A Batch of Chicken Quarters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
We had a little get together Saturday night.  I cooked up a variety of stuff... a butt, a bottom round beef roast, some SPAM, a couple loaves of bread, and this 8+lbs of chicken quarters.

ry%3D400

I got these for $0.50 per lb.

ry%3D400

I did not brine this time.  Just hit it with some JB's Fatboy Sweet Rub.  Bagged it up and let it set in the refridgerator for about 15 hours.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was cold out Saturday morning when I got started.  I tried a new charcoal this time.  I liked it.  It created a lot of ash, but it burned hot and lasted all day.  So I'll give this one a thumbs up.

ry%3D400

Had to get bundled up for this one.

ry%3D400

Used the Minion Method with a mix of Apple and Cherry Chunks.

ry%3D400

Here's several hours into the smoke when I put the chicken on.  The bottom rack is full of chiken too.

ry%3D400

And finally it's dinner time.

ry%3D400

Here's a link to the butt thread.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/102402/bone-in-butt-with-secret-rub

Here's the roast beef along with the SPAM

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...-made-into-deli-sliced-roast-beef#post_582022

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well Jay it's sure is nice to see you smoking and posting again. Now you have done it and showed me some of that rub thats stuff is the bomb and we have to do another exchange if your up to it.???? Now your yard bird looks as good as the rest of the dinner. Man I thought we were tight too I thought I would get my invite. Haeck you already had the women!!!!!!! 

icon_cool.gif

Well Jay it's sure is nice to see you smoking and posting again. Now you have done it and showed me some of that rub thats stuff is the bomb and we have to do another exchange if your up to it.???? Now your yard bird looks as good as the rest of the dinner. Man I thought we were tight too I thought I would get my invite. Haeck you already had the women!!!!!!! 
I seem to remember a jersey or Tshirt from that exchange plus a bunch of other good stuff

Damn that chicky looks good! I've tried the Fat Boy honey BBQ sauce it was really good haven't tried out any of their rubs yet. Checked out the butt and the roast beef too. Don't think it was the alcohol. Nice work!

Dude you are on a roll... That is some awesome looking chicken...

Nice job as always Jay.... can't recall ever seeing a post of yours that didn't look good and make me hungry... lol.

good lookin' grub Jay..........i gotta give it to you guys who bbq in the cold. if it gets below 50 deg i can't even git outta bed much less outside!

Hey Jay, Nice looking chicken. Glad to see you back here. More than anyone else you helped me when I first joined this site & am glad to see you posting again.

icon_cool.gif

I'm up for it.  Problem is, I'm having a little trouble locating that stuff now.  I don't know if the store is discontinuing it of what.  I like the other stuff better.  But the sweet is ok. 
icon_cool.gif

I seem to remember a jersey or Tshirt from that exchange plus a bunch of other good stuff

Yeah, Mark got a bunch of cool stuff.  I got some orange oil rag.

Just kidding. 

Damn that chicky looks good! I've tried the Fat Boy honey BBQ sauce it was really good haven't tried out any of their rubs yet. Checked out the butt and the roast beef too. Don't think it was the alcohol. Nice work!
Thanks Mark.  Their all purpose rub is good.  I can't find it anymore.  All I can find is the sweet rub.  I think the company is in Nebraska.  Maybe you have a better selection of the stuff.

good lookin' grub Jay..........i gotta give it to you guys who bbq in the cold. if it gets below 50 deg i can't even git outta bed much less outside!
Thanks Rob.  You southern boys are just soft. 

Hey Jay, Nice looking chicken. Glad to see you back here. More than anyone else you helped me when I first joined this site & am glad to see you posting again.
Thanks Al.  You've come a long way since those days of fighting with pastrami.  Glad you see you're paying it forward and helping others.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky