A big "hello" from across the pond!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ExclusiveBBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

My name's Chris, I'm 28 and I'm from Birmingham, England (UK). I've been a lover of food for some years but only recently discovered what I consider to be the best of American barbecue - Texas-style, low and slow smoked meats like brisket, ribs, pulled pork and sausage. We're lucky in the UK that some folks have tried to bring it over to the UK and replicate it, perhaps with some success, but it's not as well known as I'd like it to be so my mission is to be a good missionary and spread the good word about some of the best food in the world.

I'd love to own a proper offset smoker one day but, for now, have my eye on a Pit Barrel Cooker and hope to be setup and smoking in a few weeks time (when I can afford to buy one, along with some high-quality meat). I do own a basic kettle barbecue and I did manage to smoke some meat on there after cooking it indoors first and then putting it above some smoking wood chips for about 5 minutes - it tasted great and now I want more!

I'm also starting a YouTube channel about my journey as I'd love to start a business around my love of food one day and I think it could help others to see the journey as starting a business isn't easy and I think people would like to see where I succeed and where I fail and see all of the mistakes I make along the way. If you're interested, I can hopefully add my details to my signature shortly after I get my first video uploaded (I recorded it last night).

If you'd like to chat, please send me a message otherwise have a great day!

- Christopher Ross

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome aboard. Lots of good people and information here. Check out the search forum to find tips and recipes. Pics of smokes are always enjoyed.

Welcome from Middle TN. Check out the snake method for arranging charcoal in your kettle grill so you can do "low and slow".

Welcome aboard. Lots of good people and information here. Check out the search forum to find tips and recipes. Pics of smokes are always enjoyed.

Thank you - I hope to have some awesome pictures soon!

Welcome from Middle TN. Check out the snake method for arranging charcoal in your kettle grill so you can do "low and slow".

Just took a look and it makes sense - I may have to try this at the weekend, thank you! :)

Welcome Christopher!!
Glad you joined us!!
You're way ahead of me---At age 28 I was still in my Hibachi Grilling Stage!!

Bear

Welcome to the site Chris, happy to have ya join the fun. Good luck and have fun making the videos.

Chris

Welcome to the site Chris, happy to have ya join the fun. Good luck and have fun making the videos.

Chris

Thanks so much!

Welcome! Keep on smoking I bet you can make some pretty good Q off the kettle grill. How's the meat selection in the UK? Was just curious how it compared to the states

I think, since discovering the snake method, I'm going to try something on it this week - wish me luck.

I believe we're quite proud of how we source meat in the UK. Especially since incidents with some of our biggest supermarkets, where horse meat was found in frozen meals, the desire for good quality meat has risen over the past few years as well. Nobody here is ever 'proud' of getting a good price on meat - in fact, people often boast/gloat about how much they paid and you'll find a lot of people have easy access to farmers from whom they can buy meat directly. It's also common for people to ask their local butchers where they sourced their meat as we just like to know. One thing that I absolutely love is the lamb that we have; it is expensive but it's one of my favourite types of meat to cook and I notice that it's not as popular over in the USA.

Welcome from Wisconsin. :emoji_cat:

Thank you! :)

Good luck this weekend! My good friend has turned out some awesome Q using the snake method on his kettle. Some of the best I've ever had to be honest. Looking forward to seeing those videos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky