A-Maze-N Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoker21

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Missouri
I have a MES 40 and am interested in makin' bacon+

Is the A-MAZE-N Smoker the best and if so why?

Chip or pellet??

What size do you guys recommend???

5X8, 6X8, 5X5, the tube etc...

Do I need a torch to light it????

Is there any other outlet where I can buy one new/used?????

Any other info will be greatly appreciated!

JD

Last edited:
I love my AMNPS for cold smoking bacon. It will burn up to 12 hours.
I have only used pellet in it.
Talk to Todd for the right size for your smoker.
I use "weber lighter cubes " to start mine.

I too just pulled the plug an ordered a AMNS 6X8 and was wondering if anyone has opinions on who's pellets are the best.  Amazon has a few brands including BBQr's delight.

Thanks

JD

AMNS 6x6, AMNS 6x8 or the AMNPS 5x8 will work great for cols smoking in your MES 40

The AMNS 6x6 and 6x8 burn sawdust only, and work up to 180° or so

The AMNPS 5x8 burns pellets or sawdust and can smoke all the way up to 275°+

I've got dealers throughout the U.S., where do you live?

I stock 100% flavor wood pellets, unless stated otherwise.

Some pellets are 70% - 80% oak or alder and only 20% - 30% flavor wood.

In other words, my apple pellets are 100% apple, no filler wood added.

TJ

Last edited:
I to am going to get me an AMNPS. It's exactly what I'm looking for, for cold smoking.

I was in Cash & Carry here in northern California the other day. They sell pellets in most woods. They have Bear Mountain pellets for $9.97 for a 20# bag. Never tried pellets before. Always used chips.

I have a propane Smokey Mountain Smoker that I bought at Walmart years ago, Always served me well. Only problem I've ever had with its consistent temp so I have to keep a close eye on it. I put some sacramento cut ribs on. Filled the chip box with Bear Mountain Apple pellets.

It holds about 2 cups of pellets. Put the box in it's tray right above the fire ring. Got me a nice TBS going and put on the ribs at 220-230. 30minutes later the pellets were burned up. Thought they would last longer.Could it be the cheap chips or the fact the chip box sits right above the fire ring? Thinking about the AMNPS Sitting on the bottom cook rack (6-8 inches above fire ring) and getting the smoke that way. I don't think the pellets should burn that fast.Anyone had this problem?

The AMNPS has not had good results inside of propane smokers, not enough O2 to keep them burning but the AMNTS has been getting good reviews inside propane smokers so you might want to look into it instead.

The AMNPS has not had good results inside of propane smokers, not enough O2 to keep them burning but the AMNTS has been getting good reviews inside propane smokers so you might want to look into it instead.
you are corect S2K9K. the AMNPS struggled a bit in my smaller brinkman porpane smoker, but since I have the version with a water/wood pan door, I was able to crack open that lower door and get more air in; problem solved.

My larger Landmann GWLA propane smoker has two vents along the bottom sides, and those helped make for some great TBS with the AMNPS. It worked great in there. Bottom line is, the AMNPS needs to be able to breath!

Thanks guys for your input but that really wasn't my question. I don't have any problem keeping my pellets burning. Quite the contrary. They burn up in 30 mins.I'm wondering if I move them up away from the fire ring, will that keep them from burning up so quick. Or maybe the cheap pellets I bought are the problem?

Might reread my original post.
439.gif

The AMNPS can't be near your heat source.  It's designed to slow burn the pellets in 10-12 hours but if you have them too close to your heat source the pellets will burn just like wood chips.  I have a MES40 electric and I put it on a higher rack on the other side from the heating element and it works pretty well!

Hope this answers your question.

JD

Hey Todd and others in this thread,

I just bought and A-Maze-N smoker that uses the dust and got the pitmaster 4lb bag.  Right now, my smoker consists of an old oil tank that has been cleaned and used several times already (see my avatar for an earlier pic), and an old wood stove connected to the side.  This is basically a hot smoker.  My plan was to just use the A-Maze-N smoker alone inside the tank, with my virginia-style dry cured ham inside there.  

Question is:  If it's like 40 degrees or so out or maybe even a bit colder, since I am in new england, will the temp generated by the AMN smoker be enough to cold smoke the ham, or would the temps still be too low for a good cold smoke?  This is a standard 275 gallon oil tank, so a pretty large space.  I may try to get some pork bellies and do some bacon at the same time in there since the cavity is so large.  Just wondering if the temp is too low, does it make the cold smoke process ineffective?  Obvs it would need to be and would be above freezing, and there is heat generated from the slow burn of the sawdust, but how much heat will be there in order to overcome the outdoor temps?

Thanks S2K9K. Now, Where would I find a smaller fire ring? Could I just go to a smaller regulator? Finally, Is there a book out there on cold smoking?

The reason I ask about the regulator is that I had a propane heater that kicked out 185,000 btu's. I hooked it up to my 3 burner camp stove for cooking blacken fish! Scared the cr@p out of anyone around! lol. Sure makes some great blacken fish.

Hey Todd and others in this thread,

I just bought and A-Maze-N smoker that uses the dust and got the pitmaster 4lb bag.  Right now, my smoker consists of an old oil tank that has been cleaned and used several times already (see my avatar for an earlier pic), and an old wood stove connected to the side.  This is basically a hot smoker.  My plan was to just use the A-Maze-N smoker alone inside the tank, with my virginia-style dry cured ham inside there.  

Question is:  If it's like 40 degrees or so out or maybe even a bit colder, since I am in new england, will the temp generated by the AMN smoker be enough to cold smoke the ham, or would the temps still be too low for a good cold smoke?  This is a standard 275 gallon oil tank, so a pretty large space.  I may try to get some pork bellies and do some bacon at the same time in there since the cavity is so large.  Just wondering if the temp is too low, does it make the cold smoke process ineffective?  Obvs it would need to be and would be above freezing, and there is heat generated from the slow burn of the sawdust, but how much heat will be there in order to overcome the outdoor temps?
The Dust will generate next to Zero Heat as it burns and the Pellets will raise the internal temp only a few degrees in a smoker that size. As long as the meat is not frozen you can Cold smoke...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky