A Few One-Armed Cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After getting x-rayed a couple weeks back due to not having control of my right arm now I'm looking at shoulder replacement surgery down the road, it's always something. Still, a guy has to eat, and I far prefer my own chow over what my wife will pull off, there will be enough of that later. I've taken to wearing a kevlar glove for any blade work to keep from chopping my hand off, welder glove when at the stove.
Bacon cheeseburgers off the BS flattop have been a mainstay
DSCN2875.JPG

I'll be making sure to have plenty of meals like these Weber'd ribs for the sous vide pot on hand.
DSCN2927.JPG

Ravioli is something even the wife can do with micro veggies!
DSCN2904.JPG

I'm thinking a crockpot chucky just might be in her wheelhouse too.
DSCN2944.JPG

I do all the fryin', probably going to miss that fish and chicken
DSCN2942.JPG
DSCN2858.JPG

Won't be using the chopsticks anytime soon either I reckon. Man I love that teriyaki stirfry from the patio wok!
DSCN2936.JPG

I figure I just might be able to do yardbird legs with the Vortex without burning down the house, we'll just see.
DSCN2933.JPG

Hell, I bet I might even lose a few pounds eating salad five nights a week for a coupe of months! Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe! RAY

that all looks fabulous! Sorry about the shoulder, but I know how it goes, stuff wear out or get busted. its part of the deal sometimes.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Fine looking chow, Sir!
I'm guessing that after a couple of "salad nights" you'll figure out how to cook one-armed and you'll have the Mrs. to help ;-)
With my Mrs's bad back I already do 99% of the cooking and If this right knee finally decides it needs replaced I don't know what we'll do. Get by, I guess.
Good luck and carry on!
Dan

Well dog gonnit Ray! Sorry to hear about your shoulder. But you know how it goes. We all spend our younger years tearing up our bodies to make a buck or two, then when we can enjoy the fruits of our labor, we're worn out and falling apart.
Golden years my ass!

But from your pics, I'd say you haven't lost your "touch" relatively speaking.

Nice looking plates of food!

Best wishes with the shoulder, and yes pack the freezer full of goodies for quick meals for the recovery for sure!

Bummer about your shoulder but your cooks certainly look outstanding. The trouble with parts wearing out is that you can't go to the parts store because they don't have parts for us older models anymore.

Ray, sorry to hear about the shoulder, I'm sure in the long run when it's all healed up, you'll be better than new. All of those meals look delicious. If you're able to do this well, one handed, wait til you get your new shoulder dialed in as good as you got that Weber dialed in! Hope you keep us posted on your progress. Stay safe my friend.

that all looks fabulous! Sorry about the shoulder, but I know how it goes, stuff wear out or get busted. its part of the deal sometimes.

Thanks Dave! I reckon I ought to be happy enough it's lasted this long, 33 years swinging a hammer and golf clubs every day finally added up. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Fine looking chow, Sir! I'm guessing that after a couple of "salad nights" you'll figure out how to cook one-armed and you'll have the Mrs. to help ;-) With my Mrs's bad back I already do 99% of the cooking and If this right knee finally decides it needs replaced I don't know what we'll do. Get by, I guess. Good luck and carry on! Dan

Thanks Dan! they say life is full of choices, until you've got no choice. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

They all look good Ray. I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. Rob

Thanks Rob, it was kind of what I was expecting, but not thrilled to hear. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Well dog gonnit Ray! Sorry to hear about your shoulder. But you know how it goes. We all spend our younger years tearing up our bodies to make a buck or two, then when we can enjoy the fruits of our labor, we're worn out and falling apart. Golden years my ass! But from your pics, I'd say you haven't lost your "touch" relatively speaking.

Ain't that the truth Stu, I've already had both hips replaced, soon I'll have all new parts! Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

Holy Hell Ray!! All of that looks incredible buddy. One-armed or not, that's some fine looking chow my friend...probably better than I can do with both arms somewhat working. I know from our similar backgrounds and what you've noted about the progression of the issues that I'll be going through the exact same thing in the not too distant future. Already got one knee that needs to be re-worked that I trashed playing foot ball and one elbow that's completely destroyed from a nasty fall at work. Oh the joys that I have to look forward to :emoji_disappointed: Congrats for making the best of it though and turning out some top shelf food.

Robert

Nice looking plates of food! Best wishes with the shoulder, and yes pack the freezer full of goodies for quick meals for the recovery for sure!

Thanks Civil, I'll be looking for Freezermart to be holding a special about six nights a week if possible. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Bummer about your shoulder but your cooks certainly look outstanding. The trouble with parts wearing out is that you can't go to the parts store because they don't have parts for us older models anymore.

Oh new parts are available Kruizer, the price of getting them home and in working order is where things get dicey! Thank for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Ray Ray Ray. All of those cooks look amazing man! As long as your wife knows how to pour bourbon and bring you beers I think you will be able to handle some crock pot and SV cooking!

Thanks John, she'll be watching me like a hawk! She'll most likely be shutting down the lounge a bit earlier too, women are like that. Thanks for the Like my friend, much appreciated. RAY

Your doing better cooking and plating, one handed, than I can do with two. Best luck with the shoulder. I've been told that I need both replaced. I'm still in denial and toughing it out.

I was the same way getting both my hips replaced six years ago, put it off and suffered for about seven years. Shoulders are scary and take a ton of time to heal up, I won't let them cut me until after summer, that way there will at least be football to watch! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray, sorry to hear about the shoulder, I'm sure in the long run when it's all healed up, you'll be better than new. All of those meals look delicious. If you're able to do this well, one handed, wait til you get your new shoulder dialed in as good as you got that Weber dialed in! Hope you keep us posted on your progress. Stay safe my friend.

Thanks Mike! I'm sure when the time comes I'll be tuned into SMF tho I won't be doing any typing. I actually feel pretty darned good today after getting shots in both shoulders yesterday, not as much pain tho a lot more clicking, hate it. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Holy Hell Ray!! All of that looks incredible buddy. One-armed or not, that's some fine looking chow my friend...probably better than I can do with both arms somewhat working. I know from our similar backgrounds and what you've noted about the progression of the issues that I'll be going through the exact same thing in the not too distant future. Already got one knee that needs to be re-worked that I trashed playing foot ball and one elbow that's completely destroyed from a nasty fall at work. Oh the joys that I have to look forward to :emoji_disappointed: Congrats for making the best of it though and turning out some top shelf food. Robert

Robert my dear friend, I wouldn't wish this on anybody, seems we have to pay the price sooner or later for making a living the hard way. If I knew then what I know now I'd still do it all over again, so would you, it's a part of what made us what we are. Thanks you for your friendship Robert, it makes going thru this stuff a lot easier than it could be. RAY

Great looking food Ray. Bump in the road for a bit. I'm sure it won't shut you down for long. Best of luck. . .

Thanks WR! I'll have plenty of time to perfect The Seven P's: Proper Planning Prevents Pathetically Piss-Poor Performance! Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Jesus wept, Ray. It just never seems to end, does it. After 46 years driving semis, I just keep track of time by what part of me went south that year. They ain't the golden years, they're the rust years. But hey, it still beats the alternative.
Just keep putting out meals like these and freeze a bunch of them, so you'll survive until you can start cooking again. Salads are good, but they need meat and potatoes along with them.
Good luck with the surgery. You can always grab a pencil with your teeth and peck away at a post to keep us up to date. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
Gary

Well heck Ray, thinks it's time for you to go on tour... a tour of all your friends houses! Sure many would be happy to cook and share with ya! Bring the rest of the family too, but make sure Bob knows I don't have a pool. Guaranteed to be some alcohol involved in your treatment!
But on a more serious note...wish you the best!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky