A loaf of meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
Was in the low 40's today and sunny. Couldn't help but get out and smoke something today! Didn't have a lot of time so went for a bacon wrapped meatloaf. The family loved it! My only complaint is that the bacon didn't crisp up at all. I cooked at around 250 most of the cook but cranked it up to about 300 the last 30 minutes or so in attempt to get some crispness but it just didn't happen. I did sauce before doing that and I wonder if that had an effect. What do you all do to get your bacon weave crispy? Would it be a faux paux to broil it at the end?

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this smoke.
20190126_140354.jpg
20190126_181125.jpg
20190126_181216.jpg

Was in the low 40's today and sunny. Couldn't help but get out and smoke something today! Didn't have a lot of time so went for a bacon wrapped meatloaf. The family loved it! My only complaint is that the bacon didn't crisp up at all. I cooked at around 250 most of the cook but cranked it up to about 300 the last 30 minutes or so in attempt to get some crispness but it just didn't happen. I did sauce before doing that and I wonder if that had an effect. What do you all do to get your bacon weave crispy? Would it be a faux paux to broil it at the end?

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this smoke. View attachment 386560 View attachment 386561View attachment 386563
Looks good, i like to cook mine at 325, and sauce at the end

Reactions: DustyJoe84
Gotta cook at a higher temp in order to render that bacon.
325° is okay, 350°-375° is more like it.
Glaze right at the end, last 15-20 minutes and serve piping hot or glaze will soften the bacon.

Some are using a torch to crisp bacon.

I've used the broiler at 400° to crisp meatloaf and fatties, but usually do fine at higher smoker temps.

Another thing to consider is that the bacon under each weave will not crisp no matter what.
Some of us don't weave and instead just use individual rings of bacon.

Last edited:
Since I got a MES, I can never really crisp the bacon, but I'll put fatties or meatloaf in the oven and use broil for a bit to crisp the outside. It works! Some folk use a blowtorch as well.

Sonny just make one and freeze half...so you can pull it out at a later date for sammies! <Though my theory is if you stuff it with good cheese and bacon wrap it..she might like it>

Sonny just make one and freeze half...so you can pull it out at a later date for sammies! <Though my theory is if you stuff it with good cheese and bacon wrap it..she might like it>

Well, she does sneak tastes when I'm not lookin.
But I don't think she will blindly eat my experimental cooking. LOL!
I think her culinary view is more like a Porthole, than a Picture Window.
If you get my drift. :emoji_laughing:

Oi Sonny. Seriously though, I use steve rinella's meatloaf recipe <sans the pine nuts> and alot of people like it. it's not bland at all with the cheese and spinach etc.

As said above, I don't do the weave anymore, cause the bacon underneath never gets crispy.
I've also found that a propane torch with a Searzall attachment will crisp up the bacon quickly without further cooking the meat under it.
Al

Thanks everyone for the tips! This is why I love this forum so much! I've heard people say that once you smoke a meatloaf it's hard to go back to an oven baked one. I now know that to be true! That smoke flavor can't be beat!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this smoke. View attachment 386560 View attachment 386561View attachment 386563
I must try this!. Looks awesome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky