A-Maze-N pellet tray ignition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtbrewing100

Original poster
Jan 1, 2022
Hello,
I am using the pellet tray in my Weber Smokey Mountain and the last couple of cold smokes, I've had an issue with it completely combusting about 1/2 way through. Is it just a matter of closing down some bottom vents? Or, is there something else i can do to help prevent it. It's a great product BTW.
TIA,
John

Greetings John,
I've been using the tray for years, but got it for my old MES40 and haven't used WSM. That being said, when I have a full combustion it has been because I was too aggressive filling it up and I didn't make sure the "cherry" was all cherry before closing the lid, in a rush and expecting less oxygen to do the rest of the work to extinguish remaining flame. Make sure it isn't over filled and you have a good ten minutes going on your cherry, no flame. You might try cutting off some oxygen to see what works best for you, but since modifying my Traeger to seal the CC better the tray isn't getting enough oxygen to stay going. The cherry needs oxygen to keep producing so be warry of going in the other direction. Like all else, it takes some tinkering. I'm sure there will be more informed and scientific advice along soon, A-Maz-N has been an intricate part of this forum for a while.

Hello,
I am using the pellet tray in my Weber Smokey Mountain and the last couple of cold smokes, I've had an issue with it completely combusting about 1/2 way through. Is it just a matter of closing down some bottom vents? Or, is there something else i can do to help prevent it. It's a great product BTW.
TIA,
John
I had trouble with my tray to begin with, I'd pack it full and it would want go out on me so I would re-light and open my vents more. Everything seemed good but twice it ignited and got my s.s. way hot. It was from the pellets being wet(read that on this site) and with the vent being opened more they ignited once they dried. Now I dry in the microwave, pack my tray so it can't cross over, light and let burn till I get some embers blow out and give it just enough air so I can see the ember. It takes practice and messing around. I have zero problems now. You have to be able to limit the air so it smolders. Great product, best tbs out of it

Good advice above, also I would try closing vents a little ,you could also try tenting the tray with some tinfoil but leave some room for air movement.
The tin foil seems like a great option. Im very careful not to overfill it.

Reactions: ramatack
Thank you all for the help. Still trying to dial it in. I’ve converted my WSM to electric and an Auber controller. It holds the temp perfectly

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky