A new project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Brought home a new project today, been sitting in a shed unused for probably 20 years. Have the table top, sliding piece, just not in the pics.

20200201_161944.jpg

20200201_162048.jpg

20200201_161957.jpg

20200201_163352.jpg

20200201_163900.jpg

Everything turns, couple of the rollers for the blade are kinda rough so will get replaced. New cord and switch for sure. Previous owner thinks he has blades for it but couldn't find them today. And the best part of all it was free.
Looked for just a little info on it when I got it home without much luck. If anyone has any info or history about this I sure would appreciate it

Thanks for looking
Ryan

That would be a good excuse to buy a hobby sand blaster, with fine sand it will clean up really well, then some epoxy paint will protect it from now on.

Looks like a great project post up some pics along the way while restoring it

I agree with Piney!
That looks like a fun project & you will have a real nice meat saw when you are done!
Al

WOW!! I could have used that a couple weeks ago...in working condition of course :emoji_wink: Great find Ryan and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
That would be a good excuse to buy a hobby sand blaster, with fine sand it will clean up really well, then some epoxy paint will protect it from now on.
I like how you think! Was kinda thinking of the same thing lol

Ryan

Looks like a great project post up some pics along the way while restoring it
Thanks will do. Hopefully get a chance to get some things done on it before spring rolls around and get busy planting

Ryan

I agree with Piney!
That looks like a fun project & you will have a real nice meat saw when you are done!
Al
Thanks al! Was always gonna ask what year your mustang is, have heard you talk about it just never heard what year it was. Seem to have a 73 mustang sitting not far away from the saw in the process of being restored

Ryan

WOW!! I could have used that a couple weeks ago...in working condition of course :emoji_wink: Great find Ryan and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Robert
Thanks robert, I could actually use it now. We do our own deer processing and have about 80 lbs of trim to grind for burger. But it's all froze in gallon ziploc bags at the moment. We don't usually buy much hamburger from the store. Want to repaint it but definitely want to keep emblem so have to do some thinking on it

Ryan

That should be a fun job!!
Get it nice & clean and see what parts it needs.
The hardest thing is usually getting the blade to track properly.
I'm not sure about Meat saws, but wood Bandsaws need the upper wheel to be nice & clean, and then the tilt adjustment is on the back. Could also need a new tire on the upper wheel.
Could end up a Great Saw!!!

Bear

Thanks bear, and I hope so! Even tho it has sat for years the first thing I did after getting it home was checked to see what moved and what was rusted solid. To my surprise everything moved, especially every thing for adjusting the blade. Was worried about them being stuck and snapping screws off and all that would involve

Ryan

Thanks bear, and I hope so! Even tho it has sat for years the first thing I did after getting it home was checked to see what moved and what was rusted solid. To my surprise everything moved, especially every thing for adjusting the blade. Was worried about them being stuck and snapping screws off and all that would involve

Ryan

I know with a wood bandsaw, if you cut a lot of Pine, the pine tar gets caked on the upper Wheel & tire, and can cause a problem with blade tracking.
I don't know about meat bandsaws, but the upper tire could Dry Rot from sitting for years.

Bear

Brought home a new project today, been sitting in a shed unused for probably 20 years. Have the table top, sliding piece, just not in the pics.

View attachment 430749

View attachment 430750

View attachment 430751

View attachment 430755

View attachment 430756

Everything turns, couple of the rollers for the blade are kinda rough so will get replaced. New cord and switch for sure. Previous owner thinks he has blades for it but couldn't find them today. And the best part of all it was free.
Looked for just a little info on it when I got it home without much luck. If anyone has any info or history about this I sure would appreciate it

Thanks for looking
Ryan
Have one similar though my blade assembly is turned 90 degrees from yours. I picked up for 100. The only problem with it had a 440v motor. Just happened to have a 220 same size...bada boom badda bang...not sure where I got the blades will see if I can find link. Use pam of something in blade chamber before cutting meat, helps with clean up. Little pressure washing would probably work in you clean up not sure i would repaint but guess it would not hurt.
kit

I know with a wood bandsaw, if you cut a lot of Pine, the pine tar gets caked on the upper Wheel & tire, and can cause a problem with blade tracking.
I don't know about meat bandsaws, but the upper tire could Dry Rot from sitting for years.

Bear
Know what you mean bear, have noticed that even on circular saw blades. But no rubber parts on this, upper and lower pulleys are both steel.

Ryan

Have one similar though my blade assembly is turned 90 degrees from yours. I picked up for 100. The only problem with it had a 440v motor. Just happened to have a 220 same size...bada boom badda bang...not sure where I got the blades will see if I can find link. Use pam of something in blade chamber before cutting meat, helps with clean up. Little pressure washing would probably work in you clean up not sure i would repaint but guess it would not hurt.
kit
Thanks kit, appreciate any helpful tips I can get. I do have some food grade silicone was thinking of using on blade for sure. Think it would work good for same idea as your pam to aid in clean up? Blade tips are also welcome, even tho previous owner thinks he has some and his ex wife, both friends of ours, that's what happens when you organize the garage...can't find a dang thing!

Ryan

Harbor freight have some nice little sand blasters that work really well and won't break the bank. An ex coworker had one I borrowed.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nice fine and the price was right. Should be a nice unit once refurnished.

Warren
Thanks Warren, and thanks for the like I appreciate it. A good cleaning and blade so can get everything in good working order then the paint work, maybe...will not lose the decal so have to put some thought into it.

Ryan

Harbor freight have some nice little sand blasters that work really well and won't break the bank. An ex coworker had one I borrowed.
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky