A-MAZE-N pellet tray in a Materbuilt MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Might be worth looking into the tube also. I had a tray when I had my mes30 and it was kinda a pain without the mailbox mod. Just a little too wide I thought for the smoker. Tube might have worked out a lot better. I’ll others have stated pulling the chip loader out a little bit gives more airflow and helps keep it lit!

I also prefer the tube unless I am cold smoking and using dust. I can tell one place to Not to put it and that anywhere on top of the heat deflector! I had the worst fire. The pellets lit than the grease in the bowl. Tried to pull bowl out had burning grease all over the patio. Amazing only got minor burns.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tallbm
Might be worth looking into the tube also. I had a tray when I had my mes30 and it was kinda a pain without the mailbox mod. Just a little too wide I thought for the smoker. Tube might have worked out a lot better. I’ll others have stated pulling the chip loader out a little bit gives more airflow and helps keep it lit!

Thanks. I just ordered 2 12" tubes from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow. I'll add the U bolts later tomorrow in time to smoke a brisket flat on Sunday. I will lower the back of the assembly as others have done but will try smoking with regular pellets vice trying to grind them up in a blender.

Reactions: MJB05615 and tallbm
Thanks. I just ordered 2 12" tubes from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow. I'll add the U bolts later tomorrow in time to smoke a brisket flat on Sunday. I will lower the back of the assembly as others have done but will try smoking with regular pellets vice trying to grind them up in a blender.
If you ever need to make pellet dust just get some wet and they will puff up.
If you dry them they will fall apart into dust at the touch. Easy way to make dust from pellets :)

You will get heavier smoke from whole pellets,ground/crushed pellets are a much better option to get tbs.

If you haven't read this I suggest to doing so as myself and many others have contributed to it:

How you make your dust is up to you but a cheap blender makes pellets into any course of dust you want in moments.Soaking and drying takes time and the dust comes out one way...very fine and a fair amount of it will fall out thru the holes/slots in the tube.

Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks very much for that. It seems as though the majority favor the tray and placed on the lower rack right side. I'm going to buy both the tube (and add the U bolts myself) and the 5x8 tray and give each a try. Neither are very expensive and the pellets will work in either. Am going to do my usual this weekend using MES' standard configuration and smoke a pork butt using the smoker/oven technique. We like the end result when the butt is finished in the oven. Oh, and using my secret rub made, in part, with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.

Best

J Buck
U.S. Coast Guard Aviation 1965-1971

View attachment 527596

P.s. Our exposure to Vietnam was minimal. Land the C-130 at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, off load
whatever it was we carrying, get the hell out and back to Kadena or Naha (in time for happy
hour at the O club.)

Oh, and thank you for your service!

That's a great idea, if your wallet isn't empty. They'll not go to waste.

AndWelcome Home to you too!!
I don't think any C-130 could land in Dong Tam.
I think the only large craft that could land there was a Caribou. (on a Dime)

I got to eat one time in an Air Force Dining Room, at Tan Son Nhut AFB. Boy did they eat good there!!!

Bear

Thanks. Yes, I DID read the U bolt mod article. Great article and pictures. As soon as my tubes (2) arrive I'll take one of them with me to Lowes/Home Depot/Ace and get the U bolts and put it together. Just bought a 5 pound brisket (flat) from my local butcher and will smoke it per all the advice here in the forums and Jeff's Smoking Meat book. Going to do Texas style this time (Salt and Pepper) using cherry pellets.

Thanks again for you help.

Thanks. Yes, I DID read the U bolt mod article. Great article and pictures. As soon as my tubes (2) arrive I'll take one of them with me to Lowes/Home Depot/Ace and get the U bolts and put it together. Just bought a 5 pound brisket (flat) from my local butcher and will smoke it per all the advice here in the forums and Jeff's Smoking Meat book. Going to do Texas style this time (Salt and Pepper) using cherry pellets.

Thanks again for you help.
Heads up. Cherry pellets do NOT want to stay lit on their own. You may want to mix in something that burns well like oak with them if you have it.
Trust me I've fought and fought and fought with 100% cherry and it just doesnt want to stay lit in pellet form. I think dust form works though but double check concerning the cherry dust staying lit :)

Heads up. Cherry pellets do NOT want to stay lit on their own. You may want to mix in something that burns well like oak with them if you have it.
Trust me I've fought and fought and fought with 100% cherry and it just doesnt want to stay lit in pellet form. I think dust form works though but double check concerning the cherry dust staying lit :)

Cherry Dust works good in the AMNPS, but Cherry pellets don't.
I don't know about the Tube---I never tried cherry pellets in my tube.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky