzas a week now and *knock on wood* don't remember the last time I had to toss one. I have my process down to where I don't even use an IR gun or check the bottom when it comes out. The Versa with the rotating pizza stone is really awesome.

Wow thank you, that means a lot. I think, at least to me that pizza still had a bit too much cornicione. The closest thing I've had to NY pizza is a place in San Diego called Bronx Pizza, everyone working there is from from NY. Their slices have barely any outer crust. My city doesn't really have any good pizza spots, so the people I'm selling pizzas to think I'm some sort of pizza genius. 1 of my regulars is a guy who was born in NY but moved here when he was like 14, he's 55'ish now. He claims it's not as good as the pizza he ate back home 40 years ago but it's the best he's had out here.

I've never been to NY but I do a ton of research on the pizzerias out there and will try any copycat sauce or dough recipe I come across. I just started using Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes with basil, and those are really good. I definitely need to take a trip, I want to try a bunch of NY pizza spots, and I'm dying to try a Jersey Tomato Pie. I like NY style a lot more than a traditional Neapolitian. I'll eat one, but if I had my choice NY is super good. I'm sure you've had some great Silician pizza in NY, another style that's really good.

Here's a pic when I was trying to make NY slices, I don't have an oven anywhere close to big enough to do a 20" pizza to cut into big slices, so I just made single big slices. These IMHO came out really good. The outer crust was smaller and had almost no poof to it. I think that's close to how a NY slice should look. That's a 14" pizza box for reference.

View attachment 679463

Thanks for responding, I have a scale, my biggest issue with making down is getting it to stretch out, after I toss it, it "pulls back" and thickens.

Jason

Reactions: clifish
Battistoni spicy cup and char, not what I'd call spicy but it definitely has some spice and a kick that a lot of pepperoni's I've tried don't.
I'm going to have to order some up. Good pepperoni is hard to come by out here in CA.
Unless you order 20 lbs or more, it's not worth the shipping.

Thank you.
Dan.

I'm going to have to order some up. Good pepperoni is hard to come by out here in CA.
Unless you order 20 lbs or more, it's not worth the shipping.

Thank you.
Dan.

Well Amazon has been out of the 5lb bags for months and it costs more on their website + you gotta pay for shipping so it works out to be a good bit more pricey directly from them. 5lb is a ton for a normal person, but the small 5oz bags are crazy expensive. As much as I like it, no way in hell I'm paying $10 for 5oz of 'Roni lol. I'm going to call them Monday and see if they plan to start selling the 5lb bags on Amazon again. It freezes great and that's a pretty good deal. But a small bag to test is always a good idea.

Dunno where you're at in Cali, but Albertson's & Vons here carry Dietz & Watson sticks, I like it a lot, and I think it's on par with Boar's Head, maybe a bit better. And it's like $6.50 for 12oz so it's not expensive. And at least in my area, Walmart sells Margherita pepperoni which I really like. The sticks are like $5 for 8oz. They have 1lb bags for $8, but it's cracker cut which to me is way too thick for pizza, but I love how it tastes. The sticks for both brands cup and char nicely.

Boar's Head sticks are good, their bagged stuff oddly enough seems to be totally different, at least to me. It's not bad, I like it but not nearly as much. The sticks are great, and easy to find here but are super pricey compared to the Dietz & Watson & Margherita. Also restaurant Depot's are open to the public for the time being. You'd have to buy 5lb minimum. But they'll have 3 or 4 different Roni's and you'll save $$$. I loosely vacuum seal it and it stays perfect in the freezer for a long time. But, unless you make pizzas every week 5lb might be too much.

If you're up north Safeway would probably have Dietz & Watson, if you haven't tried it, that's legit stuff. I've probably gone thru 100 sticks of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky