A Few One-Armed Cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
x-rayed a couple weeks back due to not having control of my right arm now I'm looking at shoulder replacement surgery down the road, it's always something
love that teriyaki stirfry
Ray, first off the meals look fantastic, and I really love the Teriyaki dish.

Now sorry to hear about your shoulder, with the work we do , and as we( me ) get older, we do wear out. It still sucks though
I am going in tomorrow for my Ultra Sound on both of my shoulders ( took almost a whole year to get it ) My Doc says he wants to see what is really going on inside, with the surgery being the last resort.

David

Reactions: sawhorseray
Years ago I broke my left hand. I was only left hand dependent for 2 things, writing and wiping.
Writing I learned in a week. Wiping was never satisfactory.
Luckily a broken hand went away in 8 weeks.

Good luck on your recovery

hey in '13 i got titanium right shoulder..it tooka year to raise damn arm over my head but im old... same yr i had second knee scoop. i get shots in it every 3 months,, and last yr i developed neuropathy so some days i cant walk. Oh i'm on disability for my back.. it sucks being old.

Jesus wept, Ray. It just never seems to end, does it. After 46 years driving semis, I just keep track of time by what part of me went south that year. They ain't the golden years, they're the rust years. But hey, it still beats the alternative.
Just keep putting out meals like these and freeze a bunch of them, so you'll survive until you can start cooking again. Salads are good, but they need meat and potatoes along with them.
Good luck with the surgery. You can always grab a pencil with your teeth and peck away at a post to keep us up to date. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: Gary

Thanks Gary! Yeah, it just seems to be one thing after another, adjust, life goes on. Thanks for the Like Gary, I do appreciate it. RAY

Geez, even with a bum shoulder you are plating better looking meals than I am with two hands. Jim
Thanks Jim, but don't sell yourself short, I've been seeing you put out some great cooks! Thank you for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Well heck Ray, thinks it's time for you to go on tour... a tour of all your friends houses! Sure many would be happy to cook and share with ya! Bring the rest of the family too, but make sure Bob knows I don't have a pool. Guaranteed to be some alcohol involved in your treatment!
But on a more serious note...wish you the best! Ryan

Thanks Ryan! You know I drove up to Mountain House , Idaho to get Bob when he was eight weeks old, so jumping into a cow pond is most likely in his genes. Thanks for the Like Ryan, I appreciate it. RAY

Great looking grub Ray! Good luck with the shoulder.

Thanks Denny, I'm sure hoping the surgeon does a better job than I do at gutting a wild hog! Tanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Some fine looking meals Ray. Get that wing fixed and you'll be good as new and right back at it !

Thanks 912, what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
Years ago I broke my left hand. I was only left hand dependent for 2 things, writing and wiping.
Writing I learned in a week. Wiping was never satisfactory.
Luckily a broken hand went away in 8 weeks. Good luck on your recovery

Thanks FA, I'm thinking this will provide a excellent opportunity to see exactly how ambidextrous I can be! RAY

Ray, first off the meals look fantastic, and I really love the Teriyaki dish. Now sorry to hear about your shoulder, with the work we do , and as we( me ) get older, we do wear out. It still sucks though. I am going in tomorrow for my Ultra Sound on both of my shoulders ( took almost a whole year to get it ) My Doc says he wants to see what is really going on inside, with the surgery being the last resort. David

Thanks DRK! Sounds like we're in the same boat, after one shoulder heals the doc will have to cut the other. Swinging a hammer and golf clubs for over 30 years just catches up with a man I reckon. Both of my shoulders are full of arthritis, there's really no other choice. Good luck on your appointment, wishing you the best, be prepared for some disappointment. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

hey in '13 i got titanium right shoulder..it tooka year to raise damn arm over my head but im old... same yr i had second knee scoop. i get shots in it every 3 months,, and last yr i developed neuropathy so some days i cant walk. Oh i'm on disability for my back.. it sucks being old.

Well hell, look on the bright side, if you were a horse they'd a probably shot you by now!

Thanks DRK! Sounds like we're in the same boat, after one shoulder heals the doc will have to cut the other. Swinging a hammer and golf clubs for over 30 years just catches up with a man I reckon. Both of my shoulders are full of arthritis, there's really no other choice. Good luck on your appointment, wishing you the best, be prepared for some disappointment. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY
Thanks Ray
Had my U.S. on shoulder today, they would only do one because that's all the Doctor wrote down. I should know in a couple days they said . So with my Doctor that means a couple weeks at most I hope. Yes years of carrying too much on shoulders and extension of reach with the tools and just to hard on the old joints. Hard to yell at the boss when it is yourself and the job just has to get done. Not even going to talk about my knees after working on lots of concrete floors in the winter. Really notice itr now when i am doing flooring for a few days in a row.
Time will tell about my shoulders, what i think i already know.
Thanks
David

Some good lookin plates there Ray . I'm sure you can figure away to make it happen with some of them .
Weird feeling when your brain tells your arm / hand to do something and nothing happens . Had my right shoulder scoped in '07 . Finally feels pretty good . Cut out shredded muscle and pulverized bone . Sounds like broken glass and no extended reach .
I need to get the knees drained and re-shot with " the juice "
Good luck bud .

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It looks like you're learning to adjust. Ultimately life about adjusting. Your wife is there to help and you'll need plenty of the for a while even after the sugary. I understand shoulder take time.
I have an autoimmune disease that causes me to fatigue quickly. Can't stand but for brief periods and back enough bask where I have to use a walker. So I have learned to use a wheeled stool. I have one in the kitchen and outside. The process has slowed down but continues. One can't stop doing what they love, just find a work around. I know one person in a wheelchair with on use of his legs an limited use of his hands and he out does me! So I can't complain to loudly
Good luck on your journey

Last edited:
Weird feeling when your brain tells your arm / hand to do something and nothing happens .
Good luck bud .

No kidding Rich. First time that happened to me was six years ago right after I got a hip replaced, thought I was having a stroke, fingers didn't work. If nothing else it helps a man in connecting with his own mortality, we ain't going to live forever, nobody does. RAY

Holy Shoot, Ray!!!
Real sorry to hear about your shoulder, but if good food will help, you're in good shape!!
Nice Jobs---All of them!!
Like.

Bear

It all looks real good Ray! BIG LIKE... Me , I am this close to doing a deep dish pizza....

YAY, thank you John! It's been a long haul tho it sounds like you're turning the corner, great to hear! Sounds like it won't be too long until you can get over here for a sausage lunch once the pool heats up, Bob hasn't had anyone live to bark at in quite some time, he misses you almost as much as I do. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

Holy Shoot, Ray!!! Real sorry to hear about your shoulder, but if good food will help, you're in good shape!! Nice Jobs---All of them!! Like. Bear

Thanks Bear, just another bump in the road to get over, they keep coming up! Thanks for the Like John, I appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Ray, Sue is wanting a smoked meatloaf (and I think I can eat it as things are getting much better in that regard) so I am doing one today since it is going to be nice out.

And I got out a pork butt to do on Wednesday, some of which is going to end up on the pizza that I am going to do on the grill this weekend....:emoji_laughing:

So life is going in the right direction finally!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky