5O years of marital bliss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I love slaw with anything smoked. I think you said you already have a recipe. Here's one I developed over the past few years. It is nothing hugely different from recipes you've already seen, except that I use yellow mustard in place of much of the mayonnaise. I'm not a big mayo fan, but I don't like slaw that is just vinegar and sugar. I do, however, like a fair amount of sugar.

Note that I don't use any salt. It draws out too much moisture and makes the slaw too mushy for my tastes. Instead, I add it just before I eat it.

This recipe is scaled for two people.

John's Cole Slaw

½     Head cabbage shredded

1      small carrot, shredded

1      small green onion, sliced thin

2-3  tablespoons sugar

2-3  tablespoons cider vinegar

1      tablespoons mayonnaise

1½   teaspoon yellow mustard

¼     teaspoon celery salt

salt & pepper to taste (don't add salt until serving)
​Sounds good.    Gonna have to try this.

Wow, happy anniversary to you and you in laws. Can't wait to see the pics from this cook. If you are going to mix it up and not go traditional for the pulled chicken, how about @SQWIB's philly style! I can't get enough of it.

Happy Anniversary Case.  How long?

And to you and Miss Judy too Al.  51 years--that's really impressive!!! 

Miss Linda and I will be celebrating 12 years on Oct 1.  Good Lord.  That means I'd have to live to be 107 to catch up to you and Miss Judy, Al.  Somehow I just don't see that happening. 
biggrin.gif

Gary

Last edited:
Congrats to you & your other half Case... Also to your in-laws upcoming 50th ! Sounds like one hell of a menu you all are gonna have.. Thumbs Up

How about the recipes I am considering for the chicken

1. Roadside chicken:

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

This yield enough for 2-3 pounds of chicken

Blend everything together, and marinate 2-4 hours. You will need this mixture for basting while cooking.

I'd suggest making a fresh batch and not to use the mix that you used to marinate the chicken in.

2. White BBQ Chicken

1 1/2 cup mayo

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 garlic clove minced

1 tbs coarse ground pepper

1 tbs spicy brown mustard

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp horseradish

This yield enough for 2-3 pounds of chicken

Blend well Marinate chicken 2-4 hours. apply sauce to chicken while grilling.

Congrats to the Inlaws, Case!! 
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I know the Food will be Great !! 
drool.gif

If I can stay above ground for 2 more years, Mrs Bear & I will celebrate our 50th too.

Bear

Congrats to the Inlaws, Case!! 
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I know the Food will be Great !! 
drool.gif

If I can stay above ground for 2 more years, Mrs Bear & I will celebrate our 50th too.

Bear
Thanks Bear!

I'm sure you'll be above ground so you better start planning the smoke!

I'm digging the sound of that white BBQ chicken!

50 years?  My inlaws and grandparents did it, but for me to get there I'll have to live for another 35 years!  Not sure she could handle me that long...

Here's my standard go to slaw recipe, that I'll be serving for the pork and chicken sandwees:

Crispy Slaw:
4 ounces granulated sugar
3/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3 cups mayonnaise
1 tablespoon celery seed
1/4 cup capers
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
1 head Napa cabbage, shredded
1 head Savoy cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, julienne

I'm digging the sound of that white BBQ chicken!

50 years?  My inlaws and grandparents did it, but for me to get there I'll have to live for another 35 years!  Not sure she could handle me that long...
I'm going to prepare a batch of each flavor and serve it to the in-laws. My luck they will split on which one they like better and the whole show will be off!
ROTF.gif

Father-in-law pull the beto. Add and pulled pork is off the table!!!

He wants Tri Tip! So pulled chicken and Tri tip it will be!!! I will cook the trip the day of and chicken the day before. Tri tip will get sliced and into chafing pan for serving. Pulled chicken will also be in chafing pan.

Now I have to decide how to cook the Tri tip. Feeling the 18" WSM may be the star of this show!

Last edited:
Okay the day is approaching rapidly!

All the meat is ordered and I just made a mega batch of the roadside marinade for the chicken.

The Tri tip will be marinated in Worcestershire. SPOG for the seasoning. 50/50 Kiawe-cherry for the smoke.

I may need more marinade but I'll start with this. I will be making a separate batch just for basting while cooking.

Well I have the 40 pounds of Roadside chicken done!

Now on to the Tri tip! I was going to cook it tomorrow (day if the event). But I have decided to do it tonight. I've decided to use the GOSM and the AmazeN tube with cherry.

Was only 99 degrees today. Gonna let it cool off a bit then get these the Tri tip into the smoke!

Heck.. you bumped forward a year and then another 8 weeks.. I had to go back to collect my thoughts and this shin digs origins [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]127866[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky