A Collection Of My Recent Smoke Projects From My Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
I've been busy with a project this month, and I've finally been able to make some time to post the results, which are aptly called dinner(s). Pork Spare Ribs, Beef Back Ribs, Chix Thighs, and New York Steaks, spread out over the last few days off work, including Mother's Day weekend.

I'm running with no water in the pan for all of these smokes, using washed pea-gravel for a thermal sink, instead of water for controlling high chamber temps...among other mods, of course.

05-07-12 Spare Ribs & Beef Backs

Here's the goods...Pork Spares with garlic, onion, salt, a bit of parsley flake and some ground pepper, and Beef Backs with broiled steak seasoning (fine ground blend of savories and sweets)...playing with a simple seasoned meat, and going for the smoke today.

90 minutes into the smoke...Beef Backs are below...no peeking just yet:

2ccba06f_1-90min.jpg

b1263030_2-90min.jpg

3 hours into the smoke...looking for pull-back:

7d9f2727_5-3hr.jpg

79f13893_6-3hr.jpg

Here ya go...not real meaty, just a typical mechanically separated beef back rib, and even these were spendy @ $4.49/lb::

c4f58fd8_7-3hr.jpg

They'll still make for some tasty eats:

a23e4a29_8-3hr.jpg

4-hr smoke and into steam table pans to tent with foil and head into the Smoke Vault to finish for a soft bark and relatively tender rib:

856f7693_9.jpg

4380a14a_10.jpg

08e0652b_11.jpg

9b8ebb5a_12.jpg

1 hour @ 275* in the Smoke Vault 24:

4ebc50f4_13.jpg

8d023745_14.jpg

71890a8a_15.jpg

aa573c7b_16.jpg

Beef Back with pork flap meat and thin-end of the slab of Spares I trimmed off to fit onto the Gourmets 15.5" grates:

58d882f5_17.jpg

18e468e1_18.jpg

2be0d4dc_19.jpg

f5d2084f_20.jpg

df1e257f_21.jpg

69ce96e7_22.jpg

eee2e938_23.jpg

5096a825_24.jpg

Just a nice chew with a good tug on the spares and beef backs...nice change of pace and simple to cook. Best of all, they were mighty tasty! The beef backs were a great treat!

05-12-12 Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Thighs

Thighs got a good rinse, and then I shook a nice dose of Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub (for poultry) on 'em, per wifey's request for something simple...had to agree with her and roll with it, ya know...LOL!!! Besides, I want to taste the meat and smoke here...KISS method again. Oh, and my oldest daughter is coming home from college for the weekend and met the wife and younger kids for shopping, so she'll be happy to see me smoking again, too...she's one of my biggest fans...pulled chicken is one of her favorites.

A nice and small, loose fitting load, even for the Gourmet...only 5lbs here with 10 bone-in thighs:

ef6cb439_3.jpg

656c4c32_4.jpg

170* in most with a couple just under and over my target...nice grate temps from top to bottom, though they are only 4" apart with the current mods:

e467fbcb_7.jpg

f2a33fb7_8.jpg

cc318f2e_9.jpg

258749cb_10.jpg

I didn't get cut-open pics on the plate, but these were juicy and had a nice smoke flavor. Tough skin though, as I wasn't trying to do any tricks to crisp it up here, just working out mods to the smoker.

05-13-12 Mother's Day with New York Steaks, Taters and whole ear Corn

I did the double-stacker mod for this smoke, with an extra smoke chamber barrel from my Smoke n Grill. I still have grate temp variances from bottom to top with digital probes through the side of the barrel between grate positions and under the lowest grate (240* bot/205* mid/185* top), so there were med-well on bottom, med to med-rare on the middle grate, and rare on top. Popped the rare on bottom of a pre-warmed oval crock-pot, followed by med, then med-well, all in layers. So, we had some for everyone's taste (as I've said a few times before, not everything that appears to be bad actually is) and they went over great, as well as the taters and whole ear corn from the Vault. There was a ton of food there that everyone else brought as well, spread out on a 12ft buffet table, then out came the desserts...OMG what a feed!!!...6 or 7 families at the host's home, if I recall. A good day for a smoke, a gathering and feast to celebrate our dear wive's day of recognition (one of not enough, IMHO), meeting a new friend who is young to smoking (<1yr) and eager to learn and keep trying, and another mod test for the Gourmet...a mighty fine day indeed!

Just about to hit a crock-pot here...close to rare on the top grate:

8e08dc60_10.jpg

Top of the heap were med-well at the most, and actually had the juices of a medium beef steak, even after a 3-1/2 hr smoke @ ~230* average grate temps...no water in the pan may have had some effect on this, but I have no theory as to how it could...usually reduced humidity cooking chambers result in faster cooking:

54001769_11.jpg

I did find out with this smoke that 12lbs of New York Steaks will not fit in our oval crock pot...they were resting about 2-1/2 above the rim and the lid obviously was useless at that point...foil to the rescue!!!

2a6ee026_12.jpg

Russets and corn are almost ready to load for the road as well:

:
35672d58_13.jpg

e0b3781a_14.jpg

I didn't take the digi-cam along for the ride to our friends house and I was very busy socializing and munching on a lot of grindage, but believe me, there was a huge variety of entree items, sides and desserts...you can't help but to love pot-luck dinners!

Until next time...

Great smokes to all, and to all a good night!

Eric

Great Job a cross the board Eric...JJ

Thanks, everyone, I figured I better let you in on a little of what I was up to lately, just so you didn't think I threw in the towel after the double-packer smoke last month! LOL!!!

Still alive & kickin' and still smokin', just takin' it slow & easy...

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky