PHOTOS ADDED - 8th Annual South Florida Gathering 2018 (Nov 17-18)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Special Ingredient for the Rib Comp?

• Yes..this will be fun

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No..let's keep it the same

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm going to reiterate what Doug said... The Gathering is NOT a competition... So it's not expected that everybody has to cook ribs... Actually.. nobody's expected to do anything if one chooses not to...

I'm going to reiterate what Doug said... The Gathering is NOT a competition... So it's not expected that everybody has to cook ribs... Actually.. nobody's expected to do anything if one chooses not to...

Good... I’ll bring plenty of rum!

As a new member joining I'm not sure what to expect or how to prepare for this. Going to bring a few different dishes and hopefully they will get eaten at some point. I will pack the moonshine as well. Looking forward to a great camping weekend.

Reactions: ojenny and carol506
As a new member joining I'm not sure what to expect or how to prepare for this. Going to bring a few different dishes and hopefully they will get eaten at some point. I will pack the moonshine as well. Looking forward to a great camping weekend.
You should expect to have a great time. We all live trying new dishes and with with this group I'm pretty sure the shine will be popular.

Working on finalizing my packing tomorrow of non food items. Just checking on a couple things mentioned earlier.

Cornhole set: do I need to bring mine?

Mini: does anyone want the grill and hardware I have to build there of at a later time.

I will have some tequila, but I can bring some black rum as well.

Looks like some great weather coming in for the weekend.

You could only bring the moonshine and i would happy ;)

You should expect to have a great time. We all live trying new dishes and with with this group I'm pretty sure the shine will be popular.

Any all the newcomers....some of us old people on here have been bantering about comps, past food duels, what to bring and what people brought in the past....PLEASE don't be intimidated or over think it. If you brought nothing that would be just fine. If you have some super unique or event traditional recipe for a main or side course we always love to see. Also if you have a recipe that you would like to try out or maybe learn from somone who knows how to cook/make it, bring the ingredients and i believe between all the great and unique minds we have in this group we'll figure it out. Dont know what to bring (again you're not required to bring anything).....just bring some cut of meat that would feed some people and we'll do something with it :)

The biggest themes of this gathering is have fun, do as little or as much as you want, learn, teach, share and banter :)
Note: Of course bring whatever personal items you need for camping/relaxing....we dont provide spare tents and toilet paper LOL

Working on finalizing my packing tomorrow of non food items. Just checking on a couple things mentioned earlier.

Mini: does anyone want the grill and hardware I have to build there of at a later time.

Jeramy...My corn hole set is in despair so i will not have mine. I think Keith might have his? But an extra, if you have the room. I DO have a new set of bags ill bring just in case we need them.

Not a Rum fan myself but ill have bourbon and i also like Moonshine ;)

I'm bringing the vacuum seal bags that @lisa b so graciously donated from her company Vacuum Sealers Unlimited, as she does every year, that we can use for sealing up any leftovers of anything else. I'll also bring 2 of my vacuum sealers.

Lastly, ill plan to bring some cheese to cold smoke even thought the weather isnt exactly looking to chilly this weekend

sorry for the novel :)

one more thing..at the moment, as i'm putting all my gear in my prepping zone, i cannot find any of my AMazeN Smokers for cold smoking the cheese and I do not think any are getting donated this year. Will anyone have theirs with them?

I either do not have any or cannot find mine either LOL. We'll figure it out when we get there. I never heard back from Todd this year

John just made one for Jenny so if anyone wants to see how a nice clean mini looks, catch her before she fires it up.

John just made one for Jenny so if anyone wants to see how a nice clean mini looks, catch her before she fires it up.

I can't wait to see John's work.

What I am offering is for someone to take what is left, looks to be everything but the pot, and revive it for their use. I have no need for it and it is taking up some room in my shed. I do not want it back!

Reactions: carol506
O Jenny, Discus,
Ann picked up a few CI skillets from my neighbor's garage sale that could stand a good cleaning. If you are bringing the E-tank I have some examples to use. I've not seen a E-tank set up so that would be interesting. No worries if you are not bringing the set-up.
Craig

Doug,
As you were out hunting last week, you bringing the venison???
I have a big bag of pellets I can bring along.
From what the weather chic is saying we will need jackets for at least a couple nights.
Craig

Doug,
As you were out hunting last week, you bringing the venison???
I have a big bag of pellets I can bring along.
From what the weather chic is saying we will need jackets for at least a couple nights.
Craig

Well..its called hunting not always-finding LOL. We unfortunately didn't kill anything or i would for sure! Old boy that we met on the trail in the AM got a 6-point about 1/2 mile from us in the PM

My plan is to be packed up and ready thursday night...leave Friday AM. 3hr and 15 min drive so hoping to arrive around noon-1pm.

I talked to Kevin and Karin and they will not be to attend this year but have requested picture updates

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky