A little moose jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by bladebuilder, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Made a couple pounds of moose jerky, call it a test run in the new smoke house. I used to use a MES, until it crapped out. It took hours, to drive off the moisture, and get a good chewey product that wasn't wet. Before that I used a Little Chief electric smoker.

So I tried a commercially available blend of spices, from a retailer in Edmonton, Alberta, called Mountain Blend. Added the appropriate amount of cure #1, as well as brown sugar, the spice blend was a tad hotter than I prefer. Then into the refer overnight. That gave me time to build the jerky tray for the smoke house. It is oak framed, and the mesh is 5 mesh stainless (5 squares per linear inch). Didnt get any before pics sorry 'bout that!

On the tray in the smoker, I used some of Todd's Pitmasters Choice, in the AMNPS

The jerky was done in under 3 hours, here it is cut for vac packing. Used the VacMaster Pro 260

And after packaging...

SWMBO, wanted to go get groceries, to this had more time in the smokehouse that I wanted, I would have pulled it earlier. Turned out drier than I was aiming for, but a successful first run.

pattyq likes this.
  2. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

BB, Nice looking smokehouse and jerky!

3. Nice looking jerky. The smoke house also looks good.

Happy smoken.

David

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking jerky! Nice smoke!

5. Good looking stuff .... Love the individual packaging .