A Bear From Log to Finish (Picture Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Did I ever leave you a point for this? I did now! You're a special human being, Bear. You're one of the good ones.
Thanks a Bunch, Rick!!  I Appreciate the Kind Words!

You are a Gentleman & a Scholar!!

Bear

Thank you for sharing the story and pictures! Beautiful work, they certainly look superior to the ones i normally see out west. Most I see here are cranked out for tourists. Yours are actual art. I also liked your comment about unique work because of different perceptions of the world. Points Sir.

Thank you for sharing the story and pictures! Beautiful work, they certainly look superior to the ones i normally see out west. Most I see here are cranked out for tourists. Yours are actual art. I also liked your comment about unique work because of different perceptions of the world. Points Sir.
Thank You!!

I Appreciate the Compliments & the Point.

Bear

Master Bear Carver,

Wow, that is seriously sharp work there my friend, those bears are beautiful !!!
I have a cat someone made for a friend that passed a while ago, she gave me the sculpture, it was done with a chainsaw as well, but not with the detail and finish work your Bears have, all I can say is Wow, they really are some outstanding looking Bears !

I wanted to call you "Sir" again.................I know, but after seeing that, I think Master Bear Carver fits just perfectly 
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

Master Bear Carver,

Wow, that is seriously sharp work there my friend, those bears are beautiful !!!
I have a cat someone made for a friend that passed a while ago, she gave me the sculpture, it was done with a chainsaw as well, but not with the detail and finish work your Bears have, all I can say is Wow, they really are some outstanding looking Bears !

I wanted to call you "Sir" again.................I know, but after seeing that, I think Master Bear Carver fits just perfectly 
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif
Thank You for the nice compliments, Guy!

My 3 Big Bears are still guarding my garage, but I moved them inside now, because it's a PITA washing & repainting them every other year due to the UV destruction from the sun.

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

I've lost count on how many time I've looked at this and shown friends, Just took the tour again.

I was thinking that one of your Bears might like a climate change, Probably love East Texas (The Real One)

Gary

Master Bear Carver,

PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif
Thank You for the nice compliments, Guy!

My 3 Big Bears are still guarding my garage, but I moved them inside now, because it's a PITA washing & repainting them every other year due to the UV destruction from the sun.

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear
Yeah, no protection from the sun or the rain over time they are both great destroyers, I would have done the same, better to save the work, it is truly beautiful craftsmanship.

Yeah, no protection from the sun or the rain over time they are both great destroyers, I would have done the same, better to save the work, it is truly beautiful craftsmanship.
I've been using McCloskey's Man O' War "Satin" Marine Spar Varnish with UV protection----2 coats every other year.

Doesn't help much, so I brought the big ones in the garage, and the little ones in the house.

They're a lot happier inside, out of the Sun.

Now the neighbors that go for walks all ask where my Bears are.

Most of them used to bring little kids here to take pics with the Bears. 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

The only one still outside is the one that climbs my Log corner. He's in pretty bad shape. 
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

Bear

I've been using McCloskey's Man O' War "Satin" Marine Spar Varnish with UV protection----2 coats every other year.

Doesn't help much, so I brought the big ones in the garage, and the little ones in the house.

They're a lot happier inside, out of the Sun.

Now the neighbors that go for walks all ask where my Bears are.

Most of them used to bring little kids here to take pics with the Bears. 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

The only one still outside is the one that climbs my Log corner. He's in pretty bad shape. 
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

Bear
Sounds like a opportunity, "Pics with Bear's Bear's", at least a dollar a pic, 5 dollars if you print in color on the spot the specific size on matte photo paper ready to be framed !

I like the little "Look Out Bear" that was a cool idea, and I got a real laugh outta those real bears attacking that Cub in the tree, that is priceless and hilarious  
yahoo.gif

* forgot - would have to put bears on roller skates :)

Last edited:
Amazing work Bear.  Enjoyed the gallery. Thanks for sharing.

I had a childhood friend whose dad carved bears with a chainsaw.  I remember the first time I went to his house I was in awe. His driveway was lined on both sides with them. Different poses, sizes, colors - but all of them had flasks in their right paw.

Jerod

Last edited:

Amazing work Bear.  Enjoyed the gallery. Thanks for sharing.

I had a childhood friend whose dad carved bears with a chainsaw.  I remember the first time I went to his house I was in awe. His driveway was lined on both sides with them. Different poses, sizes, colors - but all of them had flasks in their right paw.

Jerod
Thank You Jerod !!

I Appreciate the Compliments.

So far "Swampy", my biggest Grizzly seems to be the only one with a Beer craving. Probably didn't help that I loaned him out to a Beer Distributor for a couple years.

Bear

Love this thread, just looked at all the Pics again.

Gary

Love this thread, just looked at all the Pics again.

Gary
Thanks Gary!!

I look at the pics now & then too, and wish I could still do it.

If I could I would make a BigFoot---That would be neat !!!

Bear

Sounds like a opportunity, "Pics with Bear's Bear's", at least a dollar a pic, 5 dollars if you print in color on the spot the specific size on matte photo paper ready to be framed !

I like the little "Look Out Bear" that was a cool idea, and I got a real laugh outta those real bears attacking that Cub in the tree, that is priceless and hilarious  
yahoo.gif

* forgot - would have to put bears on roller skates :)
Thanks Again, Guy!!

Believe it or not, that little look-out bear was the hardest to get right:

You have to keep it attached to the log while working on it, so it's stable. (The last cut was removing the back foot from the log)

And you have to get each of the feet to end up on a log end to be able to screw it fast.

Then after it's all done, I get to see if I got all the measurements & angles right.

Bear

I just installed ALL New Pictures on this "Bear Thread", so I figured nobody would mind if I'd Bump it up for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

Bear

Being a Carpenter for the last 30 years , and a woodworker almost my whole life ,,, I NEVER get tired of looking at that .
Just awesome work . Thx for the bump . New guys will enjoy for sure .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky