A Bear From Log to Finish (Picture Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First I ever saw this. Very cool work, Bear. How long from start to finish?

Thank You Jef!!
The 6' & 7' Grizzlies took about 60 hours, and all the little Black Bear Cubs took about 40, except the one climbing my end logs. That one was about 50 hours, because I had to get the Paws to all fall on a log of it's own.
That's actual carving time, with an Old man doing about 2 to 3 hours per day.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Amazing work! You are definitely an artist!

Thank You!!

Bear

Holy Smokes Batman! I am new to this forum and I'm really glad this thread came back to life. Is it not a sticky? If not, it should be. OK Bear, since being here I now see you are Da man with MES and now I learn you are also Da Man with the carvings. So,...................... I wonder if anyone can tell where I'm going with this.............................. Yep.

I say you should carve a wooden MES clone and smoke with it. Yes sir, that would be an awesome smoker rat thar. Man, a wooden smoker. Talk about being insulated!!!!

I noticed you said you don't/can't carve anymore but maybe you can find a student? Pass along the skills? Just a thought. Maybe a neighbor? Friend? Family member? Or if you come to S Texas, maybe a fellow forum member? I dunno, maybe a guy called Tex 1911? LOL.

Nice work and finally, thank you for your service to our great country! (Tip hat). Thank you.

Thank You for all the Kind Words, Tex!
My Son can do pretty well, but he needs practice, and with his Tower Business booming, he just doesn't have the time for Chainsaw Carving.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thankfully, you post this every year around this time. And every year I reread it and again marvel at the quality of your workmanship John. Please don't ever miss a year. I look forward to seeing it and would really miss the pleasure of the pictures.
I'd give you POINTS every year if that were allowed.
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I just ran into your post above, so I figured I should Bump this up again.

Bear

I love those Bears, I was going to slip one in the car when we visited John and Linda this Summer, But John was always looking. Those Bears look good in the Pics , but the pics really don't do them Justice
Up close you can see how much work went into them.

Gary

I love those Bears, I was going to slip one in the car when we visited John and Linda this Summer, But John was always looking. Those Bears look good in the Pics , but the pics really don't do them Justice
Up close you can see how much work went into them.

Gary

LOL---They couldn't take the warm weather down there---They'd soon find their way home.

BTW: Did you know Black Bears really do have the ability to find their way home.
They've been experimenting with them for years. It seems they have some kind of magnetic ability. When they find a problem Bear in PA, they sometimes fly them hundreds of miles from home, but they find their way home. They watch them while they're on their way home. They say they start out in a direct line toward home. When they stray off a few degrees of Azimuth, they stop, and get up on their hind legs. And when they come back on all Fours again, they have corrected their Azimuth---Heading home again. Every time they get off the needed Azimuth, they do that same thing---Get up on the hind legs, and correct the Azimuth before coming back down on all fours. Amazing!!! I heard this about 20 years ago from the foremost Authority on Black Bears "Gary Alt", so I don't know what changed or if anything new on this has been discovered.

Bear

Very Cool ! My wife is concerned about the Bear Attacks. She is worried for the ones on your deck. (hee hee).
You say the a chainsaw is not essential equipment for carpentry (maybe not cabinet making). I had 22 years in custom homes before I got in the Union and worked on roof structures. Quite a bit of our work was with the chainsaw. We would get truck loads of glulams, unwrap them and stack, then cut 8 or 10 of them at a time. I even got good at cutting plywood laps with the chainsaw, using just the tip, as it would be easier that stringing out a cord and skillsaw.
I admire your work on the bears and your Smokecraft.
Thank you for your contributions here.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Very Cool ! My wife is concerned about the Bear Attacks. She is worried for the ones on your deck. (hee hee).
You say the a chainsaw is not essential equipment for carpentry (maybe not cabinet making). I had 22 years in custom homes before I got in the Union and worked on roof structures. Quite a bit of our work was with the chainsaw. We would get truck loads of glulams, unwrap them and stack, then cut 8 or 10 of them at a time. I even got good at cutting plywood laps with the chainsaw, using just the tip, as it would be easier that stringing out a cord and skillsaw.
I admire your work on the bears and your Smokecraft.
Thank you for your contributions here.

Thank You Will !!
Yup, a chainsaw fits in a Carpenter's "Tool Box" better than a Cabinetmaker's.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Will Squared
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky